efficiency of fedex?

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
I need to know how dependable and trustworthy fedex is . I have MS and use about $4000 worth of drugs a month. My family will be sending me the meds and syringes etc. thru fedex or cpu. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Oh by the way I am Canadian and reside in Toronto in the beaches.
Laurie:alien:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm confused. Where are the meds going? You say you live in Toronto in the Beaches. So are the meds coming from the DR or did you move to the DR and the meds are coming in from Toronto?
Please explain.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
marmar, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with FedEx. It is my understanding that each parcel has a tracking number and can be followed all the way on the computer.

Where will you be staying. Chances are there is a FedEx rep in the town.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
marmar said:
I need to know how dependable and trustworthy fedex is . I have MS and use about $4000 worth of drugs a month. My family will be sending me the meds and syringes etc. thru fedex or cpu. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Oh by the way I am Canadian and reside in Toronto in the beaches.
Laurie:alien:

No idea what cpu is , if you mean the post office, ANY post office, forget it to the DR. Won't arrive. Ours (I am in Toronto too) is bad enough, the DR is like a 3rd world country's post office.....wait a minute!... it IS a 3rd world country's post office.

As for FedEx , for envelopes it has been 2 day delivery in my experience, but for parcels with medicine, you better call 1-800 GO - FEDEX and ask them.

I would suggest a small test parcel first, and when you mention where you will be and for how long we may figure out something, e.g. very remote maybe FedEx don't go there ( DHL probably will). E.G.: Where you live now is not useful info at all.

Also where you are it may be just as easy and maybe cheaper if you are paying at all, to buy the syringes since they are available at the drug stores. Vs. having syringes in a package.

Finally I would strongly recommend in BOTH English and Spanish a prescription from the Canada MD inside the package and with a note saying something like life saving emergency medicine etc. for the snoops at customs.

Also make sure your deliveries overlap by a week or 10 days each time to allow for the inevitable lost or delayed one.

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
I will be living in Perla Marina for 6 months each year. It is located between Sosua and Cabarete. Thanks,

Laurie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
marmar, I get medicine frequently from the US. It comes by EPS, the courier service I use between the US and the DR. I have never had any trouble getting this medicine, and it always is opened by customs before it gets to me. There are no notes about urgent need, no prescriptions, etc., just the medicine and some info sent by the supplier.

Sosua Business Services is the UPS agent in Sosua and may be for FedEx as well. Why not send Angie Wolff an email at s.bservices@codetel.net.do and ask her what she recommends. She has been dealing with EPS, UPS and FeEx for years.

Syringes are readiy available at any farmacia for only a couple of pesos each. No need to have them sent. I buy them all the time. It is an over the counter item here.

BTW, Angie Wolff of Sosua Business Services is a Canadian expat.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Luarie,

I also live in Perla Marina and have used Federal Express many times in the past with excellent results. They send a truck over from Santiago to our area every workday morning and their service has always been extremely quick, even amazingly so at times. You have the tracking number that you can use to check the package status on the internet or by calling their office (they speak english). Based upon my experience, I highly recommend their services.

Gregory

P.S. Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Sosua Business Services is the UPS agent in Sosua and may be for FedEx as well.
Ooh, what happened to Rafael Merete - he always had the UPS office in Sosua, just under Wendy Juma's office, you know?

FedEx out of Santiago is pretty pro - probably better than Sto Dgo's branch. (Better luck with customs, too.) FedEx will deliver to your door in Sosua and other areas outside the bigger cities, and always best with excellent addressing technique and regular follow-up via phone with tracking number.

DHL out of Canada has not been bad for me either and is slightly cheaper.

Edited to add: If shipping any meds, figure out the best and most concise way to describe them on the package and if possible get the correct HS code for them - this helps avoid delays.

Last edited:

philly

Feb 14, 2003
have used fed ex several times in the last year from philadelphia/boston to Santiago ... have never had a problem ... package always arrived quickly....delivered to my door...never anything missing....have sent meds, computer parts, important documents, money....etc...

--philly

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Jerry K,

There is no Fed Ex in Puerto Plata, but if you need something picked up, just call them in Santiago and they will stop by on the next days run!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Laurie here are the web sites for Fedex and UPS
UPS has locations at Mail Boxes Ect. in Canada. Maybe a call to both of them would get you a straight answer on how much it will cost and where your package will be delivered.

Hope this helps