the VERY BEST rum

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I want to bring back to the USA 2-3 bottles for gifts of the best rum--rum that can be sipped like a cordial.
What should I buy??

JOHN

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
johne said:
I want to bring back to the USA 2-3 bottles for gifts of the best rum--rum that can be sipped like a cordial.
What should I buy??

JOHN

Brugal Extra Viejo or for the real snobs the Barcelo Superior in the round tin with the bottle inside.

The Brugal will be RD$120-135 the barcelo around RD$700 so guess which one is the one I'd pick?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: other options

calamardoazul said:
Brugal Siglo de Oro

and Brugal unico is a liquor made of the finest domininican rum

I wonder if Americans can tell the difference since they grow up on Bacardi, etc?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Barecelo Imperial is the best rum to drink the rest (ex: brugal extra viejo, etc) is chopo drink.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Chopo rules

EEUU
Russia
Espa?a
Belgium
Chile
Italy

All those countries have chopo's preferences since they are drinking brugal like hell.

travelbug

Dec 31, 2003
Ron Brugal is the bomb! How much is nowadays down there anyway?

When I lived down there we have Cuba Libres all the time!

Which is the sweetest of Brugal rums?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
EEUU
Russia
Espa?a
Belgium
Chile
Italy

All those countries have chopo's preferences since they are drinking brugal like hell. Calamardoazul

The resaon these foreign countries love brugal so much is because when they come to DR, they only socialized with chopos, hookers and low life sankies. Show me one tourist who knows a single decent dominican and I will show you 20 who hang with hookers and sankies. For that reason bachata is also very popular in european states.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chiri and AZB are both right in this case

However, Barcel? Imperial at RD$219 a bottle is the best rum for pre or post prandial drinking. Pre-prandial: On the rocks with a twist. After dinner in a tall glass with soda. Never Coke or other soft drinks.

A nice cocktail is Fresh Orange Juice and Imperial, a better combination than a whiskey sour...jmho

For mixing either the Brugal Extra Viejo ("Mallita") or the Bermudez Dorado are fine.

For Rum Punches the Brugal or Bermudez 151? is preferred for soaking the fruit, an just a tad in the punch itself. I posted onthis some time ago.

HB

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
just FMY

Are russian Hard Rock's chopo places?
They have selected Brugal as theirs flag drink!
Should I have to reschedule my agenda during my next visit yo moscow?
Please AZB I need some counseling.....:alien:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Chopo rules

calamardoazul said:
EEUU
Russia
Espa?a
Belgium
Chile
Italy

All those countries have chopo's preferences since they are drinking brugal like hell.

Who in the US is Drinking Brugal? Nobody I know. Brugal is in the bargain shelf at the local Licor stores here right next to Don Q.

Hard Rock Cafe's are chopo/tourist hangouts. the reason Brugal or any other brand is featured is because they are paid to do so.

The best rum on the Island of Hispaniola can be found on the other side of the Border in Haiti...Barbancourt 5 star. If it has to be Dominican Rum go with the Barcelo Imperial or Anejo.

roca

Jun 23, 2003
TONY C and AZB:

Could not have said it better myself. Brugal is a chopo rum that happens to be "en vogue". If it's quality you want, Barcelo Imperial 21, Barcelo Imperial, or Barcelo Anejo, although the latter should be the new presentation with the no refill cap. I prefer the Anejo thou as I prefer my drinks mixed, and it is a crime to mix Imperial with anything.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Re: Re: Chopo rules

Tony C said:
The best rum on the Island of Hispaniola can be found on the other side of the Border in Haiti...Barbancourt 5 star.

Tony C - I agree, Barbancourt is a pretty god rum, also for the DR side I like Barcelo Anejo.

Stay well,
Amy

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Best Dominican rums:

BRUGAL EXTRA VIEJO
RON MACORIX
BARCELO DORADO IMPERIAL

Won't be dissapointed...

Apr 26, 2002
World's Best Rums:

1. Barbancourt 5 Star (Haiti)
2. Havana Club 8 Year Old Anejo (Cuba) (Sorry Tony)
3. Pampero Aniversario (Venezuela)
4. Pusser's British Navy (BVI) (100 proof!)
5. Brugal Anejo Extra Viejo (Best Value)

Disclaimer: I still have not tried Barcelo Imperial. Please send me a bottle.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Hold on Porfirio....

Its very subjective and a matter of personal taste but although I agree that Barbancourt 5str is a superb Rum with light hints of cognac, it does not hold a place above Pampero Aniversario and I would not leave out Flor De Ca?a (Nicaragua) from the top 5.

Where do I send the Barcelo to. I have a bottle right in from of me which I am not going to drink.

Rum is a subject I am very sensitive about.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have any of you bothered to visit

www.tastings.com

They list Barcel? Imperial as the #1 rum in the world!

As for Barbancourt: I used to buy it at RD$1.25 a bottle!!

I love the 3 Star for drinking and the 5 Star for sipping.

HB

I just went there and Rum Zacapa at $40.00 a bottle is the highest rated rum...Since I pay RD$219(+/-$6.00) for my Barcel? Imperial, I am very happy.

Last edited: