Long Term Renting vs. buying

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
I have a question about renting a condo during the tourist high season. If condo owners buy units so they and their family and friends can use them, I would expect that they would want to use them when it is desirable to be in the warm climate. That means most Europeans and North Americans would use their condos in the winter months (Dec. ? March).

If I want to spend a couple of months on the north coast each winter, are there usually condos available? I am talking about a long term rental like 2 or 3 months at a time, not something you would rent for a week at the beach. I know El Neptuno is a nice location. Do they have these types of rentals? In my mind I am thinking the owners will be using their units when I would want to rent. Can anyone tell me about renting a condo each year instead of buying one? Could I rent in a good location for $1000 -1200 $US per month? Thanks.

Bob H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in El Neptuno and, yes, there are condos that are rented. Escott, a regular poster on this board, has two that he rents. But whether he wants to rent for a 3 month period I don't know. Alanindr, another poster, has a condo that he rents.

But nobody is going to guarantee you a condo for next winter. I'm sure that is true in every condo complex that meets your requirements. Each year you will have to go through the process of trying to find a condo for that winter.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Scott has 2 very nice units in El Neptuno. He has completely redecorated them and fitted them out very well. They are in a good location and I think a "steal" at the prices he charges.

Plus you get Ken and AlanDR as neighbors.

Bernice Nowack

Jan 4, 2004
What is your opinion of renting in Boca Chica for a long period of time 3-6 months..I have a friend that lives there. Is it an American area at all??Pappion

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If you rent it long enough in advance I would be happy to rent to you for a minimum of 3 months at 1350 a month for the nicest condo in El Neptuno at this point.

Unfortunately you have to rent now for next year as I book it up solid for the height of the season and have nothing to rent until April now.

Scott

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It isn't an American Area at all....

Bernice Nowack said:
What is your opinion of renting in Boca Chica for a long period of time 3-6 months..I have a friend that lives there. Is it an American area at all??Pappion

Since it isn't in the US.

But there are a lot of ex-pats, including Americans, Germans, Italians in Boca Chica. Notwithstanding that you need Spanish to get by for the most part, really.

There are many hotels that rent by the month at a discount from the daily rate and there is a decent enough place, Los Pinos that is a well run apartment building with extra by the day rooms that I am sure would be monthly if asked for.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Ken

Ken said:
But nobody is going to guarantee you a condo for next winter. I'm sure that is true in every condo complex that meets your requirements. Each year you will have to go through the process of trying to find a condo for that winter.

Do you mean that If I rented, (for example) this Dec. Jan. and Feb. I could not reserve the same condo for the following Dec. Jan and Feb? What is the difference if I reserved 1 year in advance or a few months?

Bob H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It would depend on the condo and the intentions. But at least one condo owner (Scott) knows that he plans to continue to rent his condos on a long-term basis and has no intention of seeking buyers or reserving time for his own use. He will accept your booking for next year, and maybe even the year after that if you want to book for the next two years.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
On our last trip to the dr (dec 13-27) we met up with Scott at Rocky's and he was kind enough to take us over to view his condos. Though they were a bit in transition (still some additional renovations going on and preparation for occupancy) I would not hesitate to recommend either of them.

Some of the high points I noticed were comfortable furnishings (beds, pillows, LARGER HOT WATER TANKS). It was a nice quiet neighborhood and the complex has a nice looking pool. I also believe it is only a block (?) from the beach. They also seemed to have pretty decent parking if you are renting a car for your time there.

One thing that really stands out in my mind is the comfortable furniture on the balconies. Made me want to sit down with friends and toss down a few Presidentes.

Just from the brief look we had, and the unfortunately short time chatting with Scott, I would certainly recommend them.

Rose

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Ken

appleman said:
Do you mean that If I rented, (for example) this Dec. Jan. and Feb. I could not reserve the same condo for the following Dec. Jan and Feb? What is the difference if I reserved 1 year in advance or a few months?
Bob H.
Because I will already be booked a few months in advance like I was this year. I was booked in July for February. I didn't close on the condo till July. I will book a week to a month before you book and not be able to rent to you unless you want to be close friends with the person already renting. My second condo renovations were completed the day my first renters arrived in town and that was a close one.

Scott

Miko

May 23, 2003
appleman

Read our *** New Rule ***.

Last edited by a moderator: