Hispaniola?s Top Soil

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
I have been told that satellite pictures show the boundary between the two countries on Hispaniola quite clearly.
The Eastern part is mainly green, the Western side is brown. Yes, I know about the tree planting efforts the Dominicans from time to time make, the cameras are always there. Yes, I have been told that Balaguer subsidized gas cylinders and stoves for the poor people in order to stop the felling of trees for firewood and charcoal. But governments come and go and I have witnessed what the recent shortage of LPG could do in no time to trees in this area. And I also know my neighbour who burns the hills in order to have more grazing area for his cattle. And mind you, it is not his land he is burning.The cameras are never present then. Of course it is against the law, who should know better than my dear neighbour? He holds two jobs with law enforcement agencies, the forestry and the marina. Oh yes, they also plant trees from time to time. Let us see who does a better job in the end. Top soil? No importa.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Frog:

You should take pictures and
1) Drop off copies at several newspapers and
2) at the Ministry of Environment!

See what they do.

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com