Manat? Park Is it worth the visit

MAL_Canada

Jan 4, 2004
I will be in the DR in 6 days (I am counting the hours!) and staying in the Allegro in Punta Cana.

I love nature and animals and am considering the visit to the Manat? Park. Can I get some feedback on what the park is like and whether it is worth the visit.

Also, is there anything else closeby that is worth going to. The couple I am going with do not usually leave the resort, so it would have to something that is safe to do as a single female on her own.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

woohooboo

Nov 8, 2003
I would have to say yes, if you like animals. We did the day trip with our 11 year old daughter, I thought the trip to the park was well worth the money, however food there is very expensive. Daughter swam with the dolphins at 75US. Although I did'nt think it was worth it, she certainly did. It is a nice relaxing day trip and not a distance to travel.
Enjoy and have fun.
Brenda

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yes, I think the park is worth the visit. It is a fun and safe day out and away from the resort. You can make it a day or half day excursion. The park offers free transportation to and from your resort. You can check the bus schedule with the Allegro. The price is around US $ 25.

The excursion offers the shows: the dolphins, sea lions, dancing horses, parrots, taino indians, and other entertainment. The grounds have walking paths and you can observe tropical birds, iguanas, caymens, and others. You will also enjoy the flowers and tropical growth along the footpaths. There are restaurants and of course the mandatory gift shop.

Also, if you want something different to do nearby the Allegro there is a "Gokart" track, "Tropical Racing". It is usually open from 5 pm to 10 pm and they offer free transportation. In addition there is the Marinarium closeby. It is a marine park where you can snorkel and sightsee and they offer free transportation.

www.manatipark.com

www.marinarium.com

Regards, PJT

Note: To swim with the dolphins is an additional charge.

Last edited:

MAL_Canada

Jan 4, 2004
Thank you for the information.

I want to do mostly relaxation, but I cannot resist the chance to do some other adventures and see the local nature of this beautiful country. I only wish I could afford to stay for a lot longer.

Thanks for the information on Marinarium. It sounds like something I would really enjoy. I have only snorkelled a few times, but with the beautiful waters around the DR, it would be a sin to miss the chance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Does anyone know if organisations like this one and the other one in the news recently "Friends of the Dolphins" give examples of good practice (such as Ocean World, which has excellent conditions within the parameters of a marine wildlife park) or are they against the whole thing of marine animals in captivity by definition?

Chiri

MAL_Canada

Jan 4, 2004
Actually I have just returned from the DR and unfortunatley I did go to Manati Park.

The park itself is interesting in a touristy sort of way, but the Dolphins and their deplorable living conditions, made me very angry and upset. It was not until I returned home and read the non-tourist articles about the terrible conditions and deaths that occurred to the Dolphins that I realized how long the situation had been going on and the number of dolphin deaths due to poor care.

I have since posted a thread Manati Park Slow Death for the Dolphins under the General section.

Although I wish that I had known before hand how bad the conditons were, now that I have actually been there, I can speak from my own experience. I saw no learning experience with the dolphins only a money-making grab with no consideration for the well-being of these creatures.