Planning to move to Rio San Juan....Good idea?

Bomberos

Jan 6, 2004
Hi, i'm from Montreal,Canada and i'm planning to move to Rio San Juan. I was there last year and also this year (Dec 29 to Jan 5).yes, just arrived yesterday :)

I have a family of 2 kids (1 boy (9years) and 1 girl (3 years) and a wife :)
I plan to quite my job and go live there in Rio San Juan.....probably opening a small business there, also planning to buy or construct a house.......what do you think about that??

I appreciate information on this

Thanks..

popidr

Jan 5, 2004
make sure you know where are going to live and how you are going to support yourself and most important your family. try to talk to others foreign that live in the part of the country and see if it is worthit to move down there. also talk to local that you know and see if the business that you want to start will generate money. if you are planning to construct a house make sure you get help from a local that you trust to help you find a good engineer that would not reap you. as soon as they now you are not from the country they think that you are a millioniare. also try to find out if they have good school for your kids and safety. i am planning to do that in a year, but i am from there and i know my people and the system. the better you learn the system and the people and let them know that are very familiar everything will be better for you. also find a way to meet the people who have money in the part of the country. once the local knows that you are friend with them they respect you more, not because they have money, but because they know that they know people in power. i hope you have a great time and everything work out for you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you should take off your

Rose coloured glasses.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR PHUCKING MIND??

R?o San Juan? Population 8,000. Population that can read a newspaper: 200. Population that has money to spend: 100

And you want to open a business?

If you had said Cabarete, or Sosua or Puerto Plata, maybe,

Or Santo Domingo, La Romana or Juan Dolio?? maybe..

Name me one business that you can start in Rio San Juan that will survive. Just one...

Please think before you do something as stupid as this...

HB (Hope that wakes him up!)

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
Hillbilly

I haven't had a good laugh in a while but that was good hillbilly. But perhaps you haven't considered he may be french canadian.

max43

Jan 1, 2004
Coffee all over my keyboard....

HillBilly, you should put a notice on your tread... My coffee just spilled all over my keyboard....

For a wake-up call... this is a good one... LOLLLLL

Hey!! I do understand this guy, he is just coming back from a nice trip, 30 celcius, sunshine, rum, cerveza....:cool:

When he land at Mirabel airport, minus 20C, a West wind at 60 km and 60cm(2') of snow(not sand).:confused:

I got the same feeling everytime I comeback from DR, when I open the door at the airport and I get hit by the cold wind and snow outside.... I always ask myself. What the f**k I'm doing here... I could run a computer everywhere in the world where there is a phone line and earn a living....

Marmar:

What you mean by??
??But perhaps you haven't considered he may be french canadian.??

Max

Miko

May 23, 2003
I would watch

out for stupid comments Marmar,..
uhmmm, who by the way made Cabarete and at the time made sure there was no hookers and sellers on the beach while they were running the show....

max43

Jan 1, 2004
Miko you lost me....

I check in the dictionary... all the word you write down are there... but I do not understand what you mean... If this is an inside comment... please let me know... Otherwise I will think I got a brain failure when I get my diner and a good bottle of wine (bordeau) with wifey tonight.... It is minus 48C with the wind factor tonight... not bad Hey...

Max

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think he means that French Canadians were involved in the development of Cabarete as a tourist destination.

Bomberos

Jan 6, 2004
suite......

I forget to say that i'm going to live (maybe!!) there with 100,000 RD$/ months, just in interest. I will leave my money (capital) in a bank account in DR and also, i will keep my bank account here in Canada with all my saving. (I sold all my property here)

When i said: opening a business, i mean just to do something there, not just playing golf and beach!

Probably opening a bar and small restaurant, to keep me busy.

By the way MARMAR, yes i'm a french canadian...........got a problem with that??

thanks

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Moving to Rio San Juan???

All I have to say is that moving there sounds incredibly crazy and unresearched. Rio San Juan. Okay a great place to visit-quizas but move from Montreal (in spite of the cold winter)! What can be the motive other than great weather and relaxation? Basically the north of the DR which includes Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete etc. what kind of business is there for any foreigner that will be profitable? I think you are having post vacation syndrome. It happens to me everytime I return from Sto. Domingo but believe me I do want live there unless I win the lottery here in Toronto and then I would go there to live. But depend on the income from the DR- no way! Listen the grass is always greener in the other man's backyard but this is limit.

Please think this through.

DR blues....big time.

Lesley D

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
I just added a comment but accidentally started a new thread with "out". Have a problem with french canadians? I lived in Montreal for 7 years, speak french more than english when I'm in the dr and half my family is french.

max43

Jan 1, 2004
I think no one will answer Bomberos....

Hey Bomberos I think no one will answer about Marmar saying... It's probably a cheap shot... who care realy...

If you have a dream and think you can afford it.... PLEASE GO FOR IT!!!

Attention aux enfants, ils n'ont pas a subir nos r?ves ou nos ambitions....

Wait until the DR Blues is over...

Max

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
Dear Bomberos

I am truly sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but that was not my intention and if you knew me at all you would know I am not capable of that. Any canadians on this board would know that the french are responsible for our own frontier. No cheap shots here. However, hillbilly was funny.

Laurie

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
GO FOR IT!!!!

Bomberos said:
I forget to say that i'm going to live (maybe!!) there with 100,000 RD$/ months, just in interest. I will leave my money (capital) in a bank account in DR and also, i will keep my bank account here in Canada with all my saving. (I sold all my property here)

When i said: opening a business, i mean just to do something there, not just playing golf and beach!

Probably opening a bar and small restaurant, to keep me busy.

By the way MARMAR, yes i'm a french canadian...........got a problem with that??

thanks
I know exactly what you mean, Bomberos. You just want to keep a little busy and not just sit there and do nothing. You want to do something, anything. If you like the place, or any place for that matter, who cares what anybody thinks. You already said that you will be living on RD 100, 000 a month just in interest. That tells me that you don't need a business to get richer, but only to keep busy. Go for it and good luck.

Bomberos

Jan 6, 2004
Max43

Hi Max43, you're right about childrens, "Attention aux enfants, ils n'ont pas a subir nos r?ves ou nos ambitions...."
that why i ask alot of questions.
I don't want to think only for me, my family past first.

Probably i will take 6 months off at the job, and go live there with the kids and after that, ask them if they like it. Before making the final decision.

Thanks to everyones who try to help me!

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Re: suite......

salut bomberos

If you want to open a bar or restaurant, " le caf? de paris " in rio san juan is to sell.

Nice place in front of laguna gri-gri but ... good luck, there are dominicans pubs and restaurant all around this "caf? de paris" and you must have money and gooood idea to have people.

good luck

i know very well rio san juan, all my friends are from there, nice place but it's not there that we can make big business.

it's very nice to live there but needs to work somewhere else...

try to contact the boss, he's french, he's name is jean-paul

go to this page and you will have infos.

http://www.select-immo.net/francais/cafedeparis.htm

GOOD LUCK

Sonia