getting to Samana from Sosua/Cabarete/POP

TravelinJones

Dec 11, 2003
Heading down in 10 days... current plan is: 6 nights Sosua (2 Rocky's, 4 Sosua by the Sea); dive trip to Rio San Juan; 3-4 nights Cabarete (Casa Blanca); 2-3 nights Samana and/or that area: whale watching, maybe some more diving. Back to Sosua for the last night.

Is there bus service to Samana from Cabarete, Sosua, or POP? I would rather not do the rental thing, but what would a car rental cost? Is there a domestic flight from POP to Samana (Portillo?)

Were considering Pico Duarte but since it's the time for whales, we would like to go there. May do the Pico Duarte hike instead of Cabarete, we'll decide when we get there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour has a bus to Samana that leaves Sosua at 7:30am daily. There is only one bus. The bus leaves Samana at 4 pm for the return trip. The bus doesn't stop at Cabarete, so you will need to take a taxi from Cabarete to Caribe Tour in Sosua if you are staying there the night before departure for Samana.

For whale watching, by far the best excursions are run by Kim Beddall, the Canadian expat who founded whale watching in Samana. She has Victoria Marine/Whale Samana and her office is on the central park side of Camilo restaurant.

Last edited:

TravelinJones

Dec 11, 2003
Samana bus

does anyone know if Caribe Tours runs on Sundays (Sosua to Samana), and what is the cost?

Sounds like lots to do in Samana area so we are looking at cutting the other area(s) short and spending at least 4 nights there, maybe renting a jeep and exploring too.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Samana bound Caribe Tours bus runs on Sunday. Cost is about RD$100. Leaves Sosua at 7:30 am. Runs 7 days a week.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
We took the Caribe Tours bus to Samana (Sanchez) when my husband and I stayed for a couple of days in Las Terrenas. (thanks for the great info, Ken. There were even plenty of locals to make sure the touristas got on the right bus :))The the bus was right on time, comfortable and dirt cheap. No complaints. A word of caution, though. If you get up to use the washroom, for heaven's sake HANG ON TIGHT. When I came back to my seat I almost went flying. The bus swerved heavily just at that moment, and if my husband hadn't been standing up and grabbed my arm I could have been seriously hurt LOL. As it was, I smashed my big toe and had some trouble walking for a day. A liberal soaking in the salt water of Playa Bonita seemed to take care of it though :).

Have a great trip.

Rose

Last edited:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Suggestion...

If you are in the Samana/Las Terrenas area go to Limon (it is about somewhere between the 2 towns).

There you can walk up a hill about 2 miles to a really nice view and impressive waterfall. When I went it was a muddy walk but definitely worth it at the top.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are right about hanging on tight, Rose. I always hold onto the luggage racks when walking down the aisle between my seat and the bathroom. Inside the bathroom there is a handle to grab by those of us who stand up.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
hey travellin Jones.

If you look at that other thread (the one in Spanish) you will see pictures of the waterfall in Limon I was talking about - it looks even more beautiful than I remembered.

TravelinJones

Dec 11, 2003
Chris_NJ: I saw pictures of it elsewhere and will definitely consider it.

Now, if we decided to rent a 4wd to get around on the peninsula, would it be safe to stop there on the way between the 2 towns, leaving luggage in the car while we do the hike or horseback to the falls?

We are also considering a visit to Playa Rincon, which it seems you could drive to (almost) with a 4wd.

But to save costs we might just skip the rental car and use taxis/boats/etc.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
El Limon waterfall

TravelinJones said:
Chris_NJ: I saw pictures of it elsewhere and will definitely consider it.

Now, if we decided to rent a 4wd to get around on the peninsula, would it be safe to stop there on the way between the 2 towns, leaving luggage in the car while we do the hike or horseback to the falls?

We are also considering a visit to Playa Rincon, which it seems you could drive to (almost) with a 4wd.

But to save costs we might just skip the rental car and use taxis/boats/etc.

For more details information on El Limon waterfall see this site:
http://www.saltolimon.de/body_index.html

IMHO is not recomaded to leave items in a car when you visit any sites, you are taking a chance to be left with nothing in a few minutes.

Playa Rincon could be reach by boat from the beach in Las Galeras, a good 4wd will do the trip at ease, but same rule apply, don't leave items in the car, even if is the middle of nowere.

Have a good and safe trip.
WedDev

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
My experience...

Well, the price to rent a car in DR is very high so I have always depended on buses and motoconchos.

I went to Limon from Las Terrenas with a motoconcho who picked me up and took me back when I was finished with the hike (it costed like 200 pesos or so). When I got to the base of the hill there was not really any defined parking area so I am not sure where you would be able to safely park. Right off the road there is a small gazebo with some "guides" (mostly some nice kids or young adults) who would show you the to the top for about 100 pesos.

So in my frugal opinion, I would suggest against renting a car because of the price and the headache of worrying about where to park, etc. If you are staying somewhere in Samana I would just leave my stuff in the hotel and bring the essentials for the day trip.