A general talk about digital cams and printers etc.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok guys, I am convinced that digital cameras are not only here to stay but they will make 35mm cameras obsolate in the near future. In my last unfortunate visit to USA ("unfortunate" because mom was in hospital), I was able to buy a digital camera with-in my budget. At first, I had only seen the pictures from a 2 meg pixel cams and mostly computer pictures taken by a 1.3 meg pix camera. I was impressed to see sharp enough fotos to be viewed on a pc monitor but I never really thought they could be used for anything else besides internet mailing fotos. I was wrong.
I did some research into buying a dig. camera and to my surprise the cameras had not only improved in quality but I was begining to see some seriously great features built in them that was not possible in 35mm cameras of the past. I was seeing Leica lens with packed features as video / audio clip recording along with TV interface and etc etc.
I was going to buy a nice camera but with the current improvement in technology, I settled for a starter's camera for time-being. I bought a Panasonic lumix 3.2 meg. pix. digital camera with Leica lens. After reading the fat operating manual I was surprised to see that you not only can take shots in automatic mode, but you can also use that camera in almost manual mode. In a 256 meg SD memory card, I was able to take almost countless pictures in high quality. So after a few trial shoots I was able to perfect my hand on the tiny wonder. Now I am proud to say that this camera takes pictures in high quality mode that will rival any 35mm Nikon or Cannon in any class. I do own some fine cameras ex: nikon N90 with nikkor lens, also cannon A1 etc. After developing photos from my digital camera, I see practically no difference in quality as my more expensive 35mm cameras. maybe you might be able to note 15% difference but an average person can't tell one from the other. I just took a picture of a worker from down below my building in a portrait mode but with spot exposure. The picture was later printed on HP premium paper 8 1/2 X 11"(note: not photographic paper). The picture came out not only perfectly exposed but the colors will rival any fine developing lab in USA. The printer was an old HP 600X600 DPI resolution. The difinition was so fine that you could count the hair strands on the person's head and count the hair folicles on his unshaven face. I was truly amazed at the quality.
I understand that Photo printing costs alot more than a conventional 35mm camera but then again, you can pick and choose which shots you want printed as opposed to developing a whole roll of film. With the supplied software you can take out the red eyes, crop and change the brightness of the pictures. You can even take out artifacts or people from the picture. Its simply great to have so much control over your pictures. I say, digital cameras are here to stay and will replace the 35mm cameras in the near future.

Now about printing cartledges: have you bought 2 HP printing cartledges and found out that over time, one one ink was dried out in one new (unused) cartledge for leaving it on the self for a long period of time? Well, I bought a few color ink cart. in USA and then to my surprise, I found the rest to go dry in just by sitting in my closet. It was a terrible loss as each one of them costed me close to 40 dollars a pop.
Just recently I found one laying around from 2 years back in my closet. It had dried up 2 inks when I innstalled it. Since it was a waste so I thought of putting it through a test. I boiled up a cup of water in microwave and dipped the printing head into it and left it there for 5 minutes. After then I realized that the ink had melted and what seemed as opened up the clog in the printing heads. I later put the cart. head on top of napkins to soak up any water diluted ink from the printing heads. When I lifted it up, I realized that the whole napkin was stained from the 3 inks coming from the head. This meant that the printing heads were unclogged and working fine. Needless to say, I have been using that cart. for 2 weeks now and have printed dozens of pictures.
So folks, don't throw up your dried up new HP printing cart. and do what I have done to revive them. The printing HP cart. are HP 23 (color) and 15 (B&W). Others will work too with this treatment.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Very interesting, but what has this to do with the DR?
Wasn't you going to talk about taking photos in the DR?

FYI: Pib is the resident digital camera guru if you need advice AZB.
I think she is using a Nikon CoolPix 5400.
If she can't help you, Chirimoya's husband is one of the Caribbeans best photographers and is 100% digital.
Playing with his Nikon D1X's or was it D100's gave me goose bumps :)

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My X-mas gift to myself was a Nikon Coolpix 5400, at 5.0 megapixels. I am glad to say that it kicks a$$... But I am still learning how to use it.

See a sample here... (warning! do not try to download it if you are not on dsl at least.)

http://dominicancooking.com/images/matitaajies.jpg (hi-res)
http://dominicancooking.com/images/tomates.jpg (cropped, lower res).

And since we need a DR connection, the peppers are from my own yard and the tomatoes were bought in a Dominican supermarket. ;)

And about Chiri's husband's camera... I am not worthy of even touching the hem of its cover.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I thought my connection to DR was quite obvious, I did mention I took a picture of the guy who works downstairs in my office building. Now it doesn't take a genious to figure out he lives in DR (santiago to be exact). Hehehehe

Anyway, the printing cart. treatment will save a few bucks for everyone who is about to throw away a new dried up cart.

My next camera will be a nikon (black body forgot the model number) 5.0 pix. That camera should kick some serious A$$ as it looks like a lean, mean, fighting machine. Its has a huge nikon lens and does wonders with its built-in features. I am even afraid to hold it in my hands. Hopefully, by the time I am ready to buy my next toy, the pixels will go up in quantity and the prices would have come down significally.
PIB, I am so jealous of your nikon, but I am proud of you for being a practical woman. I just don't see what pleasure women derive out of buying a stupid 1.5 karat diamond ring? Don't they see the pleasure in buying and playing with toys that men seem to enjoy so much? My favorite stores in USA, Home depot (especially the tool section), sears tool dept and other similar stores. I just love to see them for hours and for hours everyday. Women just don't get it.
Oh, I see, they are from venus.... no wonder.... ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Excellent pictures PIB, I also just bought the Nikon 5400 and it takes great pictures, but i am still learning the different settings, We got about 30 cm of snow last night(here on Vancouver island where it normally rains) and I'll try to get a good picture and post it. Boy does Yris love the snow, not.

egomezb

Feb 17, 2003
Since you're in Santiago were you in El Monumento Dic. 28? That day I was there with my kid and I saw a guy with a camera like the one you described, he was accompanied by two kids. Didn't pay much attention to the person but the camera look really cool.

EGB

AZB said:
I thought my connection to DR was quite obvious, I did mention I took a picture of the guy who works downstairs in my office building. Now it doesn't take a genious to figure out he lives in DR (santiago to be exact). Hehehehe

Anyway, the printing cart. treatment will save a few bucks for everyone who is about to throw away a new dried up cart.

My next camera will be a nikon (black body forgot the model number) 5.0 pix. That camera should kick some serious A$$ as it looks like a lean, mean, fighting machine. Its has a huge nikon lens and does wonders with its built-in features. I am even afraid to hold it in my hands. Hopefully, by the time I am ready to buy my next toy, the pixels will go up in quantity and the prices would have come down significally.
PIB, I am so jealous of your nikon, but I am proud of you for being a practical woman. I just don't see what pleasure women derive out of buying a stupid 1.5 karat diamond ring? Don't they see the pleasure in buying and playing with toys that men seem to enjoy so much? My favorite stores in USA, Home depot (especially the tool section), sears tool dept and other similar stores. I just love to see them for hours and for hours everyday. Women just don't get it.
Oh, I see, they are from venus.... no wonder.... ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
another vote for coolpix

Just got back and saw this: Pib and Robert, stop drooling. I'll have to call Mr Chiri over to look over my shoulder so he can see what you are saying about him and his equipment.

I got the Nikon Coolpix 5000 about a year and a half ago, and got on very well with it, but it got wet while whale watching in Samana last season. It was found to be irreparable and because it was still under guarantee it was replaced with the updated 5400. As an amateur I find it easy to handle from the start, but at the same time I feel that there is still a lot to learn before I can really do it justice.

It is also good enough for a professional like Mr C to use it in his work, as a back-up to his two main cameras.

Chiri