Spa in Samana

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
We are staying in Samana City and Las Galleras soon. Any spa for massages, facials, etc? Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Services are pretty basic in Samana at this point. If there are any, they would be in the largest hotels in the area.

There are several places in town where both men and women can get their hair cut, and a man on his own can find someone to give him a "massage", but tourism has not yet reached the level of places like Cabarete and Sosua.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
I figured it never hurts to ask - there are two SUPER ones in Sosua that I really enjoyed - just was hoping!

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Patbro

Care to share the name of your "super Spas" in Sosua. (So long as you don't have a financial interest in them that is. - See ***new Rule***).

Bob H.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Happy to share. Yolanda and Suzi's does a fantastic facial and massage - every bit as good as I get at home (we have some terrific spas here in Palm Beach, Florida) and at less than half the price. The other one I can't remember the name, but it's on the main road leading from the Sosua Beach Resort to downtown, on the second floor of a building that has a jeweler on the first floor. They have a fancier facility and also do a great massage. I remember that there is an open air restaurant across the street that has a barbeque on Fridays. I hope that gives you enough info to find it.
Happy massage!

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
I agree about Yolanda and Suzi's Day Spa. You can get the works there. Escott has tried some different places, pm him for leads.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Las Galeras has a couple of places on the main ( only?) street which do hair, massages, pedicures, manicures etc. My wife had a pedicure & manicure twice and found the quality of work equal to some in Ontario, even if the facilities were somewhat different. Clean, but different, and she found things quite entertaining. If you stay at La Isleta, they have a jacuzzi which usually works if Dominic is around. Stan.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Stan: Thanks. Sometimes I am a little concerned about going into places, but when we are in LG I will definitely take be more open-minded. Please thank your wife for making me more adventerous about these very personal services!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Patbro, what are your concerns? Dominican women that patronize these places are at least as concerned about gooming and appearance as women in other countries.

Getting recommendations from locals or other uers is always a good idea, however, when you are in any new location, whether the DR or elsewhere.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Ken: Nothing against Dominican women at all. However, standards of living, cleanliness, and cosmetic product quality vary enormously around the world, as I have seen in my travels. I have been in a couple of facilities - high-end ones - in countries that you would expect to have very high cleanliness quotients - only to find that the products and services have been so substandard as to be hazardous. Turkey is a good example. And, as you say, it never hurts to get some recommendations - that's how I lucked onto Yolanda and Suzi's.
By the way, I'm sure you know the reigning Miss Universe is a Dominican young woman?