Suggestion for DR1 Management

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert, I'm requesting instead of an advertising banner, a button just as big as the advertising banner, that links to 'FAQ's - Newby Information - Read This First!' And then I suggest a short 6 question quiz to see if the newby has read it... Once the quizz is passed (maybe 2 out of eight answerd correctly), a username and password can be assigned....

The quizz could have questions like:
1. In which hemisphere is the DR?
2. In which town does Ken live?
3. What is Criss Colon's favourite pasttime?
4. What should I (newby) do before I ask questions on the board?
5. What do hurricanes and XR have in common?
6. If I (newby) decide to advertise on the board, what are the steps?
7. If I (newby) want to start/buy a business in the DR, what should I do first?

OK, you can include
8. Who are the owners of the board?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ad space is valuable and at a premium on DR1

We have a button marked "f.a.q" that answers most questions.

Anything else get's covered on the board or sent to me via email.

Bottom line, your suggestion is not going to happen anytime soon, but thanks for suggesting it. We are always open to feedback or suggestions, good or bad.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Chris said:

5. What do hurricanes and XR have in common?

okay...it would have to be multiple choice.
is the answer you are looking for;
1). they can both be found in the weather forum
or
2). they are both known for blowing hot air.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There you go again, Robert, making an assumption.

And, Chris, would you please claify what you mean by #2.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks Pib... somebody understands ;) !

Ken, any question will do - I just pulled the questions out of my a.. uh, head. Just trying to get to a good method for the newbys to do their reading and searching before posting.... I think all the regulars happily answer newby questions if we have the answers. Just lately the same thing has been asked seems to me, over and over again... We could have fun designing a tongue-in-cheeck 'newby questionnaire'.

Robert, it just seems lately that nobody reads the faq ... The reference to the advertising banner was in jest - just an illustration of how big I think a newby faq should be to attract attention.

bochinche - I can think of 20 more answers to that question - I can also think of 20 more questions. But the answer that came in my head as I typed the question, was the factual one - they both can be found in the weather forum.

Do I read from the responses that no-one else gets a little frustrated at the same newby questions over and over again? Or is this part and parcel of the board and we simply accept it?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It doesn't bother me that "Newbees" ask the same question,

it frustrates me that the "Regulars" go through 3 pages giving the same answers!Robert does the "Best" job of closing these threads.As a moderator,I will do better this year! CC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry Ken, I'm way too serious this morning - Joke Meter On!

Possibly Newby Answers:

Ken - He lives where Barbie lives
Ken - Is he the big dolphin that lives at the waterpark?
Ken - Dunno where he lives, but he owns the bus company - he always knows when the busses run

Ken - He lives in the DR (now if I can only find where the DR is 'cause I want to move there with my car, my stereo and my big screen TV)

CC, please advise me how to do this!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Before posting about a lost love ask yourself:

Is he/she really lost or is he/she hiding from me?

hehehehehehehehehehehe... ok enough from me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Although, like Chris, I sometimes get tired of seeing the same questions asked time and time again, I have a different outlook on the matter than my other esteemed colleagues who have posted so far.

First of all, I don't think that the f.a.q. page does anything about helping newbies with answers to frequently asked questions about the DR. The f.a.q. page is only about the mechanics of the message board. There is nothing there that will answer any of the questions that I recall being asked frequently about any aspect of the Dominican Republic.

So I take strong exception to Robert's statement that by clicking on the f.a.q. button will provide answers to most questions. Click on the button and see for yourself.

There are answers to the frequently asked questions in the archives, obviously. But I think there are problems with them. First of all, I think a better job can be done of explaining how to use the archives. This is all that is said about searching the board in the f.a.qs "You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums. To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages. You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so."

For somebody who is familiar with surfing the net and who makes frequent use of search engines, this may be sufficient. But I have the impression that not all the newbies are computer wizzards. If we are going to close threads because questions have been asked before, then I think we need to be sure the newbies know how to access the archives. More of a tutorial on using the archives could make a big difference.

As far as the organization of the archives is concerned, there seem to be some serious problems to overcome. I frequently use the archives, and I am often surprised at the seemingly large number of unrelated threads that appear when I search for a particular topic. For example, go to "search" and see what you get when you look for "buying a house". I would like to think that something could be done to the search program to reduce the chaff that comes with the wheat.

The 4 letter minimum is also a problem. If someone does a search for "importing car", for example, he is going to be turned down because car only has 3 letters. If the person is savy enough and then tries importing cars, the search engine will produce a long list. But that assumes the newbie is not discouraged by the turn now and is savy enough to retry using cars.

Clicking the colored "Living", "Legal" , etc buttons at the very top of this page produces much info that answers repeated questions. But how is a newbie to know this?

Then in several of the sections there are "stickies" that contain lots of info. But again, there is nothing to tell the newbies what is available and where.

If we are going to take a hard line about repeated questions, then I think we must be sure that there is a very good alternative. Otherwise, we are sure to see a noticeable drop in the number of participants as newbies get discouraged and go elsewhere for their information. I for one think there is still work to be done to make what is already available more accessible to the newbies to the board.

Last edited:

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Is it possible....

to auto generate so that the first reply to any new thread directs the individual to the search button; with a comment to the effect that a search might answer questions that have already been asked?

I've seen many examples where the person gets knuckles rapped by one or more folks, who simply make that point....."go to search first!"

Might save time, bandwidth and hard feelings that way.

Best, P

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken said:
Although, like Chris, I sometimes get tired of seeing the same questions asked time and time again, I have a different outlook on the matter than my other esteemed colleagues who have posted so far.

First of all, I don't think that the f.a.q. page does anything about helping newbies with answers to frequently asked questions about the DR. The f.a.q. page is only about the mechanics of the message board. There is nothing there that will answer any of the questions that I recall being asked frequently about any aspect of the Dominican Republic.

So I take strong exception to Robert's statement that by clicking on the f.a.q. button will provide answers to most questions. Click on the button and see for yourself.

There are answers to the frequently asked questions in the archives, obviously. But I think there are problems with them. First of all, I think a better job can be done of explaining how to use the archives. This is all that is said about searching the board in the f.a.qs "You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums. To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages. You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so."

For somebody who is familiar with surfing the net and who makes frequent use of search engines, this may be sufficient. But I have the impression that not all the newbies are computer wizzards. If we are going to close threads because questions have been asked before, then I think we need to be sure the newbies know how to access the archives. More of a tutorial on using the archives could make a big difference.

As far as the organization of the archives is concerned, there seem to be some serious problems to overcome. I frequently use the archives, and I am often surprised at the seemingly large number of unrelated threads that appear when I search for a particular topic. For example, go to "search" and see what you get when you look for "buying a house". I would like to think that something could be done to the search program to reduce the chaff that comes with the wheat.

The 4 letter minimum is also a problem. If someone does a search for "importing car", for example, he is going to be turned down because car only has 3 letters. If the person is savy enough and then tries importing cars, the search engine will produce a long list. But that assumes the newbie is not discouraged by the turn now and is savy enough to retry using cars.

Clicking the colored "Living", "Legal" , etc buttons at the very top of this page produces much info that answers repeated questions. But how is a newbie to know this?

Then in several of the sections there are "stickies" that contain lots of info. But again, there is nothing to tell the newbies what is available and where.

If we are going to take a hard line about repeated questions, then I think we must be sure that there is a very good alternative. Otherwise, we are sure to see a noticeable drop in the number of participants as newbies get discouraged and go elsewhere for their information. I for one think there is still work to be done to make what is already available more accessible to the newbies to the board.

I agree, and the work is being done.
It's not as fast as we would like, but it's happening.

I cannot do anything right now about the 4 word limit. If we allowed 3 letter words the search index would be huge, slow and unusable.

A new version of the board is being tested right now that will help to fix some of the known limitations of this version.

Life as a "newbie" will be a lot more fun soon. You just need to be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That's good news, Robert. Should be of benefit to every user.

Regarding 3-letter words. I recommend that this limitation be made clear in the instructions for using the search engine, and that 3-letter words, like car, should be made cars. Rather than changing the program and risk slowing down the search, better to tell people how to get around the limitation since it is so easy to do in most cases.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Dear New Member,

Before you proceed we'd like you to read the following replies to your questions:

1.- No, it isn't legal.
2.- No, she/he doesn't really love you.
3.- We strongly suggest that you don't do that.
4.- Not really.

If none of this answers your questions then we suggest you click on the search button at the top of this page. Once you've read the results ask yourself "can I really stand the scorn from other members for asking a stupid question?. If the answer is "yes", then you may proceed and ask your question on the board.

Best regards,

Rob
Resident Board Nazi

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Pib said:
Dear New Member,

Before you proceed we'd like you to read the following replies to your questions:

1.- No, it isn't legal.
2.- No, she/he doesn't really love you.
3.- We strongly suggest that you don't do that.
4.- Not really.

If none of this answers your questions then we suggest you click on the search button at the top of this page. Once you've read the results ask yourself "can I really stand the scorn from other members for asking a stupid question?. If the answer is "yes", then you may proceed and ask your question on the board.

Best regards,

Rob
Resident Board Nazi

Rob, of course with guidance from the Goddess Pib gave the answers to my four questions.
1. Is it OK if I break the law while in DR?
2. If I have sex with a woman, am I under any further obligation?
3. What if I decide to NOT to return to DR?
4. Would ya'll mind if I bought the next several rounds?

I am so relieved that I don't have to do that search stuff now cuz I was so worried about being scorned.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Actually, we are going to condense it into just one message.

"We reserve the right to make fun of stupid people; so if you're going to come here and be stupid, be forewarned that we are going to make fun of you."