Important question

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Since I am wiating for my credit cards to be replaced from the recent burglary, I was wondering about changing money at a cambio with checks.

I have seen people mention that in the past, but wasn't sure if they were business checks or if you need a relationship with the cambio for them to accept personal checks etc.

I'm in santo domingo, so if you know of any leads, I'd apreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
cheques

Try Capla, S.A. I am not from SD, but they accepted my personal cheques. I had, however, been introduced by a friend, who does business with them. They called my bank in the US and exchanged my cheque on the spot. Good rate, too.
M?frog.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I deal with 3 different cambios. All required only a personal introduction from one of their current clients, a copy of my passport photo page, and my reference's guarantee that my first check was good. After that, the only question ever asked was (before recent history) was "do you want dollars or pesos?".

Also, most casas de cambio are somewhat leery of accepting any business checks to cash. The cambios I deal with have had LOTS of bad experiences with business checks coming back to them...

Also, should a check get returned, they might not be too bent out of shape the first time it happens. They will normally charge 2% of the check PER DAY until it gets covered. And it WILL get covered.