IDT Phone Service

R

rick

My brother has been using IDT(24 cents a minute) for calls to SD for about a week.The problem is that after talking for 3 or 4 minutes the phone disconnects and a recording tells him to "dial the number you wish to call".He's talked to IDT and they say it must be his phone.He's called from my phone(different phone company and long distant carrier)with the same result. Has anyone else had the same problem with IDT? Thanks- Rick

J

jerry

I have had that happen to me, but mostly when I am on my celluar. So I do not know if it is because my signal got weak. Seems like I remember it once on a landline, when my friend put the phone down to do something. Her end got pretty quiet, you could still hear a little bit of noise but not much then it disconnected.

Jerry

J

Jim Hinsch

I use the service. It has been 100% reliable for me.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

S

Susan

What's the 5-digit access number for IDT? Is the 24-cent rate a special deal, or can anyone get it using the access code?

Susan

J

jerry

You can call 1-800-225-5438. They will set up a pre-paid account. They will then give you an 800# to access the service. So each time you call you will be going through their 800# to access your account.

Jerry

S

Susan

Thanks! However, I just got my AT&T One Rate International phone bill (OK, I work for AT&T) and noticed the rate for my calls to DR was 39 cents a minute, billed on my regular account.

Does IDT carry calls to DR only or both ways?

Susan

J

jerry

I do not know about from the DR. I have seen people here talk about codetel phone cards but I do not know the rates these cards have. I have also read 1 post from the NYC area, saying that codetel has a calling card in the states and offers a decent rate but I do not know anything about these cards. Wish I did.

L

Lori

Is this service only available in the United States or can we access from Canada.

J

jerry

I do not know. I live in Lewiston, NY (right on the US/Canada border) and sometimes when I use my cell phone I pick up a Canadian tower. The first access number they gave me (have been issued a second number yesterday for some reason) would not go through if I was on a Canadian tower. Said this number is not authorized from your calling area. But you could always try the 800-225-5438 and see what happens. If it goes through then they should be able to tell you.

Jerry