Playa Dorada and Maimon

lindalou

Jan 4, 2004
Hi, I believe i left this on the wrong forum. Could someone please tell me where Playa Dorada is in comparrison to Maimon where the Riu Properties are. Is there anything right outside of Riu resorts? Anywhere to walk to? Also how far is Puerta Plata from Riu's?, and how much for taxi for two to get there? One more question, about how far can you walk on beach at Riu's, or is it pretty secluded? Thanks for your answers in advance! We are going to Riu Merengue in March.

dr lover

Aug 17, 2003
riu

The riu hotels are located at the west side of Puerto Plata.
Its about 10 km, and you need a taxi to ge there.
Thats gonna cost you about 800 peso.
Playa dorada is on the east side of Puerto plata.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that RD$800 might be high

If you walk out the gates, the traffic going to your left is going to Puerto Plata, that going left is going to Santiago.

A bus will cost you about RD$10. Just ask one of the employees how to do it the first time...

Around the Riu, there is not much to be truthful. There is a very "Dominican" place to eat fish and fried plantains and drink beer....Called Johan's..it is off to the right as you come out of the complex..

HB

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I just actually got back from the Riu Merengue, it is approximately 10km like Hillbilly said to the center of Puerto Plata, and another 5-8km to Playa Dorada.

The hotel itself posts rates of $10 US Dollars for the taxi ride into the town. Since I am Dominican, I got the "special" rate of $150 pesos for the ride. The cab came into the resort and picked me up. You can definitely walk outside the resort gates and stop your own cab for a bit less.

There is not much outside of the resort, the closest is a Lobster House restaurant, not far from the resort, but definitely not walking distance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want to get out and about

Here is the number for a guy that has received high marks for service and punctuality

Wilson
571-1545
His sister in law Marta often answers the phone.

HB

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Maimon and Playa Maimon are close but two different places. We had/have solar panels all over that area.