One person's story

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Guys,

Last week I sent out an email to a bunch of friends around the world, telling them where my life was going. Robert suggested I post it here on DR1. I normally would not do this, as I like to keep my private life just that - private.

However I have decided to post this here. I want people know that you don't have to do things the way that other people do. And for those who are wondering about moving here and whether it can work - well, I am finally an example that you can find success in the DR.

Adrian

---------------

Hey Robert,

I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know how I've been doing. This is a good time of year to think about how things are going, which I've been doing lately. :)

Two years ago, I "jumped out of a plane without a parachute", by moving to the Dominican Republic from Silicon Valley to start out on my own. I vowed back then that I would become completely independent and figure out how to make a living on the internet. A lot of people thought I was insane. Some still do. :)

The past two years have been much harder than I expected. I've had to deal with cultural issues, local corruption and major infrastructure problems. We had a major earthquake with 100 aftershocks. We still experience 10 blackouts/week, and at its worst, we only got 2-6 hours of electricity per day. To top it off, my kitchen became infested with rats. I've killed them all now (7 total), but there's nothing like getting up in the morning to find a dead rat in your kitchen. :)

The good news is that I've hit my goal. I'm financially stable and my income is solid. I'm about to move to one of the nicer apartments in the city. I'll have a fulltime live in maid who will cook, clean, do laundry and run errands. I have a half time assistant.

And, I get to live in a fun country (despite what you see above!). World class beaches are an hour away. Merengue dancing is fun. This country is a never-ending party. People are more relaxed and happy here than I've seen anywhere else in the world. Its amazing.

Right now I'm doing consulting for US based businesses. It turns out that a good technical background combined with an understanding of traditional direct marketing is very rare. I have a couple of clients, and don't want any more. I can do this from anywhere in the world.

In a couple of months I'll drop the consulting and just be independently selling information on the internet. This has the potential to be a big year.

My "New Years Thought" for you is this:

If you have a dream, something that you really want to do in your life - GO AND DO IT! It doesn't matter what other people say. Make sure you think it through - and then just go for it. Look forward and don't look back.

Some things that got me through this:
- being determined to go ahead no matter what
- participating in a mastermind (myself and a group of friends do a conference call every week to discuss how we're all doing and
brainstorm ideas)
- working extremely hard
- networking and going to conferences
- figuring out what MY strengths are, and applying those in everything I do
- constant learning

So whats next? We'll see. I'm aiming high. :)

Anyways, I hope you're doing well, and that you have a fantastic 2004!

Drop me a line when you get a chance, and let me know how you're doing.

Cheers,

Adrian

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Adrian, great post. Very glad you shared it with us. And congratulations on achieving your goal.

I might add your observations that if there is something you want to do in life, like dropping out of the rat race and moving to the Dominican Republic, do it now because tomorrow my be too late.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, great post and a nice email.

The rat race, I agree with Ken, better do it before you can never do it. That's exactly what I tell people, I no longer wanted to be a rat in the race anymore. The only people in the rat race are rats.

Adrian was lucky in the sense that he was able to pursue a business dream that didn't rely on the local market for income. Plus he had open eyes and a few US$ to help him through the tough times.

Setting goals and having realistic expectations are very important, especially in the DR. DR1 is a great source of expectations and the Internet is a beautiful thing!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks for the post

It is st5ories like your that helped me to decide to just say screw it an move down when I retire. Better to move when I am able that try to get ready.
John

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Think about how many people you know that had a dream that was never fulfilled because they waited until they retired, or all the kids were through college, or........ Then before they could do what they had been dreaming of they died, or the spouse died, or they came down with some serious illness, or........

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks!!!

adrianb said:
Guys,

Last week I sent out an email to a bunch of friends around the world, telling them where my life was going. Robert suggested I post it here on DR1. I normally would not do this, as I like to keep my private life just that - private.

However I have decided to post this here. I want people know that you don't have to do things the way that other people do. And for those who are wondering about moving here and whether it can work - well, I am finally an example that you can find success in the DR.

Adrian

---------------

Hey Robert,

I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know how I've been doing. This is a good time of year to think about how things are going, which I've been doing lately. :)

Two years ago, I "jumped out of a plane without a parachute", by moving to the Dominican Republic from Silicon Valley to start out on my own. I vowed back then that I would become completely independent and figure out how to make a living on the internet. A lot of people thought I was insane. Some still do. :)

The past two years have been much harder than I expected. I've had to deal with cultural issues, local corruption and major infrastructure problems. We had a major earthquake with 100 aftershocks. We still experience 10 blackouts/week, and at its worst, we only got 2-6 hours of electricity per day. To top it off, my kitchen became infested with rats. I've killed them all now (7 total), but there's nothing like getting up in the morning to find a dead rat in your kitchen. :)

The good news is that I've hit my goal. I'm financially stable and my income is solid. I'm about to move to one of the nicer apartments in the city. I'll have a fulltime live in maid who will cook, clean, do laundry and run errands. I have a half time assistant.

And, I get to live in a fun country (despite what you see above!). World class beaches are an hour away. Merengue dancing is fun. This country is a never-ending party. People are more relaxed and happy here than I've seen anywhere else in the world. Its amazing.

Right now I'm doing consulting for US based businesses. It turns out that a good technical background combined with an understanding of traditional direct marketing is very rare. I have a couple of clients, and don't want any more. I can do this from anywhere in the world.

In a couple of months I'll drop the consulting and just be independently selling information on the internet. This has the potential to be a big year.

My "New Years Thought" for you is this:

If you have a dream, something that you really want to do in your life - GO AND DO IT! It doesn't matter what other people say. Make sure you think it through - and then just go for it. Look forward and don't look back.

Some things that got me through this:
- being determined to go ahead no matter what
- participating in a mastermind (myself and a group of friends do a conference call every week to discuss how we're all doing and
brainstorm ideas)
- working extremely hard
- networking and going to conferences
- figuring out what MY strengths are, and applying those in everything I do
- constant learning

So whats next? We'll see. I'm aiming high. :)

Anyways, I hope you're doing well, and that you have a fantastic 2004!

Drop me a line when you get a chance, and let me know how you're doing.

Cheers,

Adrian
Thanks Adrian for the nice thread. Very refreshing and honest. It's very true what you said "if one has a dream, something that they really want to do, thwy should go ans do it". I have the same mentality as you. Best wishes and more suscess for you.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Well Done!

Adrian,

As someone who has travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and the US and come into contact with many people who have tried to do exactly what you have done (and being one of those people myself) I can definately say that what you have achived is rare and takes a lot of hard work and perseverance (sp?). Well done to you.

Stay well,
Amy

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
What am I missing here?

It doesn't sound like Adrian dropped out of the "rat race", he just changed "races"

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I think it's hard to explain, Tom, if you don't actually live here full time and do business here, or do business from here.

I still 'work' but it's on my terms, not on someone else's and that makes all the difference in the world. I am not held hostage to my client's schedules. I have my own. And if my schedule says to me, "Today's a beach day!", then so it is, and the work gets done tomorrow.

I guess it's like not changing races, so much as eliminating the race part so you can actually enjoy what you do so much more.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
I pretty much did just what Adrian did. Jumped on a plane without much of a clue but stuck it out determined to make things work. Took a year, but I did and I am soooo happy I didn't give up, give in, and head home those times when things looked bleak and everything I touched turned to Dominican dust. LOL. Be tough! Perserverance pays great rewards here!

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
on the other hand, there is something to be envied

of people who live in a country where bars in the window are not required, and perosonal safety is not of paramount concern at all times.

It's a nice place yes, nice beaches, some of the months are too hot for most and leave you in a airconditioned cage for some months. Food is cheap, expenses are cheap, other things are cheap too. . . . but for all this I see nothing wrong with those whose choose to stay in the 1st world, and even a success in the 3rd world my not make that much as compared to a 1st world job, even if the cost of living make it a richer life in the Dominican Republic. So I say take some ones story of success with a grain of salt, and if you still think it sounds good, read more on this board. Even I would like to live down there . . . or consider it, but for me it would be a ritual like life in Puerto Plata to avoid . . .

1) Travel the involves going though the main intersection by the hospital at the top of the hill.

2) I'd avoid travel in general because the way people drive in general gives me a headache, not to mention the blue fumes of motercycles with colors all large towns outside of santiago.

3) Quick trip daily or 4 per week to the beach resort complex at dusk to avoid daytime sun exposuer.

4) The keeping of a close knit circle of freinds because the is alway some one who wonts to "get" something out of you.

5) As always timing of activities to avoid sun exposure and the heat and humidity of the day ( and avoiding sunshine at all times).

6) Trip every other day to the bakery for fresh bread, trip to the supermarket.

7) Internet connection is a must so I have lot's of reading material and work.

-Lee

PS: I guess all I could add is, if you like the people and find them friendly and warm, you will find them the same way even if you meet them outside of the DR, except typically they are much better off.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Say What?

Lee,

As usual, I would like to respond, but I have absolutely no idea what you just said. Trying to get a hold of a thought in one of your posts is like trying to catch a greased pig at a county fair in the Midwest. Possible, not very damn likely to happen.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
From your posts, we were led to believe you lived down here full time already? Not?

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Way to go Adrian! Keep up the good work.

I was watching dateline last night about this American in India who started a business in India taking advantage of the large usage of the english language and the cheap labor and opened up call centers for American companies like Dell, Delta Airlines, HP,American Express etc... Basically when we US consumers call a custormer service number, they are actually in India. he said it was difficult at first but once he got American companies to buy into it, there was no turning back.

Perserverance and having a vision is key.

So Good Luck to you. If you've carved out a niche, no doubt you'll be successful. Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring.

Smooches....Clip

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What?

ltsnyder said:
of people who live in a country where bars in the window are not required, and perosonal safety is not of paramount concern at all times.

It's a nice place yes, nice beaches, some of the months are too hot for most and leave you in a airconditioned cage for some months. Food is cheap, expenses are cheap, other things are cheap too. . . . but for all this I see nothing wrong with those whose choose to stay in the 1st world, and even a success in the 3rd world my not make that much as compared to a 1st world job, even if the cost of living make it a richer life in the Dominican Republic. So I say take some ones story of success with a grain of salt, and if you still think it sounds good, read more on this board. Even I would like to live down there . . . or consider it, but for me it would be a ritual like life in Puerto Plata to avoid . . .

1) Travel the involves going though the main intersection by the hospital at the top of the hill.

2) I'd avoid travel in general because the way people drive in general gives me a headache, not to mention the blue fumes of motercycles with colors all large towns outside of santiago.

3) Quick trip daily or 4 per week to the beach resort complex at dusk to avoid daytime sun exposuer.

4) The keeping of a close knit circle of freinds because the is alway some one who wonts to "get" something out of you.

5) As always timing of activities to avoid sun exposure and the heat and humidity of the day ( and avoiding sunshine at all times).

6) Trip every other day to the bakery for fresh bread, trip to the supermarket.

7) Internet connection is a must so I have lot's of reading material and work.

-Lee

PS: I guess all I could add is, if you like the people and find them friendly and warm, you will find them the same way even if you meet them outside of the DR, except typically they are much better off.
Lee, as Adrian said from the beginning, nothing came easy, the struggle was there at the beginning and then, with his hard work, all got well. He adapted. I am pretty sure that he knew what he was getting into before he packed his bags and moved, and even if he did not, he adapted. Many of the posters that moved to DR to start a business, I am sure, were aware of all the things that they needed to adapt to, the ones that did not adapted, went back to were they came from. There's nothing wrong with staying in a 1st world country but remember that there is no way that you can start a business in a 1st world country as easy as in a third world country. I rather live in the DR (a third world country) were you can start a business with very little money, if one use his/her head and know what they are doing, than to live in a first world country were you need a big amount of money to start a small business. I love my old good US of A but I know that I can make a much better living in the DR with hard work and if I know what I am doing.

Ps: Adrian, I may need some pointers from you. Thanks again.