Just got back from DR...had a great time

D

Deanna

HOla everyone..I just got back from DR on Monday and i had a great time. I stayed at the Coral Costal Caribe Hotel in Juan Dolio beach. Although the hotel is very nice and secluded, i didn't know it was so far from downtown Santo Domingo (about an hour drive). The beach was calm and the water sports were great, but if you went two houses over to the beach, it was really GROSS!!! I tried to go running on the beach only to get stopped in my tracks by seaweed backwash. The hotel must have a way to filter that b/c their beach alone was nice.

I think snorkeling in DR is a waste of time. I only saw a few fish down there and the water was murky. SAve your money and your time until you go to an place like Mexico or Tobago.

I was bummed out because I didn't know the last Sunday of the month is Mother's day and the whole city shuts down!!!

The hotel was all-inclusive and i loved it. The food was even great and you got to eat at a different restaurant every evening. The only activities that are not included is scuba diving by going on the boat and going far ($50 U.S), as well as snorkeling going on a boat ($15 US). YOu can do those activities right in the beach at the hotel for free though. Also, sailing is not included.

Coral Costal Caribe was very safe. There are police that patrol the major strip between a few hotels and the night club (El Batey..very good!!!) and the presidents holiday house is right next to the hotel with an ARMED guard right there.

Overall, well worth my money and I would go back, but maybe to Coral Hamaca, which is closer to the downtown area.

M

Mark

Re: your bad snorkelling experience

Deanna,

Pleased to hear that you had a great time in Juan Dolio. However, I was a little perturbed by your gross overgeneralization of the snorkelling conditions in the DR (ie. your comments "I think snorkeling in DR is a waste of time" & "save your money and your time until you go to a place like Mexico or Tobago"). In fact, the snorkelling on the north coast of DR (Sosua, for example) is indisputably fantastic! I'm no snorkelling expert, but I've snorkelled in both Tobago and Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel & Puerto Vallarta), as well as Grand Cayman, St. Lucia, and Cuba, and I would consider my DR snorkelling experience as good as all, and better than most, of these places! I don't think it's fair to make such a judgement based on a one-time bad experience. Maybe the snorkelling in Juan Dolio is poor, I don't know, but the DR does have some of the best snorkelling in the Caribbean.

D

Danilo

I second Mark's comment. The DR has over 200 miles of beaches and to say its a waste of time is like saying all oriental looking people are chinese!

J

Jodi

Hi Deanna,

I agree with Mark. If you had made the short trip to Boca Chica to go snorkelling, you would have experienced beautiful clear water and a variety of marine life. I have personally seen a small stingray, barracuda, puffer fish, star fish, crab and a multitude of other tropical fish after only a short swim from shore.

Jodi

P

Pascal Yhuello

Stay away from the all inclusive hotels. Take your bag, fly in rent a car and only then you will be able to share your experience. you may come across Montecristi to do snorkelling proper If you need further tips don't hesitate Pascal

J

Jim Hinsch

>

Coral Hamaca isn't in Juan Dolio, it's in Boca Chica, a different city seperated by miles of rural highway and about 20-30 minutes from the Coral Costa Caribe. Boca Chica has about 6 blocks of commercial concentration of tourist shops, restaurants, etc. if you want to call that downtown, with the Hamaca situtated at one end of the street.

Snorkelling and scuba are excellent in various parts of the south coast. People come from all over the world especially for the scuba diving here.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

C

Canadian Bob

Hi! It is an unfortunate fact that the reefs of the DR. are for the most part being overfished by the locals. I am not aware of any laws protecting fish on the reefs, and while there are presently a lot of interesting fish to see while snorkelling, the tiny fish that are being speared and netted confirm what the local fishermen have told me, that the fish are smaller & less plentiful than in the past. If anyone has information about fish Sanctuaries in the DR. Iwould like to hear about it. Thanks for reading this. Canadian Bob.

D

Dan

Deanna,

I would have to agree with Canadian Bob. There are places in the DR that leave a little to be desired when it comes to snorkelling. You should try some of the beaches in the Puerto Plata area. Especially Sosua beach has very nice corals that you can swim out to with little effort. I grew up in the Dominican Republic, and the north coast definately has the best snorkeling.