Help......Need Some Tips....many Tips

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its just mind boggling to see how people just pack up and move to a country without knowing a thing about it.
Hello, we are in 2004 already, its not california and we have no gold mines to dig.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Ivana dahling,

When you get to Puerto Plata, take a bus to Sosua. Go to Rocky's Bar and ask for "Escott". He is the new man about town and can hook you up with a cheap place to stay. He might have a job for you too...If you are good looking.

Seriously, though, if you are coming to the DR without having a job lined up, I hope you have money to live on for 3 to 6 months. I wish I could just pick up and go.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Please let us know how you make out and how easy it was to find a job so others will know as well. We get this question asked many times and the people that live there know nada.

Good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My first bit of advice

STOP SHOUTING!!

On the internet, it is considered impolite to write in CAPITAL LETTERS, which are used for SHOUTING!!!

Now, talking in normal voices, let's see.

Obviously you have work visas for the DR? You need visas to work, and residency papers. there will be no work in banks until you have them.

You can probably do waitressing jobs without papers at least for a while.

Life is not easy here these days. I am sure that you can find inexpensive housing, but I am very doubtful of your plans to find work....

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Our new friends from Belgrade

Dear Ivana,
you have got all it takes: money. Tell me how much you have and I will tell you the length of your Dominican adventure. But do come, you are the kind of people this country lives on.
All the best.
P.S.: Keep on shouting if you please to do so. This is a noisy country and at least you will have the experience of being noisy.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Dear Ivana,

How is Yugoslavia or should I say Serbia right now after being devided???

If you are moving to Dr it is not a rich country and the slaries are quite low and good jobs are hard to come by.

But going to Sosua would be your best bet, as it is a very friendly town filled with ex-pats , that made it there home and will help you out as much as you can.
being myself from that part of the world, I can see you wanting to move to somewhere as DR, but I woud suggest you try it first for about 6 month before you make a big move like that.

If you need more help, do not hesitate to get in touch with me;)
All the best
Rimma

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you go on the website for villa serena and e-mail them. Address your e-mail to Natasha Despovic(spelling is wrong) She is Yugoslavian and will be able to give better you answers and advice in Serbo-croat. Good Luck

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
good luck ivana !

Good luck ivana ! because it's difficult to find a job there,

with all my qualifications i really don't know if i will find a job when i will go there definitely, i love DR i love the people, the country, the mentality, the way of life, everything !!!!!
But I loved all that thinks step by step, that was not with my first travel that i said " i love DR ! i want to make my life there ! ", I go there regularly and I try to learn a maximum about the country, the people ... and that always pleases me so much !

so, before all that it's necessary to be sure that the country will please you, I know sooo much people who hates the Dominican republic (crazy people!!!! pfffff ! )

Try to find a cheap travel or take "dry flights" it is easy to find accommodation there or then a "last minute" with hotel, meet people, discover the country,the people, go back to belgrade and then take your decisions.

bye bye

sonia

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
languages

Dear Ivana,
may I ask what other languages you speak? In case it is French or Italian you might consider the Las Terrenas area for your work. This place is a lively community of many nationalities and is open to newcomers. I know there also is a Yugoslav girl there but have not got her address.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ivanna,

If you are as aggressive as you sound, you will be ok anywhere in the world.

Just be realistic with your expectations and as stated in past posts, have plans A thru Z both in the DR and back where you may call home. Save some money and dont burn bridges where you come from - nothing is permanent in life after all.

I wish you the best my friend...