Inflation

melvinfrom NYC

100% Pure Retard!
Nov 25, 2003
I have recently returned from the sosua area from a long vacation. This is the first time I have actually stayed "in season". I was wondering if the nearly doubled prices from last summer were simply raised for tourists or is this inflation catching up with locals and the higher prices are here to stay.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have been in Sosua for a while and I don't think the prices have doubled. They are definately up but maybe half of a double. Room prices haven't gone up, food has, beer has but it is still cheap considering the Dollar is at 43 or so.

If you live here you get to know where the GOOD deals are. There are some restaurants that have 2 menus as well. Last night I paid for dinner for 5 with 4 apps, 5 mains and 3 grande Presidentes and 2 cokes and the bill was 790 Pesos which is under 19 dollars for 5 people at Restaurant Central. Decent meal as well. 40 pesos for a grande btw.

melvinfrom NYC

100% Pure Retard!
Nov 25, 2003
Scott, where are some of the good deals ? I have a house in Caberete, so I wouldn't notice housing increases. It seems in Caberete all food costs have doubled.

I noticed the seperate menus at La Roca two weeks ago.

Of course I had the more expensive menu.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would say the "Double" is just about right!!!

I have lived here for 8 years! I have 4 kids,and 10 people in my house to take care of! Looking at all costs involved with that,X2 looks about right to me!! Cris Colon

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Mary and I were in Cabarete in early August and then again right after Christmas. We were shocked at the price increases in the bars and restaurants in that short time(nearly double)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Just depends on the products I guess. For a long time the prices of most groceries were up about 1.5x here, but lately they seemd to me to have pushed beyond to the 2x level. Other things, for reasons I can't comprehend have gone up much faster than just the devaluation rate. Cooking oil is one example, from around 70 pesos for a big bottle, to the last time I pad attention well over 220 pesos! Construction material basics also have gone up 3x-4x in some cases. We started buying cement here for 70 pesos a sack. It averages now around 210 pesos. Rebar from 15 pesos up to 65 (now down slightly). Blocks went from 4-5 pesos to 10-12.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Raf

Jan 12, 2004
Construction material

I know it's not exactly the thread, but XR, can you tell me the weight of cement sack in DR, and the dimensions of blocks to compare with european standards (I live in Belgium, sorry for my english )

Thanks

Raf

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cement is the same weitght 96 pounds

Cement blocks are 4", 6"and 8 " wide...same as in the USA.

I wish I could speak you language as well as you do in English!

HB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Construction material

Raf said:
I know it's not exactly the thread, but XR, can you tell me the weight of cement sack in DR, and the dimensions of blocks to compare with european standards (I live in Belgium, sorry for my english)
Bien sur! Un sac de ciment p?se 42.5 kilogrammes. J'esp?re que des aides. Je parle fran?ais, aussi.

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Prices have gone up but Cabarete prices seem to have increased dramatically - I think it is not only inflation but also the usual increase over the season. For regulars, there is still the 2 menu system as Escott explains.

But general cost of living has increased about 2X I would estimate from our expenses budget from a year ago, to now. We made changes in our buying and buy very little imported these days (XR, don't tell about the French wine and lovely ripe Camembert we had on your verandah last night).

Buying mostly local has saved us a lot on basic living costs and also made us more adventurous in trying to create things with local ingredients.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Scott or Chris or anyone

Could you elaborate on exactly what the "two menu" system is and how it works? Are you saying that if you are a regular at the restaurant you can get a menu with lower prices? I'm having trouble following that and want to know more. Thanks.

Bob H.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Bob H.,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

It's really quite simple; one menu for locals who by their frequency and continuing support of local businesses are the lifeblood during the slow tourism periods and another (higher priced) menu for the rich Nord Americano GringoTourist (LOL).

You know you are a local when they give you the local menu without you protestations (kind of like the local vegetable sales person throwing in some extras because you are a repeat customer so often over an extended period of time - explanation courtesy of Chris last April over lunch in Cabarete).

Gregg

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
Two menu system

FireGuy said:

It's really quite simple; one menu for locals who by their frequency and continuing support of local businesses are the lifeblood during the slow tourism periods and another (higher priced) menu for the rich Nord Americano GringoTourist

And when Cabarete or Sosua residents go play tourists to other parts of D.R., they get pluck like any other rich Nord Americano GringoTourist , see Dianne adventure in Las Galeras in other tread,(Travel Forum).
LOL
Joe Turist