huelga

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There must have been a doozie of a huelga in Navarette last night. We travelled through there at about 10 this morning and about 5 city blocks still had stones all over the road as well as big rocks, and burning tires were still burning. Does anyone know why? What the protest was all about?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Chris said:
There must have been a doozie of a huelga in Navarette last night.

A nightime Strike? Must have been the nartenders and Hookers demanding medical benifits. Only in the DR!

I assume you mean a "Riot" or "Protest". A 'huelga" is a Strike.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well, I don't know what it was - the fellows at the gas station said huelga when I asked. I did not want to ask too much at that stage as things were still burning. 5 Blocks of the road was quite impressively decorated with burning tires, rocks and boulders and this was at 10 this morning. I've seen strikes before, as well as riots. This looked a little more than the normal burning tires, rocks and stones. It did not look like it would have been much fun to be around last night.

I travel through Navarette frequently and this is the most impressive 'morning-after' that I've seen. Hence my original question - Does anyone know what this one was all about, specifically? If you know, please do tell. If you don't, please hold the comments, just this time, pretty please.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Chris, now what?s the point in answering you if we can?t be smart @sses about it at the same time?

I think it?s OK to say ?huelga? in a case like this, everyone else (Dominican) does.

One of my office staff lives in Navarrette and commutes daily, here?s a direct translation of my conversation with her:

ME: What was the huelga about in Navarrette last night?
HER: There was a huelga in Navarrette last night?
ME: Or a day or two ago, I?m not sure.
HER: Oh, there was some land and they were trying to take it away from them.
(liberal use of non-specific pronouns are typical for this girl)
ME: Who was trying to take it away?
HER: Some people who couldn?t produce any documents.
ME: Who were they?
HER: Rich people.
ME: Who were they trying to take it away from?
HER: From the people who were protesting. They won.
ME: Who won?
HER: The protesters.
ME: Thanks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks MrMike - smart-ass is usually fine by me, excepting in this case, I have to travel back this way tomorrow evening. Visions of playing dodgems through burning tires, rocks and boulders scare me silly. But with your explanation, it seems if it was a 'local disturbance' and there will be little disturbance left by tomorrow evening...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well Chris, you can be sure that it wasn't

A protest over foreign policy or the speed of Internet access among the student population.

In all probablility this was a preamble to what we will be seeing fairly soon given the stupidity of the government and the frustrations of the masses. Gasoline at 81 pesos? WTF??

I did some numbers this morning and if memory serves diesel is now 190% more than last year and this country runs on diesel..and there is nothing anybody can do.

If the news is right, the stuff that comes out of a cow's backside will really hit the fan on Wednesday when the government defaults on the US$31 million they owe Cogentrix in San Pedro. That will force the IADB to execute a US$300 million loan guarantee and put the DR in an extremely precarious position...even worse than it is now...

Navarrete> Just the tip of the iceberg..

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I know Hillbilly, I know - this is a small thing in the light of everything else. Nevertheless I had to drive over the tip of this small Iceberg this morning...
:paranoid:

I cannot for the life of me understand why the general population is not up in arms (figuratively speaking) already. The last year has been a roller coaster ride and it seems as if it is simply continuing this way. I have not really seen this population angry. Can it happen? What is the worst ever anger that the population has displayed? I've always been of the opinion that it is too much like hard work for the general Dominican Population to become really violent - they are not violent folks by their nature. Am I wrong? Should we be just a little more careful over the next few months? i.e., definitely not drive at night for example?

Just added a note to tourists and people contemplating a visit here. Generally tourist areas are not affected by internal strife. Do not even think of changing your vacation plans. Chances are that you will not see anything or even know that anything is amiss. We are just in for a little rocky ride during the run-up to the election.

Last edited: