1st Visit

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Hi All, I'm new to DR1 forum. I'm planing a visit to DR in early February. I haven't had a vacation in 4 years as I was on a 6 month contract that turned into a 4 year assignment.

If you could suggest a nice quiet place close to the beach and city and where you can meet people who are not interested in emptying your pocket.;)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board, Shad. Sosua and Cabarete would be good choices. There are always going to be people trying to get in your pocket in a resort area, but here they take "no" for an answer.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Thanks Ken.

From what I've read in the other forums, it seems that mostly hookers are found in Sosua and Cabarete. Is this a gereralization or can you meet friendly locals?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
shadInToronto said:
Thanks Ken.

From what I've read in the other forums, it seems that mostly hookers are found in Sosua and Cabarete. Is this a gereralization or can you meet friendly locals?

Many wonderful people in Sosua, expats and Dominicans. Don't believe all this generaliztion.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Cabarete is the ultimate.......

....kick back and relax kind of place. Rarely will you see a hooker wandering the street. There are one or two bars where they can be found but there is definately not hooker infestation in Cabarete.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I'd say Sosua for you.

Puerta Plata is close by and the beach in Sosua is gorgeous.

You will get people offering to sell you things pretty much everywhere, but just give them the smile and the polite no and you will be OK.

I haven't stayed at a hotel in Sosua before, but the people there all seemed very friendly and if you like snorkelling / swimming, then you would like it there!