Tensed people

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think this is the first time I am posting in a forum here. Today I really feel the need to express my experience...:confused:

I learned my lesson today. In traffic I get by times kind of frustrated because of other participants taking what I believe is my right. In most of those cases I don't back off, telling myself if I start doing that I dont get anywhere at 8 in the morning, in SD-traffic. (another reason is that I just get irritated when people think to overrule my rights.

However today I took a shortcut somewhere in the city, using the area of a public institution. The area is guarded by guardians at each exit. They know me, they also know I am using the terrain of the institution as a short cut and told me that it s not problem. On the terrain of the institution I had to make a turn. From the opposite direction a driver in a little jeep came, also to make a turn, he was directed where I was coming from and vice versa.

While he was cutting the corner he met me half wayhis turn (me also turning. Like said before, I dont like give up my (supposed) rights and so I broke but did not go back. I was perfectly at the right side of the street, he was obviously not. He stares at me like: GO BACK, and I stare back like: FORGET IT!. Then I show him how much space he has at my left hand and that he is supposed to take the turn completely and not like that. After a few seconds he goes a few meter s back, puts his car back in D and HITS ME RIGHT IN THE FRONT, actually considerably hard. He went back in reverse and took off...almost flying in another direction leaving towards one of the exit. My mouth almost dropped on my knees. When I get out of the car he is already on his way out. I shout to the guards: STOP HIM....one runs after him, but he is too fast. another is contacting the guard at the gate...but also too late. The guy is gone...and noone could even take his licenseplate.

In the meantime I have severe damage in my recently bought Toyota...and I learned a lesson not to stand my rights.....someone who gets in his mind to do something like that, might also use a gun if he had one.

Thank God he did not have one (seemingly) and that I learned to be more carefull with only material damage...a suggestion to everyone (especially foreigners): do not stand your rights in traffic at all cost. It's not worth it and people are VERY VERY tensed right now (thanks to hipolito, i guess)

gr. Mauricio

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Mauricio,

Something similar happened to us about two years ago. My father was driving and we found ourselves in a very narrow path. Another driver came from the opposite direction and was just as stubborn, he expected us to go back (even though he was the intruder). My father got out of the car (crazy man that he is) and walked a few steps towards the other driver. Well, the guy finally decided to go back and wait patiently while we passed.

We asked my father what he pretended to do by getting out of the car. His answer: Sometimes these dominicans need to be taught that we are crazier than they are!

I wouldn't advice anyone to get out of their vehicles, that's not a smart move, but in this particular situation it worked. My sisters and I have a feeling that the driver recognized my father and knew immediately he w/b in deep trouble if he got insolent. So he let us by.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Amy, do you know this for a fact? I might be wrong but I guessed that Mauricio was Dominican.

A friend of mine who is a guest in this country told me about something that happened to her recently. A large SUV crashed into the rear of her car. The driver - whom she described as an elegantly dressed man - got out, inspected his vehicle, and she signalled to him that they should pull to the side of the road, get out and discuss the matter, because her car was quite badly damaged. He looked right through her, got back into his vehicle and drove off. She was, as we say, gobsmacked. So much so that she didn't even think to get his registration number. Not that it would have done any good.

Chiri

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Chirimoya said:
Amy, do you know this for a fact? I might be wrong but I guessed that Mauricio was Dominican.
Chiri

Chiri - no, I don't know this for a fact, but from the way the original post was written I assumed (yes, I know about ASSuming) that Mauricio is foreign. If not, then I was mistaken.

Stay well,
Amy

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No one has the "Roght-of -Way" in the DR!

I have huge "Defensa" front and back on my 1987 Ford Van!!! I stop for no one! I hit those who pull in front of me! I leave the scene of all my trafic accidents(if I hit them "On Purpose" is it still an accident?)Most of the "Shit Heads" behind the wheel here are driving a "Publico" that they rent by the day,or are taxi drivers,or truck drivers in someone elses vehicle.They don't care,why should you??

Don't forget,lots of these guys have guns under their car seat! Be ready to "Duck" and run them down if they jump out waving a pistol!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:bandit:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
amy2761 said:
Chiri - no, I don't know this for a fact, but from the way the original post was written I assumed (yes, I know about ASSuming) that Mauricio is foreign. If not, then I was mistaken.

Stay well,
Amy

Well....actually I am a guest in this country. I tell that to myself every now and then and have to think about the people from Morocco and Turkey that live in MY country (holland) acting like they own the street and making me think the same: dude behave like you should, you are a guest.

However, I do not terrorize other people, nor take rights that are not mine (like some of the 'guests' in my country do). From now on I think I will not even take my own rights in traffic.

Maybe I have to get used to the relatively small car I drive now, changing from a 1994 Ford Explorer to a Toyota Corolla Van.

gr. Mauricio

Last edited:

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
If something like this or similar ever happens to anyone, you should get the license plate number, one or two eyewitnesses, get yourself a good lawyer so he can file a complaint through the police, a few hundred extra pesos to grease the police, and they will track the SOB and subpoena his ?$% to appear before court!.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
While I am at it, let me tell you a nice little story. A month or two ago my husband was parked on a quiet street in Gazcue and foolishly opened his door without looking back. Another large vehicle hurtled round the corner and smashed into the opened door, totalling it. Luckily Mr C was still in his seat otherwise his left arm and leg would have gone the same way as the door.

The driver, a Spanish resident in SD, stopped and they agreed that both were equally to blame. They went to the police station together to make a report, exchanged insurance details and shared a fria or two in the process. The Spaniard commented to my husband that this experience had completely changed his formerly negative perception of Dominican drivers.

Chiri