BroadbAnd Internet and Vonage

PhoneBill

Jan 30, 2004
Works good - Cheap way to call

It is one of the few things I do know about. I had used it for sometime in and out of the US and sent it with friends in the DR. After setting the router up (DSL connection) and setting the speed on the Vonage system to 90K, we couldn?t ask for better results. (Downloads do slow down while you are on the phone, so don?t expect high speed downloads while on the phone)

Vonage does have an area where you can check your line speeds, do this first?then be prepared for your own US phone number wherever you find a high speed connection!

My friends now have a number local to me and we talk just like they were around the corner.

This is my first post, but read the board quite often and want to thank everyone for their time and effort to post meaningful and enlightened responses. After visiting and while preparing to move, the members of the members of this board have saved me from any number of problems and expenses.

lurker

See Ya!
Apr 24, 2003
never used vonage because skype is FREE

try it at skype.com

why pay anything for long distance. hispeed is req'd and its
still in beta but it works great.

deficit

Jan 13, 2004
Yeah Skype is great, Not

Skype sucks if 100% of the people with a phone cannot call you you don't have a phone you have a proprietary system thats what skype is..

Or do you suggest I call people on a regular phone and teach them how to use Skype..

Skype is and will remain a geek tool great for chatting with other geeks but a chat service does not equal phone service..

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I brought the vonage phone down on my last trip. It works pretty well. I left it down there so my novia can call anytime for the $35 per month fee. Also I have a local 516 area code on the phone so when I call her from my NY cell it is a local call. Nights and weekends are free.

I see the phone saving me between 300-500 per month on calling cards etc.

I do get some drop outs and clicks ocasionally but was having problems with my DSL speed. It seems to work better now. The phone also comes with voicemail so it is a much better opton than using an instant messenger type voice chat.

deficit

Jan 13, 2004
Yes Skype is easy

Yes Skype is easy to use.. But still not a viable alternative to a phone on the PSTN

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Vonage and Skype are two different products focused on different markets and applications. To even talk about these two products in the same thread is comparing apples to pears. They do not pretend to be a similar product. Skype is a P2P voice system over IP. Vonage enters the real world somewhere and uses terrestrial lines.

Skype is not a geek tool. It is easy to set-up and use and in its stable of similar products, i.e., p2p telephony, it is just about the best.

Vonage is in my opinion the best in its class of products.

Geez you guys, you're talking chalk and cheese and arguing about it...

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Vonage w/ Satellite internet

If one is using satellite internet, how well would Vonage do.
Bandwidth is 1024/128. Not the quickest, but works with Skype until the clouds or rain roll in heavy. Just wondering if Vonage uses much more/less bandwidth than Skype.
Thanks

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I use Vonage + cable Internet - works well most of the time although sometimes I run into "no dial tone + no Internet" problem which can be resolved by resetting both routers in most cases.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Vonage is excellent, you must use the small linksys router, which is 3" square, the larger routers use too much bandwith and then there are delays

Vanage USA is less expensive than Vonage Canada, if you can still order Vonage...they apparently cannot take on new customers

Existing customers like myself can add more lines, I have several routers

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Thank you! Just knowing it works at all will help.
What about anyone on satellite internet? Any experience with this.
Thanks

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Da Frog

May I ask the Frog his bandwidth? And do you use the Vonage with it?
Thanks for all the input...
Otter

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Vonage is excellent, you must use the small linksys router, which is 3" square, the larger routers use too much bandwith and then there are delays

Vanage USA is less expensive than Vonage Canada, if you can still order Vonage...they apparently cannot take on new customers

Existing customers like myself can add more lines, I have several routers

when did they stop taking on new customers and why?