Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BroadbAnd Internet and Vonage

Anyone using Vonage over broadband for a local US phone number? If so how is it working?
    www.vonage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Works good - Cheap way to call

It is one of the few things I do know about. I had used it for sometime in and out of the US and sent it with friends in the DR. After setting the router up (DSL connection) and setting the speed on the Vonage system to 90K, we couldn’t ask for better results. (Downloads do slow down while you are on the phone, so don’t expect high speed downloads while on the phone)

Vonage does have an area where you can check your line speeds, do this first…then be prepared for your own US phone number wherever you find a high speed connection!

My friends now have a number local to me and we talk just like they were around the corner.

This is my first post, but read the board quite often and want to thank everyone for their time and effort to post meaningful and enlightened responses. After visiting and while preparing to move, the members of the members of this board have saved me from any number of problems and expenses.

See Ya!
    Post Thanks / Like

never used vonage because skype is FREE

try it at skype.com

why pay anything for long distance. hispeed is req'd and its
    still in beta but it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah Skype is great, Not

Skype sucks if 100% of the people with a phone cannot call you you don't have a phone you have a proprietary system thats what skype is..

Or do you suggest I call people on a regular phone and teach them how to use Skype..

Skype is and will remain a geek tool great for chatting with other geeks but a chat service does not equal phone service..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I brought the vonage phone down on my last trip. It works pretty well. I left it down there so my novia can call anytime for the $35 per month fee. Also I have a local 516 area code on the phone so when I call her from my NY cell it is a local call. Nights and weekends are free.

I see the phone saving me between 300-500 per month on calling cards etc.

I do get some drop outs and clicks ocasionally but was having problems with my DSL speed. It seems to work better now. The phone also comes with voicemail so it is a much better opton than using an instant messenger type voice chat.

See Ya!
    Post Thanks / Like

1st warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Tim H.
    Last edited by Timex; 02-01-2004 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes Skype is easy

Yes Skype is easy to use.. But still not a viable alternative to a phone on the PSTN

See Ya!
    Post Thanks / Like

oh ya, the pstn ....... silly me!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Vonage is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeeeeew hawwww

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by lurker
    oh ya, the pstn ....... silly me!
    Yes silly you..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast