Where to stay - Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
Hi,

Having never been to DR before, I am travelling to Cabarete Jan 21 and am looking for advice on good accomodation. Million-dollar question I know given variety of options.

I am looking for something on/v. close to the beach but rel. quiet at night where there is a warm and friendly atmosphere and suitable for a solo traveller. So far, I have heard Pequeno Refugio and La Punta apartments as options. Curious to hear thoughts from you experienced people.

Many thanks,

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Stay at La Punta

Hi, we have stayed at La Punta apartments twice now and found it excellent.
Very serene and relaxing. People very friendly.
Not very expensive, very quiet at night-away from the bars but still 2 minute walk along the beach. Lovely pool and beautiful lawns as well. As as there are only 8 apartments you will probably find you're the only one in the pool!
Only prob with Pequenio Refugio is that it doesn't have a pool.
It is right on the beach and has a bar/restaurant attached. It is closer to the bars on the beach than La Punta.

If you want something more upmarket try Velero Beach Resort (next to La Punta), these are 4star rooms/apartments (a lot bigger than La Punta & Pequenio and they have beautiful lawns and an overflowing pool.

Hope you get fixed up with somewhere to stay.

Regards

Rachel

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for details. La Punta sounds ideal as I don't want to be too close to the activity and end up on an ear-plug search. Actually, have heard all positives on accom. in Cabarete in general so I'm sure I'll have no probs wherever I end up as people there seem to be great from the various commentaries on DR1.com.

Gracias de nuevo.

MVN

tigre72

May 6, 2003
If you have any other questions

If you need any more help or have any more questions then ask away.
Only 4 months to wait for me until I am in Cabarete!

Regards

Rachel

Jayford

Feb 20, 2004
Moving to cab

Hey Rachael,

I'm MOVING to Cabarete in May and could use some advice where to rent. La Punta has long term rentals, but a bit pricy. I have been quoted $350 for a studio in Pro Cab, but would like to be closer in. Any suggestions. I could also use info on where to store windsurfing gear at the beach.

Thanks,

Jay

tigre72 said:
If you need any more help or have any more questions then ask away.
Only 4 months to wait for me until I am in Cabarete!

Regards

Rachel

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Rentals

Apparently Pro-Cab has had problems with flooding, no security, not good for investment (i.e. renting out to someone else), also not near to Cabarete. I've heard for rentals Bahia de Arena area is good - close to Cabarete and cheap. I haven't a contact for Bahia de Arena, but if you do a web search you will find something. Try hispaniola.com and search on the Cabarete section, there are a few threads about Bahia.

Maybe you can stay short term at La Punta, (you can leave your board on their lawn) and as you will be in Cabarete meeting people you can find out where the best/cheapest place to stay is.
La Punta is perfect as it's very close to the bars, but somehow there is no noise at night! (it's kinda sheltered by Velero Beach Resort next door).

With regards to somewhere to store your boards, try emailing on of the surfstations on the beach. Maybe you can pay them a few pesos for them to store your gear.

Any more questions let me know. :)

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
I completely disagree about Pro Cab, the security is fine and yes there is some little flooding in the roads when there is a heavy rain, but where in the DR can you get away from that! Pro Cab is a fine area with some great places to stay! Such as Ali's!

Good Luck!

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
best bet is to come and look around for yourself

Since you are coming in may, it is typically not high season so housing should not be difficult to find. I suggest that you book yourself into a hotel for 3-5 days and look around for yourself. You can get rooms in existing houses/apts/bungalows for $50-$300 per month, and an apt by yourself for $150 - $700 per month, depending on location, amenities desired, etc. I run a kitesurfing school in Cabarete. I have instructors paying as little as $80 for a room in a 3 bedoom house with backup electricity by Punta Goleta (Kite Beach)to people staying in an apt with no backup electricity for $100 per month (procab or callejon area) I also have instructors staying in a 2 bedroom condo for $1200 per month (bozo beach/villas), and 3 bedroom house on the beach near El Magnifico/Velero Beach for $600-$800.

ProCab is a good, safe area. It is where many of the locals live. Why? Because it's quiet and safe but convenient to downtown Cabarete. When it rains, it can flood but this is true for every street in the DR!

Marina
Kitexcite/Cabarete

Jayford

Feb 20, 2004
rental

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I will just book a place for a week and ask around.

Cheers,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.