Rivers and Swimming holes...help me find

DominicanaEnNC

Jan 14, 2004
About 2 yrs ago I was in DR for my return trip to the country. Had not been in close to 20 years. My husband and bestfriend had a great time -- I did also. I wrote a review of my stay. This year we are going again. I am staying in Cabarate (rented a villa) and our aim is to hit the rivers and fresh water swimming holes. What's more...we hope to hit the desolate beaches. Now, I need major help.

For one - where are some of your favorite - non-tourist filled (if possible) rivers/swimming holes and how am can I get to them?

I've looked for maps of the country w/ possible roads or with rivers but have had very little luck. My family is in Santiago and HB - last time I didn't make it to meet with you ...this year I can't fail.

We will be there from April 15 to the 22nd.

Oh, before I forget -- we were thinking of flying to Santo Domingo for a day -- I understand Santo Domingo Air flies from POP -- is this accurate? I've been to their site, requested info, and in the usual Dominican fare...was told someone would get back to me in good time. I am trying to budget/schedule and hoped to get some input. Any answers would be great!

Sorry so long. Counting down the days seems longer.

Susanita

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey that was nice

Be happy to see you.

Right now it is raining every day. Apparently the "caba?uelas" say that it will be a very rainiy year. Good for crops, bad for some tourists...

Call me at 226 8187

HB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Know One

A girl friend years ago took me to a really nice little swimming hole in a cool stream, covered with trees, up against a 30 foot high rock face. Nice little falls into and out of the pool, perfectly chilled water, easy access right next to the road, and a little stand selling beer and rum for the locals.

It's outside of Sosua Abajo in Bella Vista. From Cabarete drive through Sosua, cross the bridge in Sosua Abajo. Next left is the road through Bella Vista. I think it was maybe 10 minutes out along the road? When you get close you'll see the stream in a number of spots. Stop and ask anyone and I am sure they can point the way from there but it's on the same road.

The water seemed pretty clean and clear because it was above where it entered Sosua Abajo and was flowing at a fair clip, but who knows. I wouldn't drink any of it! I never experienced any ill effects. But this extra thumb on my right hand does really help me type faster!

Tom (aka XR)