Envios Boya

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just wondering if anyone here has used this service to send money to the DR. I've seen them advertise in several online sites and wondered how reliable and trustworthy they are. Their rates are a lot lower than Western Union. I need an alternate method of sending money as Western Union's rates are killing me...

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
I have used them many times and the service is great. They will deliver the money for you in dollars or pesos. Best of all for me, they take PayPal. I recommend them highly. I believe there was another thread about this service on the board a few months ago.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Update: I started using this service after my post here. Started with a small amount, just in case. So far the service has been excellent. They deliver the money in either pesos or USD (a small fee is added) right to the door of the person you send it to. Their fees are a lot lower than Western Union and their exchange rate, if you send in pesos, is pretty good. If the money is sent in USD they will exchange it right at the person's home at the prevailing rate (i.e. 52.5 today), if the person so desires. Anyhow, just wanted to give an update on this service. It looks like I'm going to save quite a bit in fees, as I send money at least monthly.

cyber2003

Dec 26, 2003
It looks like Envios Boya accepts PayPal only. Are there services that are comparable with those of Western Union, but less expensive, and that pay out actual dollars in the DR rather than pesos?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Cyber2003: Not sure I understand your post...As I explained in my previous post they pay out the money in either USD or pesos, and deliver it right to the door of the recipient if you so desire. If by services comparable to Western Union you mean whether they have an actual location where you can go and send the cash, I have no idea. I use the internet (even with Western Union), because of convenience. With paypal you can pay with either credit card or right out your bank account. Paying with credit card is nice, because if anything goes wrong then you can call your credit card company and cancel payment.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Suarezn, you can also do two things:
1. Give your family down here a credit or debit card. That way they are no fees involved or any type of commision.
2. Try www.superpola.com You can buy them gift certificates that they can use to buy food.

cyber2003

Dec 26, 2003
Any other ideas on this? I'm looking for a service that will accept USD cash in the US and deliver it in the DR, at fees that are lower than those of Western Union.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Sanson said:
Suarezn, you can also do two things:
1. Give your family down here a credit or debit card. That way they are no fees involved or any type of commision.
2. Try www.superpola.com You can buy them gift certificates that they can use to buy food.

I tried to buy gift certificates via superpola.com, but was unable to because they require a cedula number in order to process the request on-line and I do not have one, being that I'm not Dominican.

Have you found a way to get around that? Also what is the exchange rate that the superpola people are providing, or does that depend how it is being debited from a US$ credit/debit card?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
cyber2003 said:
Any other ideas on this? I'm looking for a service that will accept USD cash in the US and deliver it in the DR, at fees that are lower than those of Western Union.

If you need to use cash (I can't figure out why you would, unless you don't have a credit card or the money you're trying to send comes from some illegal activity), then your only choices are the casa de envios, such as quisqueyana, and others which exist in areas where there are a lot of Dominicans (i.e. NY City, Miami, Philadelphia, etc...)

If, like me, you don't live in one of these locations, then I'm afraid your only choice is Western Union. That's why I started using this service. It's so much easier and cheaper. I can send money anytime from anywhere, without having to drive to some place to perform the transaction.

In terms of Pola certificate...Not sure how well they work, but I rather give the money in USD to my family, let them exchange it at the best rate they can get, and then spend it wherever they want.

I thought about using the debit card (Quisqueyana has such a service...They call it Cashpin), but their rates are higher than Envios Boya and the people down there can only get the money in pesos, thus they get a much lower rate than if you sent it to them to be paid out in USD.

Robert: Maybe you can get Envios Boya to advertise in here.