Moving to the DR..a neverending post

Dougie48

Jan 15, 2004
A newbie to your forum....
Just read a mess of posts about moving to the DR, and found most of them quite informative. Was quite surprised at how many negatives there were.
We just got back from an all too short trip to Punta Cana, and was very impressed with the area. (The wife was in Puerta Plata a few years ago and hated it)
We are both in our late forties and looking to retire in the next couple of years and have been looking around the caribbean and Mexico as possible sites to start with the "snowbird" thing of 4-6 mo. south and the rest back in Canada for the first few years. We thought that the Higuey to Punta Cana area would be ideal, as it looks so very nice, and a lot cleaner than some of the other areas we have looked at. So, here is my query...
Is it still as bad to live there cost wise as most of the older posts state? We actually looked at a house or two, and some land parcels that were not that bad of a price. We would certainly not move anywhere without a great deal more research and a lot more training in our Spanish.
I will continue to "search" out more info on here, but thought there might be some "major" posts I may have missed already on the area. The 'bad stuff' I read sure is leading me away from my original thoughts though.
The idea of renting first was one we had definitely thought of, but wasn't thinking that the cost would be as bad as it seems to be.
Well, back to reading more posts....
Doug and Linda

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Doug & Linda!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 5,649, Threads: 26,934, Posts: 173,762

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

A Good Place to Start.
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

With Topics Like.....
MEDICAL / MONEY / ADVICE
MOVING TO THE DR
* WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.*
*ENGLISH / SPANISH PHRASE GUIDE.*
And more!!!!

Doug, don't forget to check out the page 2 link on moving.

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Last edited:

Dougie48

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks Timex...Am working nights this shift so have some time to read...There are a "few" more posts here than I am used to...haha. Will keep at it....
Doug

jdore

Jan 15, 2004
I am also a newbie to this forum.

I have been married to a Dominicana for the past 17 years. We have always planned on retireing to the DR. We have returned to the DR almost every year for the past 17 years. We have a tremendous precense of family still in the DR that are willing to help when it comes to buying a home or anything else for that matter ( I have experienced the insane price increases once someone has seen my gringo face). The largest fear that I have, in reference to moving, is how do I get all of my household items to the DR once we decide to move. I have 4 more years until I retire from the military, and the government will send all of my belongings as far as Puerto Rico. However, I understand that the import duties are extremely high...please advise

Jon

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Jon,

Sorry, but it is tough to advise you on customs/shipping for a date 4 years away. After the elections, we will know a lot more.

Currently, for many goods, the cost isn't as much as an issue as the headache. If worse comes to worst, you can sell most of your stuff and ship the really important stuff through an air courier service.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since you wil be residing here

You will be permitted to bring your household items to the country. The duties will be extremely low and a good freight handler can take care of this for you.

The people at Businesss Mail in Miami can handle a move like this, and have done it before. In Puerto Rico there are many companies that have done this.

Don't sweat it.

HB

jdore

Jan 15, 2004
Everyone,

Thank you for the info. My wife and I plan on starting our movement of goods the later part of this year. With such a short time left in the military, I want to be well on the way to my retirement before I actually get out. Our first objective is to send our vehicle this coming xmas. We plan on taking it on the ferry from Mayaguez PR to Santo Domingo. You have been so helpful I appreciate it. I will keep my eyes open to these forums to gain insight on living and working in the DR.

Jon