Physical Therapy Professionals

jandj

Jan 14, 2004
Hi everyone.
I read the medical recommendations list you generated and I am hoping someone can contribute PT practices. We are seriously considering relocating to SD or Cabarete area within the next year. My wife is a UCSF physical therapy graduate and she would like to hear about PT paid or 'pro bono' opportunities.
Thank you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I recommend that you contact Dr Gideon Plaut at Servi-Med in Cabarete. He recently moved his group into a much larger facility and has enlarged it to include a dentist and, I believe, a chiropractor. Talk with him and see what he has to say. At a minimum, I would think that your wife could build a clientel by freelancing, as long as her rates were more or less in line with those charged in this country. Next time I see Dr. Plaut I'll see if he has an email address, but for now you can get him by phone and fax at 809-571-0964.

Dr. Plaut is German trained and is an excellent doctor.

PS: Just saw the new post by Dr. Jim in the * Medical Help * thread. Sounds like it might be an opportunity for your wife to get involved in some way, if only as a freelance PT

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Nov 27, 2003
physical therapy reply

there is no license requirement in this country in the profession of physical therapy, however, there are few places to apply your services except private. If I can be of help to you on information, please contact me 280 3221 cell beeper 806 6642

Have a good day !

Dr. James Bailes, DC, MD

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
A close friend of mine from Spain studied here to get his degree in Physical Therapy, since they let med students practice medicine here, and you graduate with hands on experience.

Of course, he moved back to Spain upon graduation although this became a necessity due to his "conquistador" behaviour, he claimed that it was impossible to make a living as a physical therapist here, pay was too low.

I got physical therapy on a bad knee a few years back myself, at one of the most expensive clinics in Santiago and they charged less than US$4 for a one hour session so imagine my friend was right about the low pay.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Dr" Jim??

What does DC mean?

Are you a medical doctor?

Do you practice medicine?

Where?

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HB, he posted all the details in the sticky * Medical Help * thread yesterday or Wednesday.

Dr. Jim

Nov 27, 2003
Re: "Dr" Jim??

Hillbilly said:
What does DC mean?

Are you a medical doctor?

Do you practice medicine?

Where?

HB
DC means doctor of chiropractic medicine. Yes I practice medicine, also have MD degree and am licensed here. License # 68603 SEPAS.
Puerto , Plata Sosua, Cabarete...I do home medical services. My specialty is Rehabilitation Medicine and Internal Medicine. Rehab of spinal and related pain, rehab of chronic diseases, and alternative medicine ie Intravenous chelation therapy etc.

jb

tjy

Oct 15, 2003
I'm a US-trained physical therapist who has been practicing in Santiago for about a year. I'd agree that it's a little tough in the beginning, but you might be able to carve out a niche if you're persistent. A good way to get started is with pro-bono work. I can try to connect you to a few people down here. We can discuss the details by e-mail.

Tony Young
tonyyoung0990@yahoo.com

tjy

Oct 15, 2003
I don't know as many people in Santo D., but you could try Dr. Jeannette Aguilar de Mena. She's a Physiatrist at UniRehab, Santo D. I don't know how good she is, but I can tell you her schedule's very full and she's very dedicated. She speaks both Spanish and English.

She has a very nice clinic next to Universidad Catolica: 412-0101, 535-2647.

There's also a fairly new complex called Plaza de la Salud, but I don't know any therapists there.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Jan, if you have had back surgery ex: herniated disc removed through laminotomy or laminectomy procedure, then you have very slim chances of having back pain relieved. People usually take pain killer medicine, facet blocks or seek relief through yoga exercises, acupuncture etc. I do not think chiropractic therapies would help in most post surgerical cases.

tjy

Oct 15, 2003
AZB said:
Jan, if you have had back surgery ex: herniated disc removed through laminotomy or laminectomy procedure, then you have very slim chances of having back pain relieved. People usually take pain killer medicine, facet blocks or seek relief through yoga exercises, acupuncture etc. I do not think chiropractic therapies would help in most post surgerical cases.

I agree that post surgery cases can be difficult, but would like to clarify that I'm a physical therapist, not a chiropractor. Much of physical therapy treatment is based on therapeutic exercise, adapted to the tolerance of the patient.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
does anyone here have any experience treating tendonitis? I am having wrist problems from working too much at the computer - but am unsure if there is much experience with this problem in the DR.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I have a fair amount of experience dealing with repetitive strain disorders. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan, but I can tell you that your problem most likely is not just in the wrist, but encompasses the arm, shoulder and upper back. So when you find someone to treat you, I would make sure they address all of those areas.

The technique I use I often teach to my clients so they can work on each other. It is very easy to do.

If I can find another great deal on a vacation package (I just missed the deadline on one :angry: ), I will let you know. Email me your email address and I will write you if I am able to make it down. If not, feel free to email me and I can tell you some simple things you can do that may ease your discomfort.

Tondra

Alfred

Oct 12, 2011
Yes this is very good field. future is very bright even u build up ur PR too nowadays so many people really need the physical therapist one of my friend is physical therapist he is earning very good..........

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yes this is very good field. future is very bright even u build up ur PR too nowadays so many people really need the physical therapist one of my friend is physical therapist he is earning very good..........

Dude, this thread is seven years old. The OP hasn't logged in since April 2004.
I'm just sayin'

SHALENA