Increased AMET activity in santiago

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Folks, I am not sure about other cities but in santiago it seems the AMET (traffic police) is after your blood. They are everywhere in huge numbers and stopping poeple for not wearing seat belts, not having vehicle papers in order and various other faults. They are handing out tickets to just about anyone and checking out every car with keen eyes to find prospective victims.
Just be careful when you come to santiago.
Regards,
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Funny you should say that, when I drove through Santiago last week I noticed that the wearing of seatbelts was nowhere near as widespread as in SD, where it has become the norm. Except for in conchos that is.

Chiri

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I was just in Santo Domingo for 2 weeks and saw about a half dozen drivers being stopped and forced to remove the old brown license plates off their cars, for the new yellow ones.
AMET is driving around with screw drivers and plyers and you'll do the work yourself. Perhaps that is part of the increased presence?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Well, the reason for people in Santo Domingo wearing their seatbelts is the $10,000 peso fine that they give to those who they catch........and they're all over the place

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Actually...

Drivers would be more likely to drive carefully if they were not allowed to have seat belts.

It would probably save lives of others.

At least that would be the case outside the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So people are starting to actually wear seatbelts in Santo Domingo. Interesting, all that AMET has to do now is buy a few cars or jeeps and equip them with speed sensors, create speed traps across the major avenues (also Autopista Duarte) and make it very clear of the super hefty fine the ones caught will receive. Maybe people would learn to slowdown when driving, it shouldn't be to much of a hassle for locals, after all, they take everything else in life in a slowdown fashion.