US College Degree valid in DR?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hello all,

Does my US college degree mean much in DR? I know for a fact that the degree from DR doesnt mean much in the States. I also know you need a working visa to be able to work in a corporation there. What else is necessary to apply for a professional-type job there?

Thanks... Baby steps for my move... baby steps...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Talldrink said:
Hello all,

Does my US college degree mean much in DR?
Not really. All depends on your experience.

I know for a fact that the degree from DR doesnt mean much in the States.
Not true. All depends on the university.

I also know you need a working visa to be able to work in a corporation there.
Not always true. All depends on the corporation. I know some that have foreigners working with them and do not have any legal status to speak of. Although this is getting less and less.
Yes, having legal status is always best and will make your life easier in lots of areas.

What else is necessary to apply for a professional-type job there?
Lots of friends that are well connected. These are by far your best assett. Much more important than any experience or pieces of paper you have. Start networking now, it's the key to finding a job in the DR.

Thanks... Baby steps for my move... baby steps...
The DR is like nothing you have ever experienced and nothing can prepare you for living and working here. If you have that "Caribbean lazy dream" in your head, I suggest you go look at another country.

Read everything on DR1. Use the search function of this message board. If your serious, get serious.

We are by far the largest, most respected and used resource relating to the Dominican Republic. We are at your service, feel free to use and abuse us :)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks Robert. I am Dominican and I visit quite often. My mom has her own company and I have many friends who are still there from my childhood - so trust me I KNOW is hard work. I ask a lot of questions here b/c all my friends are from El Barrio and many of them dont have a clue what happens outside of the town - let alone in other cities. I didnt even know how big other cities are there and specially didnt know as much about DR as I know now - all from your site. it is quite good...

so thanks for the reply.

Back to the original post - I'm working on my finishing my Marketing degree, I want to become a Medial Rep. Do you know of any there? Do you - or anyone else - know anything about the pharma industry in DR?

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Talldrink, do you mean medical rep? If so, yes they are here. Whenever I go to Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata to see my doctor I see them with their black cases calling on doctors.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
MEDICAL!

Ken, thanks for that. And yes, I was talking about a Medical Rep - dont know what a medial rep does (sounds like someone who would represent 'special' people) sounds retarded :confused:

Can you do me a favor then? when you see one, ask for a business card (they should be happy to give you one) And I will call one. I would love to know more about it from someone who is knee deep in it. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What a waste of time and talant

Med Reps here-called "Visitadores a M?dicos" are a dime a dozen. they can earn good money but have to be pushy, don't need a degree, and are like used car salesmen.

If you are studying Marketing, you want to work for the Advertizing company that pushes the product or the company's marketing division, not out in the street selling the stuff.....

Jeez, don't they have Guidence Councelors any more??

And also pretty much all of what Robert said!

HB

pretty woman seem to be the best candidates for such a job since most of the Doctors or decision makers tend to be male. I had an ex who had that profession and she was well in the six figures. Men were very limited in that profession. I'm pretty sure it would be the same in DR. At least I would imagine so.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
let me try to save some time

This is not a place to come to make your fortune. In most cases, it isn't even a place to come to earn a living. Yes, there are no show jobs, government patronage plums, and an insignificant number of positions that pay a living wage - but the number of people looking for these far outnumber these situations, by a factor of thousands.

If you are looking for opportunity, look elsewhere to avoid frustration. If you have priviliged opportunity, and the flexibility to take advantage of it from the location of your choice, you would likely enjoy the country.

Best of luck.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Re: What a waste of time and talant

Hillbilly said:
Med Reps here-called "Visitadores a M?dicos" are a dime a dozen. they can earn good money but have to be pushy, don't need a degree, and are like used car salesmen.

If you are studying Marketing, you want to work for the Advertizing company that pushes the product or the company's marketing division, not out in the street selling the stuff.....

Jeez, don't they have Guidence Councelors any more??

And also pretty much all of what Robert said!

HB

Hillbilly, I was wondering about being a med rep in DR b/c I work for a pharma company here in NJ and my reps here make VERY GODD MONEY, so it was a thought.

I would love to work in another level of marketing, as I have worked in the field for several years now and I really like it. So what you suggested sounds good as well.

Do YOU know of any guidence counselors that specialize in Life in the DR? With your post you have done more than my college counselor who lives somewhere in Phoenix and knows jack about living in DR would ever do. That is why I posted the thread.... I truly appreciate your reply.

This is not what I'm setting out to do right now. I am gathering information in order to make an educated decision. I like to know all my options before I do anything...

Thanks for the advice!

To Sancochojoe:
As far as being attractive - I am about 5'10 with the typical 'dominican girl' body (over there they calle me Rubia) so I cant really complain about my looks...

I Figured that much TallDrink, It makes good business sense for a Pharmacutical to hire woman fairly attractive to do business for them in a male dominate profession. Of course things are changing since Woman doctors are starting to outnumber males.

But in DR, I would assume you would do well in DR, the question is how much money would you makes? I don't see you expecting what you would expect in the states.

Would you be willing to take a serious pay cut?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
My Conundrum

That?s where the hesitation comes in... Right now right here, NO, I can?t afford a pay cut. I have small kids and I'm still working on my 5-year plan. I do very well now as far as money is concerned and I have big plans once I finally finish school. However, I don?t want to stay in NJ all my life and I would love to experience my country and like many others posts say ?follow my dreams? and all that jazz.

After reading this board (and not doing my homework!) I have learned that it is not impossible to actually do it. So at least is something to consider.

I may end up just buying a place there and just going whenever I get a sale fare from my American Airlines Airmail :)

Well you might have to be a business owner in your field in DR it seems. If you are making the money you are making in the states, maybe you can save and try to open a Pharmacy in DR.
They seem to be dotted everywhere in DR. Or at least supply to the Pharmacy stores.