Fill up the gas tanks - gas stations going dry

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
One of my good friends, a trusted source of information in the dr government, has just warned me that the gas stations will be closing after Sunday the 18th. They are trying to keep fuel off the street for the up coming huelga on 28th and 29th.

Fill up your cars and generators.

The national guard will be out in force.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sources in the Dominican Petroleum Refinery have indicated that they are not accepting letters of credit from the government -- only cash payments. This could affect the flow of supply in the near future -- as occurred with aviation fuel recently. Recommendation is to keep your tank full. This morning the news is also that a big price hike is in store for Saturday.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is hard to believe that the gas stations will be closed from the 19th to the 30th (if I read Gringo's post correctly) because of a possible strike on the 28th and 29th. The amount of disruption this will cause would be reason for a serious strike in itself.

If there is a shortage of gasoline, Dolores' explanation makes a lot more sense to me.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sounds a trifle preposterous

gringo in dr said:
One of my good friends, a trusted source of information in the dr government, has just warned me that the gas stations will be closing after Sunday the 18th. They are trying to keep fuel off the street for the up coming huelga on 28th and 29th.

10 days of closure in anticipation of a problem? Even at risk of accumulation of gasoline as a weapon you'd think that there would be larger economic issues due to vehicles essential to commerce having no fuel for nearly two weeks. Sounds bogus.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MrMike said:
And yet there were long lines at the pump yesterday. Hmmm...

Which is what you would expect if a price increase was expected on Saturday as Dolores reported.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Trying to force the exchange rate to 30 to 1 could cause an economic disruption also. :)

In the DR, anything can happen. Keep the tanks topped off. It doesn't hurt to be ready.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We will see what all you guys living in the DR are really made of? A little adversity can bring out the best in us.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is not the first time the country has experienced these shortages of fuel because bills hadn't been paid. I've been living here since 1986 and have seen this happen at least several times.

So far, the country has always managed to muddle through with a minimum of disruption. The government can't afford to have the country come to a standstill for lack of fuel. Money will be found, bills will be paid, at least sufficiently to cause the ships carrying fuel to sail, and fuel will be delivered to the pumps. There may be a few bad days, but, based on past experience, it shouldn't last long before the filling stations are back to normal.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I go along with Ken that the country will muddle through this economic bump.

Yesterday, Friday, I observed in my travels from Bavaro to Higuey and back different situations at the bombas I encountered. The Shell in Beron at 1 pm had lines 4 - 5 vehicles deep at its pumps. The Shell at the La Otra Banda side of Higuey at 1:30 was closed (waiting for the prices to go up, then sell). The Isla in Higuey on the Higuey/Yuma road at 1:45 was open, no lines, PJT took the opportunity to top off. The Shell on the Higuey/Yuma road open the lines were 3 deep.

My return trip that evening found the Shell on Av Libertad in Higuey had a line that had worked itself from the station onto the street causing some little more than usual traffic chaos. The Shell at the La Otra Banda side was still closed, however there were some vehicles lined up in hopes of an opening. Back in Beron the Shell had normal traffic.

It appears there is some agreement between the government and the fuel suppliers in the works according to what I have read in this Sat. am's news that will continue the flow of combustibles into service, at higher prices of course. But, the news I my estmations does not preclude any other interruption of supply for whatever reason in the near future. My advice is keep your tanks full and go with the flow.

Regards, PJT