Fresh meat & seafood

mum2megan2001

Jan 9, 2004
We are leaving in 12 days to rent a villa in Cabarete for a month. Even though we plan on eating out a fair bit, we will definately be cooking at home sometimes too (a grill is provided with our villa). I was wondering if there are places in town to purchase fresh seafood and meat. I was told there's a large grocery store in Sosua, but I was wondering what there is around Cabarete.

Thanks in advance!
Chalene

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course there is

Remember that Sosua is just about 5 minutes down the road, and they have better cuts and better prices, I am told. Sosua also has a German Bakery that is to die for.

You won't have any problems finding what to eat, fish fowl or good red meat.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there is a large supermarket on the highway in Sosua. Playero.

The best place to buy beef is a German butcher near the entrance to Sosua coming from Cabarete. As you come into town, you will pass a large car wash on your left (there will be one on the right earlier, but that isn't it. Next to the car wash is a small snack bar, and next to it is a long, low building that includes a restaurant. There is a small fence in front. Go through the gate and up the couple of steps to the porch. The door to the meat market will be to your right, the one to the restaurant to your left. We buy beef tenderloin there because it is aged. What you buy in the supermarket isn't, so it is tougher.

For fish, talk with restaurant owners an see where they buy it. I know there is a fishermen's collective in Charamicos (the other part of Sosua) where you can buy fresh fish. You won't find it in the supermarket.

There are small grocery stores in Cabarete, but I'm sure their beef, if they sell it, is not equal to that of the German butcher. Meat isn't routinely aged here like in the US. Consequently it is range fed and tough.

You will find when you cook meat, even ground beef, that there is no fat.

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken - I know the butchery, but your directions were confusing. The butchery is on the left coming in to Sosua. There will be a modern green and yellow sign, lightpost high, advertising the German butchery.

It is the very best place to buy meat; however, we and others have had good luck at the small mart inside Coastal Gas Station too. We were surprised how good their meat was, but I think the owner is taking great pains to beat out the competition of the supermarkets. Maybe he gets it from the butchery - who knows! If so, his late hours of operation makes it convenient for us.

The wonderful German bakery is also near entrance to Sosua. after the Car Wash on the right, you'll see a sign on the left for "Trade Winds" apartments. Take the road (crappy) right across from the Trade Winds sign. The road ends right in front of the bakery and an excellent German restaurant where meals are just $5 at night, and you'll have more than you can eat!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JanH, you are absolutely right. Sitting at my computer, far from the entrance to Sosua, I obviously got turned around. I have changed the cirections in my previous post.

Could very well be that the Coastal market gets its meat from the German meat market. I know that he has commercial customers.