correcting low voltage problem

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Am I the only one with a low voltage problem? It is not uncommon that my inverter is on when the power is on (it kicks in at around 94 volts). I have my TV connected to a small voltage regulator whose indicator light is almost always pegged on red indicating "very low voltage". I could go on, but you get the picture. I would at least like to get my voltage up around 105-110.

Has anyone seen any kind of voltage regulator or boost transformer that would be suitable for an entire house?

Are there any other solutions worth noting?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Maybe We Can Trade

We've been getting 132VAC from EdeNunca. We'll take 15 away from that leaving us with 117VAC and add it to yours so you'll have 109VAC. Deal?

Tom (aka XR)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You should try emailing "Jimmy Stewart" that sometimes posts on this board. He has a source for regulating transformers that will cover the entire house. It's not cheap but it does give constant 110V output between 80-130v.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Thanks Robert. I will check it out.

BTW, I do have a Trace inverter (3.6 kw DR series). The problem is that it is not a voltage regulator. If I were to set it to, lets say, 100 or 105 volts to switch over, then it would always be on and the batteries would go dead. As it is, set to kick in at around 95 volts, it already runs too much when the power is on.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Maybe Edenunca and Edepoco could get together,eh?
Or maybe you could just save your excess voltage and then I could come get it every month or so?!

Ah the joys!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Voltage elevator/regulators.

There are voltage regulators on the market that could resolve your problem.
I don't know the brands are available anymore. The last one I bought worked quite well. It would take any voltage down to 85 and boost it up to 110, and lower to 110, anything up to 140.
I know the problem you're experiencing, and it's darn inconvenient.
You would need a good quality unit with a capacity of approx. 7 K or more, as the 3600 trace can often put out almost double for a short burst.
There would be no sense doing the whole house. Just put it in front of the inverter. The other things in your house that are not hooked up to the Trace, such as your hot water, don't matter all that much, if the voltage drops a bit.
I bought my unit at Plaza Lama, some odd 10 years ago, but they must sell them at most fereterias and electrical supply stores.
Marco.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Yes, we have 220. I haven't checked it for a while, but I think both phases run about the same. Since the inverter runs almost everything, there isn't much running on the other phase. Just a water heater and I have two 220v air conditioners. Occasionally, I will run a heavy tool or something on that phase also.

Would a voltage regulator have to be wired for 220v or can I use two separate 110 units (say 1 big one and 1 small one)? The problem is that, when the inverter is both charging and running everything, there is a really heavy load on that side.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

I believe you need only one elevator/regulator to use in conjunction with your inverter.
The items hooked up to the other phase may not be that affected by voltage drops.
The reason I asked the question, is that one line is frequently higher than the other, as your neighbours who are hooked up to the same CDE transformer may have a disbalance in which line they consume from most. This lowers the voltage on the side most used, and elevates the other one.
If you have one line that comes in higher, you should hook this "prefered" line to the inverter.
I do have a couple of friends in town who are electrical engineers who could tell me where to purchase good regulators, so if you do decide to buy one, you are welcome to e-mail me, and I will find out for you.
Marco rockysbluesbar@hotmail.com