coffee?

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Dear DR1, please help me locate a distributor of Dominican coffee. Since our last visit we have finished off the coffee we purchased and have not been able to find a decent cup since. We are kicking ourselves for not purchasing more, but here is hoping you guys could help our quest. We live in Ottawa but will travel anywhere in Ontario for a fine cup of coffee. Anyones help on this would be great. Our next trip is in the works for the DR and will definitely be bringing back a suitcase full of the wonderful coffee served and produced in the DR.
Thanks for your help

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
If your local supermarket has a brand called "Del Bueno" (Yellow & Black can), or another brand of Columbian Coffee, you might experiment with those. The flavor is very close and depending on how it is brewed, you should be able to duplicate Dominican Coffee. There is another brand in a Red can named something like "Pilar". I'm not sure of the name, but both were available in HEB in Waco, TX.

Buena Suerte.

Texas Bill

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Have looked up or contacted the recommended sites on coffee but none of them will send orders to Canada. Maybe a kind Canadian DR1 soul may know a distributor in Canada for Dominican coffee?
Have tracked down the organic products of coffee from the DR that are distributed in Canada. But forgive me if I have to say they still do not have the taste or quality of the "Santa Domingo" brand. I think the difference is in the roasting of the bean. Will keep my hopes up and my eyes open on the market shelves, and heres also hoping for more info.
thanks everyone
Toby

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
I am going down in 1 month and plan to bring back coffee on
our return trip , My wife took quite a liking to Dominican coffee ,
and I like it as well . Anybody know how much you are allowed to return with per person ? We are four and other than rum ,
barcello extra veigo , will have lots of available weight , as I am taking only t- shirts , trunks, shorts, and a spare liver . I live near Smiths Falls and if it will work I can bring You back some if you let Me know the exact brand and description of packaging .

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As far as I know there is no restriction on how much coffee you can take. I usually take about 10 packets.

Some are presents for my nearest and dearest, but most are to keep me going while I am away. Nothing else will do!

Chiri

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Dear Carsey700 Bless you for considering bringing back coffee for my family. Smith Falls is no problem for pick up and would love to get around ten pounds of Santa Domingo "Cafe Molido" coffee. This coffee is found at any of the grocery stores or local tourist shops and is the general purpose coffee of the Dominican consumer. It is packaged in a White vacum pack with black and red lettering and you may find it is the cheapest coffee when purchasing. Beleive me it is wonderful and makes a wonderful everyday coffee for those who love thier Java!.
Forgive me but I inexperienced at how to contact you on this forum, but I think you can contact me by posting a personal message via the e-mail notification.(?) If not please post another response on this thread and then I will forward my phone number.
I also hope you are packing sun screen and a good book for those lazy times around the pool. A good novel is difficult to find and extremely expensive, and sun screen was going for about $12 Cnd a small container.
Here to hoping to hear from you Carsey 700 and thanks for thinking of my family, you are truly a gentlemen/gentlewomen of class!
Toby

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
Hi Toby,
I don't see a problem with the amount , and actually two of our friends booked a week at the playa naco ? I think and I will ask
if they would bring some for now how much a lb. should it be in canadian or us . I am just leaving to go snowmobiling in Quebec
for a week and they leave saturday , I will try to get a hold of them before that as I am out of barcello also . E-mail me with details at carsey700@aol.com Please indicate who you are as I delete a pile of spam everyday .

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
Chirimoya said:
As far as I know there is no restriction on how much coffee you can take. I usually take about 10 packets.

Some are presents for my nearest and dearest, but most are to keep me going while I am away. Nothing else will do!

Chiri
Thanks Chiri ,
I am assuming a packet to be 300 grams ? and do they sell it in 1kg or bigger bags?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominicans still use lbs and ozs, not metric. Coffee comes in 8oz, 1lb and 2lb packs, as well as small "funditas" with one coffee-pot measures worth. You can also buy it by weight in the Mercado Modelo, Cafeteria del Conde, Carrefour supermarket (all in the capital) and others.

Chiri