Police

sococarolyn

Jan 8, 2004
Had a bad experience last year with a Dominican policeman who accused us of going through a red light, which I hasten to add was definitely green. Ended up paying him money. Just wondered what is the best course of action? Pay or argue, though I doubt whether my Spanish is quite up to a heated arguement yet! I'd like to know why he didn't stop the other four cars that followed me through, I'm sure at least one of those must have gone through on red!Cheers, Carolyn.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Your a tourist, act stupid and do not give them any money. They will not push it, as it's not worth their while taking you to the station etc. They will just get their butts kicked for bringing in a tourist.

Why did you get stopped? You must have been the easy target. Maybe the other 4 cars had locals in.

What part of the country did this happen in?

sococarolyn

Jan 8, 2004
Hi Robert, we got stopped in Santo Domingo, or the outskirts of it anyways. I guess we got stopped because my husband and I are English and we were with two Dominican guys but I don't know! I was hoping to get around a bit on our own this time - we are coming in 4 weeks - but the experience kind of put me off. I do speak Spanish but not to the extent of arguing with the guy. So, if it is just my husband and I, we act dim huh? Carolyn

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ask for a receipt

sococarolyn said:
So, if it is just my husband and I, we act dim huh? Carolyn

Or ask to have the facts of the "case" reviewed by their superiors. Suggest they radio for one to come to the scene. Documentation or a review by a boss will quash a bribe attempt. That said, if they want RD$100, or $2 US, other than the sense of outrage it is a lot of work to argue for the principle.

I am not sure but if it is AMET they are not too bribeable and they may think it is a legitimate beef.

sococarolyn

Jan 8, 2004
For two dollars, I agree with you but he wanted $80. We got away eventually with $50 but still a bit steep for not doing anything wrong!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the polite way is to

Tell him to bugger off in English...you are dumb! You don't know the language. Just sit there and stare at him, do not give him any papers. If he mimes that you did something, shake your head
! Who me????/

And Rob's advice of see a superior is good too...

HB

sococarolyn

Jan 8, 2004
Hey, I may be blonde but I'm not dumb! And the arguing was left to the two Dominicans we were with, but they still ended up giving him money. I've read horror stories about the Police in the DR and was just wondering what the best course of action would be if we are stopped on our own. Like I said, I do speak the language quite well but not enough to argue legal points with a corrupt police officer.
The advice regarding a superior sounds ok - may try that if I get in trouble again.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You would have been in a stronger position without the help of your Dominican passengers. Can't play dumb when you have your own translator.

I live here and speak Spanish, but I would likely play dumb tourist if stopped by a policeman.

If you speak enough Spanish to ask for and receive directions, etc., why do you need to have 2 Dominicans along?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sococarolyn said:
For two dollars, I agree with you but he wanted $80. We got away eventually with $50 but still a bit steep for not doing anything wrong!

Your Dominican friends let you pay US$50? They must of phoned ahead to make sure their friend the cop knew your car was coming.

Don't worry about getting stopped. I haven't been stopped in years. Get out and enjoy the country. A car is by far the best way to do this, you can go anywhere and see whatever you want. For me, driving in the DR is great fun!

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
1. If you didn't do anything, you can pretend you don't see them and drive on or just wave.
2. If they do stop you, you can play their game too. Start rifling through all of the junk in your glove compartment, under the seats, etc looking for those elusive title papers you are sure are there, but just can't quite seem to come up with. Eventually, if it isn't legitimate, they will likely give up and realize you know their game and they won't get anything.
3. The long and the short is that your patience has to be longer than theirs.
4. If they really do have a legitimate beef, be nice.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I read an article recently about a woman living in a foreign country. Not the DR, but it could have been. She always carried a tape recorder in the car and when pulled over, like you were, she made a show of turning on the tape recorder and holding the mike up so the officer's voice would be recorded. She said it worked like a charm every time.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
sococarolyn said:
Had a bad experience last year with a Dominican policeman who accused us of going through a red light, which I hasten to add was definitely green. Ended up paying him money. Just wondered what is the best course of action? Pay or argue, though I doubt whether my Spanish is quite up to a heated arguement yet! I'd like to know why he didn't stop the other four cars that followed me through, I'm sure at least one of those must have gone through on red!Cheers, Carolyn.
sococarolyn, what happened to you have been happening to people in the dr for years. I believe that it's getting better because back in the early 90's, my car was stopped about 7 times in one day!!!. I was going to Boca Chica and although the drive was only 1 hour, I got stopped all those times. The only thing that saved me was some fricking cards that I carry with me. One day I lost my wallet and the cards and when I got stopped, the moron WAS going to take us to the police precint so I ended up giving him some pesos, although I got him fired the next day. After that I came out with a solution: when driving, cut some newspaper to the size of a bill and put a 10 pesos bill on top of the newspaper clipping and put a rubber band around it and always leave it in your love compartment. When they stop you, just give it to the police officer and go. He does not want people to see that he is taking a bribe so he will put it in his pocket after feeling it and thinking that he made his day. Do not argue with them because those jack-behinds WILL take you to the precint just to prove a point. It's not worth the trouble.

sococarolyn

Jan 8, 2004
Cheers Miguel. I could get a wicked semse of satisfaction doing that! It would serve the b******* right!"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I can't believe you paid 50 dollars on the spot and like robert said, your dominican friends let you pay that amount? I can see what type of dominicans were riding with you in the car. Please folks stop acting like victims. These police officers are chicken-sh*t thugs in cheap uniform.
Here is what you do: Don't get upset with them at all or this will simply derteriorate the situation. When they come to you, show confidence and shake his hand first before he even says a thing. Squeeze his hand tighter than normally and say, how can I help you in spanish. This will give him the impression that you are no turkey and know a few things in this country. When he would say that you have passed the red light, simply laugh and say, "you must be joking with me. I would never break the law....etc etc" and keep you cool and stand erect. Don't act like a dumb blond tourist and don't talk to the cop if you are a woman and accompanied by your husband or male companion. Let the guy take charge and let him handle the situation. Police respect men more if they take charge rather than him sitting inside and you doing the talking. He would seem like a whimp and the cops will become lions.
Most foreigners often become very tense in situations like these and totally lose their composure. they begin to fight with the authority and try to point out that its not fair or just etc etc. Don't try to change their minds by arguing and insutling them. Play their game and win.
EX: I was driving to moca and was stopped by radar gun holding cops. They were not Amet but rather regular street police. When the guy approached me, I gave him a big smile and shook his hand tight and said: "dime compadre, en que puedo servirle?" he told me that I was way above the speed limit. I acted dumb and said (in spanish) "oh I am so sorry to hear that, but you see I am not from here, I am a foreigner and I don't know the law."
he looked at my face and saw that I was also a "tigre" (wise guy). He asked me where I was from, so I told him I was from "katmandu". You should have seen the confused look on his face. he simply shook my hand and let me go.
You see, these cops are dumb idiots who are simply looking for the next prey. When they come across a guy who is more smarter than they are, they get intimidated.
The problem with foreigners are that they are good at making themselves excellent victims. They are so straight that a kid can sell them sand on a deserted beach. You folks have to become smarter and know the ropes and learn the rules of any country before you visit.
Another example: I was in a bar in moscow, russia with a friend. A fight broke out and a few people got hurt badly. We couldn't leave because the action was at the door. Cops came in and broke up the whole scene and let us out. The cop had seen who we were and what we were doing inside (drinking). later we went to another bar and my friend got drunk. I had to take the wheel and drive back. At red light, guess who we found? We found the same cops who broke up the fight in the bar. Those cops quickly stopped us and asked me to hand over my license and papers of the car. Then he accused me of being drunk which I was not. Before I took the wheel of the car, I had already done some research on the scams the russian police pull on foreign drivers. They stop foreign drivers for DWI and then proceed to insert a dirty IV in their vein to take out a blood sample to test for achohol in a machine. Its all a trick to panic the foreigner when he sees a dirty needle coming towards his arm. They quickly settle for 50-100 dollars to get out of the predicament. USA embassy was well aware of these abuses by cops so they put pressure on moscow to bring in american citizens to the embassy's doctor for blood analysis rather than performing on the street by incompetent cops. This was the new rule in effect at the time for americans and I knew it.
Now these cops intimidate you by coming closer to you while talking and actually letting the barrel of the AK47 assult rifle touching your chest. Many foreigners simply get scared and pay up but I knew the law so I told him that I was not going anywhere with him except the embassy. He kept insisting that he would perform the blood test himself but I kept telling him that I will only go to the embassy's doctor because I am an american citizen and I have the right to see my doctor. After a few minutes of bickering, he simply gave up and told me to leave.
So you see, there is always a way out. If you think you are really in a jam with these cops ex: red light offense etc, please don't pay 50 dollars. Try to pay50 pesos if you are being generous. If your dominican friends let you pay 50 dollars, they are not your friends at all.
Better luck next time.
regards,
AZB

sococarolyn

Jan 8, 2004
Hi, thanks for your reply re the cops, but I have to tell you guys - our Dominican friends paid the bill, not us. One of the guys is Dominican but lives in the States now and the other guy lives in Boca Chica, so no - they didn't see us coming like some replies have suggested. And even though I insisted, they wouldn't even take a contribution to the fine from us. They did put up a long argument with the police and I know Miguel has some friends in the police over there, so maybe he should have called them, I don't know. This thread was more of a query should we be stopped on our own. And it is intimidating when you are a foreigner in the country and you get stopped by Police that you know for a fact are corrupt. But I have plenty of advice to play with, so if it happens again, I am sure we can have some fun. The unfortunate thing is my husband doesn't speak Spanish and would probably end up decking the guy, which though it would show he is not a"'wuss', it probably wouldn't do us a lot of good! Thanks for all the advice. Wonder if it would help if I told them I worked for the police in England?????

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
AZB said:
I can't believe you paid 50 dollars on the spot and like robert said, your dominican friends let you pay that amount? I can see what type of dominicans were riding with you in the car. Please folks stop acting like victims. These police officers are chicken-sh*t thugs in cheap uniform.
Here is what you do: Don't get upset with them at all or this will simply derteriorate the situation. When they come to you, show confidence and shake his hand first before he even says a thing. Squeeze his hand tighter than normally and say, how can I help you in spanish. This will give him the impression that you are no turkey and know a few things in this country. When he would say that you have passed the red light, simply laugh and say, "you must be joking with me. I would never break the law....etc etc" and keep you cool and stand erect. Don't act like a dumb blond tourist and don't talk to the cop if you are a woman and accompanied by your husband or male companion. Let the guy take charge and let him handle the situation. Police respect men more if they take charge rather than him sitting inside and you doing the talking. He would seem like a whimp and the cops will become lions.
Most foreigners often become very tense in situations like these and totally lose their composure. they begin to fight with the authority and try to point out that its not fair or just etc etc. Don't try to change their minds by arguing and insutling them. Play their game and win.
EX: I was driving to moca and was stopped by radar gun holding cops. They were not Amet but rather regular street police. When the guy approached me, I gave him a big smile and shook his hand tight and said: "dime compadre, en que puedo servirle?" he told me that I was way above the speed limit. I acted dumb and said (in spanish) "oh I am so sorry to hear that, but you see I am not from here, I am a foreigner and I don't know the law."
he looked at my face and saw that I was also a "tigre" (wise guy). He asked me where I was from, so I told him I was from "katmandu". You should have seen the confused look on his face. he simply shook my hand and let me go.
You see, these cops are dumb idiots who are simply looking for the next prey. When they come across a guy who is more smarter than they are, they get intimidated.
The problem with foreigners are that they are good at making themselves excellent victims. They are so straight that a kid can sell them sand on a deserted beach. You folks have to become smarter and know the ropes and learn the rules of any country before you visit.
Another example: I was in a bar in moscow, russia with a friend. A fight broke out and a few people got hurt badly. We couldn't leave because the action was at the door. Cops came in and broke up the whole scene and let us out. The cop had seen who we were and what we were doing inside (drinking). later we went to another bar and my friend got drunk. I had to take the wheel and drive back. At red light, guess who we found? We found the same cops who broke up the fight in the bar. Those cops quickly stopped us and asked me to hand over my license and papers of the car. Then he accused me of being drunk which I was not. Before I took the wheel of the car, I had already done some research on the scams the russian police pull on foreign drivers. They stop foreign drivers for DWI and then proceed to insert a dirty IV in their vein to take out a blood sample to test for achohol in a machine. Its all a trick to panic the foreigner when he sees a dirty needle coming towards his arm. They quickly settle for 50-100 dollars to get out of the predicament. USA embassy was well aware of these abuses by cops so they put pressure on moscow to bring in american citizens to the embassy's doctor for blood analysis rather than performing on the street by incompetent cops. This was the new rule in effect at the time for americans and I knew it.
Now these cops intimidate you by coming closer to you while talking and actually letting the barrel of the AK47 assult rifle touching your chest. Many foreigners simply get scared and pay up but I knew the law so I told him that I was not going anywhere with him except the embassy. He kept insisting that he would perform the blood test himself but I kept telling him that I will only go to the embassy's doctor because I am an american citizen and I have the right to see my doctor. After a few minutes of bickering, he simply gave up and told me to leave.
So you see, there is always a way out. If you think you are really in a jam with these cops ex: red light offense etc, please don't pay 50 dollars. Try to pay50 pesos if you are being generous. If your dominican friends let you pay 50 dollars, they are not your friends at all.
Better luck next time.
regards,
AZB
Again, I agree with all you said. 2 agrees in a row, what's wrong here?. Nice explanation and stories.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
sococarolyn said:
Hi, thanks for your reply re the cops, but I have to tell you guys - our Dominican friends paid the bill, not us. One of the guys is Dominican but lives in the States now and the other guy lives in Boca Chica, so no - they didn't see us coming like some replies have suggested. And even though I insisted, they wouldn't even take a contribution to the fine from us. They did put up a long argument with the police and I know Miguel has some friends in the police over there, so maybe he should have called them, I don't know. This thread was more of a query should we be stopped on our own. And it is intimidating when you are a foreigner in the country and you get stopped by Police that you know for a fact are corrupt. But I have plenty of advice to play with, so if it happens again, I am sure we can have some fun. The unfortunate thing is my husband doesn't speak Spanish and would probably end up decking the guy, which though it would show he is not a"'wuss', it probably wouldn't do us a lot of good! Thanks for all the advice. Wonder if it would help if I told them I worked for the police in England?????
Quote from you: " they did put a long argument with the police and I know Miguel has some friends in the police over there, so maybe he should have called them, I don't know". Care to elavorate?.