Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nationwide strike????

I am planning on going down to Santiago next week on the 27th but a friend just told me of a national strike planned for the 27th-28th, Does anyone know of this or is my friends advise off base?
    Badpiece

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know, too. I saw it mentioned in a post on this board within past couple of days, but that is the only thing I have heard about a possible strike on the 27-28th.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So far there's a big STRIKE taking place! more to come! keep it lock.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Just asked a Sosua taxi driver if there was a strike scheduled for 28th and 29th and he said "no".

That doesn't mean there won't be, but nobody I have asked in Sosua has heard of it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is, and people are expecting it to be very big.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OK will it be dangerous to be out on the roads during this strike?
    I usually have a car that I rent so i was wondering will i be OK driving between Santiago and Puerto Plata?
    Badpiece

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a major, nationwide strike, it is not advisable to be driving on the highway. I don't know that area so don't know whether you would have to pass through demonstrations or not, but generally it is not advisable. I wouldn't even trying to drive from Sosua to Puerto Plata because I know there are areas you'd pass through that take a strike seriously.

Caribe Tours and Metro buses don't run during a serious strike for fear of damage.

I'm not yet convinced there will be one, but there is no question the people have a lot of things to strike about.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Not So Fast!!!!

Remember the last "Nation Wide Strike?? I went to work in Santo Domingo all 3 days!! It was basically "NADA"!You never know until the actual day of the strike,whether or not it will be a big deal! Most Dominicans use "Strikes" as a way to stay home and play dominos!Since they have no idea that each day of a National Strike hurts to Country's economy even more!! CCCCCCC

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Was in La Vega today. Asked a couple of people if they knew about a strike on 28th and 29th. One said that they had heard something but was vague about where. In any event, it was not a hot topic among the few people I spoke with. The driver of the car, a Domincian, knew nothing about any strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Strike

It is supposed to be the 28th and 29th. How much energy it generates will depend on how pi$$ed off people are by that time.

If the discontent is fanned by activists, then it might get sticky in the traditional hotspots: Capotillo, Licey al Medio, Navarete, Camboya....

Wait for a while.

Badpiece? You can always bunk here at the hovel...

HB

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast