Nationwide strike????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd like to know, too. I saw it mentioned in a post on this board within past couple of days, but that is the only thing I have heard about a possible strike on the 27-28th.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting. Just asked a Sosua taxi driver if there was a strike scheduled for 28th and 29th and he said "no".

That doesn't mean there won't be, but nobody I have asked in Sosua has heard of it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If there is a major, nationwide strike, it is not advisable to be driving on the highway. I don't know that area so don't know whether you would have to pass through demonstrations or not, but generally it is not advisable. I wouldn't even trying to drive from Sosua to Puerto Plata because I know there are areas you'd pass through that take a strike seriously.

Caribe Tours and Metro buses don't run during a serious strike for fear of damage.

I'm not yet convinced there will be one, but there is no question the people have a lot of things to strike about.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not So Fast!!!!

Remember the last "Nation Wide Strike?? I went to work in Santo Domingo all 3 days!! It was basically "NADA"!You never know until the actual day of the strike,whether or not it will be a big deal! Most Dominicans use "Strikes" as a way to stay home and play dominos!Since they have no idea that each day of a National Strike hurts to Country's economy even more!! CCCCCCC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Was in La Vega today. Asked a couple of people if they knew about a strike on 28th and 29th. One said that they had heard something but was vague about where. In any event, it was not a hot topic among the few people I spoke with. The driver of the car, a Domincian, knew nothing about any strike.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Strike

It is supposed to be the 28th and 29th. How much energy it generates will depend on how pi$$ed off people are by that time.

If the discontent is fanned by activists, then it might get sticky in the traditional hotspots: Capotillo, Licey al Medio, Navarete, Camboya....

Wait for a while.

Badpiece? You can always bunk here at the hovel...

HB

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Strike delayed??

I was recently told that the strike may be delayed due to the baseball finals. Anyone got any more on that, I just booked my flight to arrive Feb 2 and do not want to get stranded at the airport during a strike.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The strike is set for Weds. and Thursday next week.

I've talked to several people from Santo Domingo who will be leaving the city Tuesday night for "safer" areas as they know that there is no telling what may take place in the city.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Stay Put

If I was you my friend I would stay close to your Hotel Wed & Thurs. until it all blows over, you would not want to be used for target practice between Santiago and Puerto Plata.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
badpiece33 said:
What I was planning on doing was spending Tuesday in Santiago and travelling to Puerto plata early in morning 6:30 or 7am Wed. Do you think I better go to Puerto plata direct on Tuesday and go back to Santiago on weekend.
Badpiece

Yes..............Puerto Plata as a rule will not see to much action during a national strike and you should be safe in and around town, Santiago on the other hand will most likely be a very good city to stay as far away from as posible during the strike.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Gringo. To be safe, go to Santiago on Tuesday. Chances are good you would run into at least one demonstration on Wednesday. Rock throwing at vehicles is common.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was talking to a cab driver tonight in Santo Domingo. He said they stay away from the barrios. But here in the city he didn't expect many problemos. In my opinion...I eould stay close to home or in my hotel area...better safe than sorry

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
There's going to be a (MARCHA) (a RALLY) by the PLD Party right before the (STRIKE) a very bad combination is like someone said on dr1 (IS LIKE PUTTING OUT THE Fire WITH GASOLINE) expect a huge turn out a huge (STRIKE) since the (RALLY) is taking place one day before HELL BRAKE Loose. I hope people are seeing the terrible expressions in the DOMINICAN POPULATION faces.
MORE TO COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!