passport? Jacktar Village?

crispycritter

Jan 19, 2004
My new hubby and I are visited DR in 8 weeks. We were told by our travel agent, we did not need a passport and that a birth cert. and drivers license would do. BUT, I've read on the gov't website and some of the posts that we would have no trouble entering the DR, but would have to purchase a passport from the Santa Domingo US Embassy before departing. Any one know of any details? We are kind of in a pinch to get passports in time.

Also, we are staying at the Jacktar 3/16 - 3/23. Anyone stayed there before? Care to share your experience? Anyone booked to be there the week we are?

Anyone done the Pub Crawl? We have checked out the website and would love to hear of others who have gone and their experience. We are in our 30's and still love to party!
:cool:

Passport

Where are you travelling from is the first question? If canada or the USA all you need is a birth certificate and drivers permit with picture i.d.
You will have to buy a Dominican Republic tourist card $10US upon entry at the airport if it is not provided by your tour agency, fill it out and turn it in, retain the bottom half for exit and pay $20US departure tax when leaving.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I stayed in the Jack Tar for my honeymoon (but that was in 1998). We really enjoyed it. We have stayed in other 4 star hotels in the resort aswell and they have all been just as good (in our opinion).

Are you talking about the bar crawl organised by Cafe Cito? If so, check out the thread named - Cafe Cito. I asked the same question about a week or so ago and got plenty of replies from people recommending it!

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
You're much better off with a passport. If you have 8 weeks, you have enough time to get a passport. You may only need a birth certificate if you're flying from US and are a US citizen.

I remember being told by my travel agent (back in 1985) that I could travel with my husband to Mexico with only a birth certificate. Well, my husband was not a US citizen at the time and when we got to the airport they would not let him through customs. Travel agent's advise did us no good..

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
This is what happened....

On December 27th, I was in line at the airport counter waiting to check in with Air Canada. A couple in front of me were having problems. They were trying to check in on the same flight (Toronto to Puerto Plata) and using only a birth certificate and a driver's licence. No problem with the husbands ID but they refused to check in the wife. Apparently, they questioned the "validity of her birth certificate" because it slightly older and worn at the edges. Air Canada told her that they do not have to accept her ID and that if she really wanted to travel, she would have to find a someone to notarize her birth certificate. This is less than 2 hours from the flight. Well, luckily for her, our flight was delayed by almost an hour because by the time she found someone in the airport to do this for her, she would not have made it to the gate on time. She was very upset and out of $50 CDN too. Her and her husband were the last ones to board the plane.

Get a passport......

Maryanne