A bunch of questions

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
I know you guys are tired of answering these questions so a simple yes or no will be suffice. I am planning on spending a few months in the DR to explore the possibility of moving there and would like to know a few things in advance. I do not plan on applying for citizenship.

1) Can I drive in the DR
2) Can I own a car in the DR
3) Is real estate insurance expensive or even possible
4) can I own a business
5) Is there a safe bank to invest money in the DR that I can
earn 10-15%

I have alot of questions but those are the one's I have on my mind at this time.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
1) yes. Your driving licence is valid for the first 3 months in the DR, after that you need to get a Dominican driver licence

2) yes

3) yes and yes

4) yes

5) yes, ...safe? probably no. I leave this one for the experts...

quaqualita

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola tngold!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 5,724, Threads: 27,046, Posts: 174,717

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

A Good Place to Start.
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

With Topics Like.....
MEDICAL / MONEY / ADVICE
MOVING TO THE DR
* WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.*
*ENGLISH / SPANISH PHRASE GUIDE.*
And more!!!!

tngold, don't forget to check out the page 2 link on moving.

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Tngold, can you tell us a little about what/how/why, your coming here?????

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
#5 No

tngold said:

5) Is there a safe bank to invest money in the DR that I can
earn 10-15%

I have alot of questions but those are the one's I have on my mind at this time.

Not right now. Pesos (on which you can get 36+% a year right now) are next door to worthless to accumulate and I would not put much US$ in a bank on the risk you can't get US$ out when you want due to the bank rules, the government rules or the lack of US$. Or you get it back in pesos and maybe at some artificial rate. Keep it offshore - access via ATM,etc.

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
ref timex

Sure I want to explore the possibility of moving to the DR for several reasons. The first one being that I vacationed there last Feb and loved it. I am 41 and have fairly recently gone through a divorce and just want to get away from american life at least for a while. I just feel like I am not living here but just existing. I know that is my fault but I just feel like a change of scenery is needed. I do not expect a picnic and understand the living there is far different then simply staying a week at the A-I resort and that's why I plan on coming down for a couple month's before I make the full commitment. I hate the cold winters here more then anything and want to live in a tropical climate. I know it is extremely hot there but I can always take the heat but not the cold. Honestly and this may be a bad reason but I have had it up to here with American women and I am looking forward to meeting and dating some Dominican women. I am a good looking guy and have no trouble getting dates here but I always feel like I am walking on eggshells and everyone is getting more and more materialistic every day. I am not rich but I just can't imagine working 20 more years before I do something with my life. If I even make it that long I will be to old to enjoy it. I have saved some money and if I can just find something to do there to make a little extra money then I should be just fine finacially. I just sold my house here in the states and I am interested in buying a condo on the north coast because even if I don't make the full time move I would like to spend a good deal of time there. I just have so many questions. I will be in the DR from feb 11-18 and would love to meet a few people off this site that have made the move. Thanks for listening........

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The person you want to talk with re investment is Escott. He is the resident expert.