READ ABOUT your culture, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

noell77

Jan 19, 2004
I agree w/ Vainqueur_Noir totally. If more people would actually read about their culture, they would know that many political leaders in DR especially in the 1970's-80's , made a conscious effort to get Dominicans to stop acknowledging their African roots and base their culture on Spaniards. and evidently it worked. NEWS flash, Santo DOMingo was the first country to get african slaves, and US was one of the last. SO we are all black.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there own definition of their ethnicity, and yes in a lot of ways black americans and black dominicans are different, but in superficial ways, languages and music maybe, but our struggles and ethnic background is the same ( white, indian and black mixed). Just remember that if us latinos and caribbeans came to this country 30-50 yrs ago, they would have been exposed to the same injustices, poverty and brutality that African _americans were exposed to. JUst remember that the next time you get offended for being called black.

JenniferDiaz

Jan 31, 2003
Limited vision.

I can see that you look at every thing in turns of Black or White.

As a latin country we are a mixture of colors and races, not the way you want to put it.

You should start seeing more and reading less. You have a limited vision of the world.

noell77

Jan 19, 2004
Re: Limited vision.

JenniferDiaz said:
I can see that you look at every thing in turns of Black or White.

As a latin country we are a mixture of colors and races, not the way you want to put it.

You should start seeing more and reading less. You have a limited vision of the world.

Actually my family ( all grand-parents) are mulatto, I just choose to not ignore the obvious. Here in America, which where I live, race is a reality. I 've had the N- --- word placed on walls and skin heads come and chase Blacks and Latinos. Reading is good, it's taught me not to just identify myself a Spaniard ( which is European) when my skin is brown:confused:

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
BTW America is not just USA, DR is also America, just for the record.

The problem is you want to put a label of Black and White just based if you have African heritage or not. The point is that Latin American people is a mixture, Europeans, Africans and Natives of the land.

I'm not brown in color, but I know I have African blood somewhere as also Taina and Spaniard. Like my grandma says, "Todo el mundo tiene el negro tras de la oreja". My sister is brown in color but I don't like the term black for her, she is more than that, I prefer Latin, Hispanic, Dominicana because it reflects the mixture of culture that she and I have.

Just my point of view,

Johanna

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Because America is the entire continent and no only the United States of America, that means that DR, Cuba, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, Per?, etc. all of them are also America.

I don't know why the term America is only for USA??, that is something that always get in my nerves.

You can imagine the first country discover in America is DR, first catedral, first University, etc. So I'm entitle to call myself American if I want to and said that I live in America also, which is true.

Johy ;)

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Mrmike. im sorry but that was very i mean very ignorant of you!

another thing why we even bother with people that pop up with ridiculous asuptions, first of all take a trip down here then talk.

have a great day!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Please...

Could the OP help out by clarifying which thread s/he intended to reply to? Otherwise it makes no sense.

Chiri

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have heard this crap alot, and it's just that, crap. The DR is an island, that means it's not part of ANY continent.

The US of A is the only country in the world with the word "America" in it's name.

To try to say that Dominicans are Americans because the closest continent to your little island is North America is rediculous. Common, but rediculous.

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
The term "America"

Johy,

"I don't know why the term America is only for USA??, that is something that always get in my nerves. "

Its just a name, not intended to insult anyone or leave anyone out! Its easier to say it than saying United States of America.

How then, would one refer to people from USA. If you are a Spanish speaker, you might call me "Estado Unidense" but we don't have that form in English so we refer to ourselves as "American" although yes, the Mexicans, Canadians, Colombians, Hondurans, etc. are Americans too - if one means North, v.s. Central, v.s. South America.

DR is not considered part of North or South America. Neither is Cuba, PR or any of the Caribbean islands.

Here in the U.S., I think the real issues between "whites" and "blacks" are not race/skin color issues but rather, they are cultural. Everyone here seems to miss this point. Because of the institution of slavery and misguided whites who believed blacks to be inferior, "blacks" were isolated from whites and thus developed a way of speaking/living different from the white majority. So now, we have "culture" clashes just like other countries do. For example, I am "white" but have a Haitian living on the left and a Jamacian living on the right side of my house. I have a much easier time getting along with and relating to the Jamacan man. Its a cultural-commonality v.s. culture-clash thing you see.

Is the same thing seen in the DR? People aligned with a Spanish-based culture v.s. an African one?

noell77 is quite right to say we should all read more and be aware of what has happened and what is happening now.

minerran.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
United States is also pretty general and alot of other countries would fall under that phrase, including "Los Estados Unidos Mexicanos".

Everyone knows what you mean when you say "American" but "North American" obviously refers to a continent with 3 different countries, Even though the term "North American" is being pushed very hard on the world by the same Nazis of Political Correctness who would also like us to spell "women" with a "Y" and have eliminated the word "salesman" and "caretaker".

The brits will call us "Yanks" regardless, and latins will call us "Gringos" whenever they think we aren't listening even if they do insist on us calling ourselves North Americans and on calling themselves "Americans".

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
MrMike and minerran, please grab a history and geography book. If DR and Jamaica isn't part of America why are we members of OAS (Organization of American States)???

MrMike the US of A as you refer to it, is the only country that have the word America in its name, just demonstrate the lack of imagination at the moment to put a name to your country and also very egocentric to think you were the only ones in the continent.

Yes I know is very common use, I live with that, but when someone came and said NEWS flash, Santo DOMingo was the first country to get african slaves and then said she lives in America, I just can't be like nothing happen, first of all as someone already stated Santo Domingo is not a country and America is not just USA.

Since that is not the topic of the thread I will leave it there.

Minerran, she was referring to DR in her first post, and we don't share the history of black vs white as USA have it, we are different and that is what I meant in my first post, we are a mix of everything in DR and our culture shows that, the only racism that dominicans have I think is towards people from Haiti and that also came from the time they occupied us, remember the DR independence is from Haiti not Spain.

You should see me and my sister, people said that we don't look alike in anything, and a lot of family are like that, the mixture is evident in every aspect of a Dominican life.

Johy

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I have a geography book, and it clearly states that islands are not parts of continents.

I don't know why Jamaica and the DR are part of the Organization of American States, since they don't have states AND they are very disorganized...... (wow, 3 strikes - somebody screwed up there)

I guess it's like the way you can't buy a garage at a garage sale and even though NAFTA is 10 years old they're still not giving stuff away for free.

If you think the name USA lacks imagination what would you say about South America? (Maybe it just sounds better than "Cocainia")

OK the above is pure sarcasm in case anybody can't tell, but seriously I think it is in everybody's best interest if Dominicans who want to be Americans complete their naturalization process legally rather than expanding the term to the point where it loses all meaning. The former process is beneficial to everybody involved, the latter is just stupid.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
blacks as we know it and Dominicans whther dark skinned or not are two different things.

to say that it comes down to the same thing is to cut each other ethnic background short.

it would be helpful to realize that our culture comes in all colors.

I have notices that many people have this perception that all dominicans are black.

I have heard it so many times. People ahve asked me : where are from? I saw "American"

so they say yeah but what ethnic background

I say Dominican

they respond:

"You're Dominican? you don't look dominican."

so I say " what does a Dominican look like?" duh, end of stupid ignorant conversation

It is hard to tell where people come from nowadays. I see a person and they can be anything from dominican to pakistan...there are too many mixes

A co worker asks me what part of Italy I am from. I tell her from the north and not to speak to me so much because she is from sicily...lol

Do many Dominicans prefer to hide thier African roots? yes they do. is that wrong...maybe..to each his own

should they think they are african..nope!!! thats not what they are no matter what anyone tries to say

the culture was adapted by the mixing of other cultures but it is still its own.

You think "white americans" are racists.

please visit santiago and see how things are

I don't know how AZB has not been deported back to Atlanta...lol

j/k

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
Johy said:
Minerran, she was referring to DR in her first post, and we don't share the history of black vs white as USA have it, we are different and that is what I meant in my first post, we are a mix of everything in DR and our culture shows that, the only racism that dominicans have I think is towards people from Haiti and that also came from the time they occupied us, remember the DR independence is from Haiti not Spain.

Johanna,

Of coarse I know she was referring to the DR. I only mentioned USA to see if she saw any similarities in the DR on this issue of racism. I am aware of your general history, the fact that it's different from that of the U.S., and that many mixtures can be found in the DR. Still, based on human nature and psychology, I would find it hard to believe that there is no racism or cultural clashes at all. How are people of Taino decent treated? I am asking questions not to disagree (Since you're Dominican then you know far better than me about what goes on there), but to learn.

Oh, please don't be offended about whether or not someone considers DR a part of N. America. This is really an issue of geology, nothing more. Enough said.

minerran

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
From what I can tell as a white guy, most of the racism in the DR seems to be economic, and a desire to distance themselves from Haitians (which may be more or less the same thing)

All of the "Old Money" elite families are white, being descended form Europeans and so Dominicans tend to equate being white with having money.

My wife is a black Dominican, and her last (maiden) name is French. I know this because if you type it into a search engine, out pop all these french results. So obviously her ancestors are Haitian. Her whole family is in denial about this and claim that the "secret" of their last name's REAL spelling and procunciation was lost when her great grandmother announced that the next day she would tell them the story of their name and where it's from and how it's REALLY spelt, but then died during the night.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
MrMike said:
Her whole family is in denial about this and claim that the "secret" of their last name's REAL spelling and procunciation was lost when her great grandmother announced that the next day she would tell them the story of their name and where it's from and how it's REALLY spelt, but then died during the night.

sounds like someone made tha story up in order to hide the Haitian in their name.

wow

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Yes, if you read your history books, there certainly WAS a country named Santo Domingo. That's what the Europeans called this place until recent history. When part of what is now recognized as the Dominican Republic was under French control it was called "Saint Domingue". Go back and read your history. There was no place called the Dominican Republic until later. Don't try to obscure the point with things like this, when you don't have a clue about the real issue being discussed.

As far as racism, please consider this. Most people who talk in terms of "black" or "white" here are either Americans, or people who live or have lived in the USA, and got their heads screwed up. There are many racists there, both white AND black.

Most people in the Caribbean (not just in the D.R.) recognize the fact that most people born in this region are one shade or another of BROWN. There are no purebreeds here whose families have been here more than 200 years. Someone along the way decided they liked someone else who was "different " than their family, and did something just to make themselves happy. (just as Strom Thurmond did).

As far as Dominican racist attitudes towards Haitians, consider this. When Haiti was fighting for their independence in the 1800's , one of their major goals was to drive out the whites, and be a freed slave nation. They can reap what they sowed then. Nuf said.

Status
Not open for further replies.