la romana to puerto plata

LAURIES

Jan 20, 2004
Hi Everyone, first time on this board!

My fiance and I are going to DR at the end of March for our honeymoon. We have some crazy destinations.

We land at Santo Domingo Airport and then we are stayin in La Romana. The next destination is Puerta Plata and then back to the Sto Domingo Arpt...

Does anyone know how to get from one place to another? The time and distance involved?

Thank you so much!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you can afford a taxi, use a taxi

LAURIES said:
Hi Everyone, first time on this board!

My fiance and I are going to DR at the end of March for our honeymoon. We have some crazy destinations.

We land at Santo Domingo Airport and then we are stayin in La Romana. The next destination is Puerta Plata and then back to the Sto Domingo Arpt...

Does anyone know how to get from one place to another? The time and distance involved?

Thank you so much!

You can take a taxi to Santo Domingo proper and then the Metro or Caribe buses to Puerto Plata ( note correct spelling) or a taxi all the way from LR to PP. (If you are really poor you can take a series of guaguas from LR to SD and then the Metro or Caribe bus to PP).

To hire a driver to take you all the way from LR to PP and prepare to pay I'd think at least $200 or so. The rates from Boca Chica are $70 to LR and $170 to PP. $240 total . I would think for under $200 it is reasonable to hire a car. Since one trip from LR to PP should not cost as much as the sum of two trips with Boca Chica as the middle point.

It's about 2 to 2 1/2 hours LR to SD and I guess about 3 to 4 more in a car to PP roughly.

On arrival at SDQ airport, I guess you also have to pay the $80 or so to get from SDQ airport to LR unless you are on a package. You could have flown into LR so you have a number of trips to and fro as a result of using SDQ as your airport. Of course on the retrun leg from PP to the airport you should save the fare between the airport and LR, so that's a help.

I would make sure on arrival in PP you work on finding a reliable driver to take you back to the airport in SD and not wait until the last minute, though at least you can get to the capital on the bus and then a cab to the airport is not that bad a deal.

How's your Spanish?

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Lauries

Depending on how much time you have and how adventurous you are, you can also travel from La Romana via Samana to Puerto Plata. It will be longer but you will have a lot more sightseeing especially since you will travel part by ferry. Bus from La Romana to San Pedro de Marcoris, bus from san Pedro de Marcoris to Sabana de la Mar, here the ferry to Samana and then the bus to Puerto Plata. Your way back to Santo Domingo with Caribe- or Metro-bus via Santiago.

CB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
\Folks need geography lessons

Anyway, you plans are stupid. Like if you land in NYC, Go to Boston, then back to NYC then to Philly??? WTF??

Look, be smart. Fly into La Romana first off. Then if you want to or just have to get to Puerto Plata, book your return from Puerto Plata.

Then you can have some wonderful options. You can go from La Romana North to Higuey and Sabana de la Mar, cross over the Saman? Bay in a ferryboat, enjoy a day or two there and then a direct Caribe Tour bus from Samana To Puerto Plata.

If you have economic constraints that preclude this flexibility, then you will be spending a lot of time on buses and not in the honeymoon suite...

La Romana to Santo Domingo is a direct bus trip, sheap as dirt.

From the La Romana bus stop take a taxi to Caribe Toru or Metro and get a direct bus to POP. this will be pretty much an all day affair, and you don't get to see Jack.

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: \Folks need geography lessons

Hillbilly said:
Anyway, you plans are stupid. Like if you land in NYC, Go to Boston, then back to NYC then to Philly??? WTF??

Look, be smart. Fly into La Romana first off. Then if you want to or just have to get to Puerto Plata, book your return from Puerto Plata.HB

Bet you it's a charter and not AA.