Banks aaahhrrgg!!!

AliJay

Jan 21, 2004
Is anyone aware of how much DR banks generally charge on ATM withdrawals when using UK bank card.

I have checked the archives found some useful info regarding canadian accounts, but that was from 2002.

Are there any brits who have visited/moved/living and withdrawing money from a UK bank account via a DR ATM

I have tried to get some info out of my account holding bank here but they are less than helpful, ie complete useless!! (can't even give me an exchange rate wots that all about?)

Any general info on what sort of charges are common would be helpful.

We are visiting cabarete/sosua area in Feb and I am trying to work out the cheapest way of taking money (apart from bulging pockets full of dollar dollar)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't use ATMs as your sole source of money as there is a slight risk the machine will retain the card, and they are not always 100% reliable.

It is advisable to use the ATM when the bank is open so that they can retrieve it for you.

On one occasion I got a slip saying it could not authorise the transaction, but the amount I requested (GBP100) was debited anyway. Unusually for me, I had held on to the slip, was able to prove that I had not withdrawn the money, and got a full refund.

Take some US dollars as an alternative source, or US$ travellers cheques - not sterling.

Having said that, even when you use an ATM, the current exchange rates favour sterling: the US dollar is weak against the pound ($1.80) and the peso is very weak against the dollar (RD$50).

A small bank charge (I think it is 6%) still leaves you with a good rate, IMO.

Chiri

loosehead

Jan 17, 2004
Money

I also will be in Sosua in Feb. I will be carrying US$ on my person as well as a bank card.I have used a bank card at ATM's in Mexico for years and have never had a problem.Now Mex. is not the DR but I suspect there is not much difference. Several friends who have been in Sosua lately have had no problems at all with ATM's there.
One poster suggested that you only use the ATM during business hours at the bank.I think that is a good idea.
I hope to be in Rocky's late afternoon Feb.10(my first day).Maybe I'll see you there.
John

loosehead

Jan 17, 2004
bank card

I reread your posting re:bank card and ATM's in the DR and I realized that I responded to you as the Canadian that I am. Check your bank card and I bet you'll see the words INTERAC,CIRRUS and MAESTRO among others on the back. If that is the case you should have no problem in Sosua. Hope this helps.
John

AliJay

Jan 21, 2004
Thanks John

I am sure the card will work in ATMs ok as they are visa etc. The point on the archives was the charges and terrible rates. I think I will definately take more dollars with us than we usually do.

Will try and frequent a few of the bars mentioned on the forum as we may be moving to DR at some point. Got kids in tow though so we will have to see how it goes.

cheers!

Ali

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Agree with you there

Escott said:
Use AmEx travelers checks and forget the atms and cash imho.

Scott

Take SOME cash for the taxi and safe/security deposit if applicable, maybe US$100 and Amex (not Visa) traveller's cheques and a photocopy ( colour is best) of the ID page of your passport which is adequate for most cambios, and is FAR better than carrying your actual passport around with you - it should stay in the safe. ALWAYS use/pay for if necessary, the safe in the room.