I can't wait to hit the DR

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
I am sitting here at my desk in the states thinking about the Dominican Republic. I have only been down once but I haven't been able to get it off my mind since. There is not a day goes by that I do not catch myself thinking about moving there. I will be down feb 11-18 and cannot wait. I know the USA is a great place to live but I want to be "truely" free and away from the shackles of the most materialistic society on earth. I honestly have no idea why I am so enamored with the DR I just know that when I was down last year it struck me as a magical place with great weather and beautiful women.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well, the 2nd Most.....

I want to be "truely" [sic] free and away from the shackles of the most materialistic society on earth. .... it struck me as a magical place with great weather and beautiful women. [/B]

If you were in the DR last year and met the women (any at all) then you know the US is not the MOST materialistic society on earth.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Tngold!!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 5,770, Threads: 27,124, Posts: 175,263

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

A Good Place to Start.
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

With Topics Like.....
MEDICAL / MONEY / ADVICE
MOVING TO THE DR
* WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.*
*ENGLISH / SPANISH PHRASE GUIDE.*
And more!!!!

Tngold, don't forget to check out the page 2 link on moving.

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Generilizing a bit?

Rick, dont generalize like that. Not everyone is the same. That goes for both the US and the comment on the Dominican Women...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
tngold said:
I am sitting here at my desk in the states thinking about the Dominican Republic. I have only been down once but I haven't been able to get it off my mind since. There is not a day goes by that I do not catch myself thinking about moving there. I will be down feb 11-18 and cannot wait. I know the USA is a great place to live but I want to be "truely" free and away from the shackles of the most materialistic society on earth. I honestly have no idea why I am so enamored with the DR I just know that when I was down last year it struck me as a magical place with great weather and beautiful women.
Listen buddy, just go, have fun and if you really want to move there some day, plan wayyyy ahead of time. If you have a good plan and a good head on your shoulder, you can make it. Most on this site will try to talk you out of moving there but you know what, some of them live there and they are making it somehow. So go, see the island, look at the women, have fun, spend some dollars and do all you want to do. If someday you want to move there, go right ahead. I will not try to discorage you because, as you said, "you think about moving there" as in the future. But keep in mind that moving there would be something that you need to plan. Other than that, have a presidente for me and have fun!!!!!!!!!.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Generilizing [sic] a bit?

Talldrink said:
Rick, dont generalize like that. Not everyone is the same. That goes for both the US and the comment on the Dominican Women...

a) it's (was) an ironic joke, right?
b) he was generalizing about the USA

Don't get so offended.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Re: I can't wait to hit the DR

miguel said:
Listen buddy, just go, have fun and if you really want to move there some day, plan wayyyy ahead of time. If you have a good plan and a good head on your shoulder, you can make it. Most on this site will try to talk you out of moving there but you know what, some of them live there and they are making it somehow.

You are very wrong, Miguel, that "most on this site will try to talk you out of moving there." The only people we discourage are those who say something like "I just decided I want to live in the DR and will be coming down next week." As you have very correctly advised tngold, to make a successful transition it takes a lot of advance thought and planning, including time spent visiting the DR before making the final decision to move.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Reply to Rick

Rick, the only reason why I got offended is that I've read those comments way too many times here and after a while, it gets old.

Nothing personal...

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
Didn't mean to start a fight

Chill out guys. I guess you could say I generalized about the the USA but I did say "society" as opposed to "everyone". I met several women in the DR and I wouldn't call the ones I met materialistic. There is a huge difference in a women in the US not giving you the time of day because you don't drive a mercedes or lexus and what I saw from the women in the DR. My purpose was not to dis anyone but the truth is American is all about who has this biggest, best, most expensive. I really have no room to talk since I have been living the same way myself. I had always assumed that it took money to make you happy but when I visited the Dr last year I met so many people that are considered poor by most standards but seemed very happy. I am sure they would rather have more money but they were happy none the less. I on the other hand have plenty of money but I am miserable just trying to keep up. I do understand the need to do my homework and have a good idea of exactly what I am getting into before I commit to moving to the DR and I will do that beginning feb 11.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
TnGold and anyone else reading this, I am in no way shape or form upset or fighting.

I understand both points, both what was said about the DR women and living in the USA.

I am a dominican woman who lives in the US. so I understand completely what you are saying.

Regardless of where you live, if your mindset is to live by what society dictates, then you will forever be a slave to that. There is materialism everywhere you go in the world.

TNGold, I dont know how long you know the women you are talking about - it sounds like only a few hours. But it will take you much longer to find a good woman (anywhere in any place) that doesnt just see someone who is there part time and she is not herself. It takes time to find one that is not thinking of what she can get out of you, but will care enough to look out for both of you and not just for self. that goes for US and DR.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Off the topic

You know what, I'm guilty for bringing this thread off topic. Im sorry.

Mr. Gold - Enjoy yourself when you finally hit the DR. Wish I was going with you!

:cool:

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
ref: talldrink

Hello I am sorry I called you a guy (chill out guys). You make some excellent points. I guess the bottom line is I can't wait to spend some more time in the DR and soak up some tropical sun and meet some more of the locals. Isn't it ironic that it seems so many people that live there want out and so many people that don't live there want in? I guess it partly human nature and my guess is that most gringos that move there are only able to do it because they have a nice nestegg to live off of. I personally am at a stage of my life where I need a change and I think and hope that the DR will be just what I am looking for. Time will tell I guess.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I read on another post that it is part of the Dominican Culture to want to leave all to just come right back (or something to that effect, some sort of study was done and it was psychological (?))

I guess is true, my mom came to the US, lived, worked and saved her little dollars and now is back there. She has been back for almost 8 years now. Most Doms that leave the US to go back, normally relocate back and forth about 2 or 3 times every few years in their lifetimes. I have about 10 fine examples in my family alone.

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
reference: timex

Please explain what is so far off the thread. I have reread and see nothing that is not sticking to the thread. Maybe I am missing something. lmk thanks