Residency Yes Or No

HAPPYDUDE

Jan 16, 2004
AFTER I RETIRE AND MOVE TO THE D.R.,SHOULD I GET D.R. RESIDENCY OR JUST LIVE UNDER THE RADAR. WHATS YOUR OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT. IF YOU KNOW HOW MUCH RESIDENCY COSTS PLEASE POST IT. THANKS :cool:
ARE MOST OF YOU GUYS RESIDENTS?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola HAPPYDUDE!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 5,776, Threads: 27,132, Posts: 175,322

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

A Good Place to Start.
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

With Topics Like.....
MEDICAL / MONEY / ADVICE
MOVING TO THE DR
* WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.*
*ENGLISH / SPANISH PHRASE GUIDE.*
And more!!!!

HAPPYDUDE, don't forget to check out the page 2 link on moving, and do a search of the LEGAL FORUM, to see the 1000's of post's on RESIDENCY!!!!

Click on the link below, to see the search results! I did it for you.:cool:
RESIDENCY, search reults..

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
get residency if you want to:

own a gun
hold a job
conduct complicated business transactions

Don't bother if you're just sippin' coctails on the beach.

Most of us who didn't have residency wished we did at one point or another.

HAPPYDUDE

Jan 16, 2004
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. WILL I NEED A GUN AND CAN I IMPORT THE GUNS I ALREADY OWN. AND IS IT HARD TO GET A DRIVERS LIC. ONCE I MOVE THERE. I KNOW I'LL MAKE SOME MISTAKES BUT I'D RATHER LESSEN THE PAIN. WHILE I'M STILL HERE IN THE ICE BELT, I'M DREAMING OF THE SUN BELT. ICE AND SNOW ALL DAY, CAN'T WAIT TO RETIRE. I APPRICIATE YOUR ADVICE. :classic:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I am not an expert on the gun thing, but I am pretty sure you are better off buying one here, it will be more expensive but gun dealers will help you get the permission so they can close the sale, also there are restrictions on certain guns regarding magazine capacity and caliber (I believe for handguns it's nothing bigger than 9mm - so leave the Desert Eagle at home)

Also importing guns means you have to deal with customs, and importing simple things like t-shirts and shampoo is more of a hassle than most of us can stand, so importing a gun collection is probably just plain impossible.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have lived here since 1986 without a gun. But then I haven't lived in areas where I felt it was necessary.

If you decide you need one, then buy it here. If you really want to know whether you can legally import a gun, post this question in the legal section so that an attorney can answer it.

Regarding residency, if you are retiring here and will be owning property, I'd recommend getting your residency. See this for info http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesimm.html

It is from the website of Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in the legal section.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you plan to drive here and for longer than 90 days, I suggest you get residency. This way you can get yourself a Dominican driving license.

If you have an accident and you have an overseas license they will want to look at the entry stamp in your passport when you file the police report.

If it's more than 90 days old, you now have a problem.
A problem that may get you thrown in jail or cost you many more US$ than you can afford.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
To be or not to be....

This question comes up a lot. Unless you absolutely need it (property etc.) I wouldn't bother. The driving thing is easy for me because I end up leaving every ninety days or so anyway. (And Robert is right...they DO check your passport for your last entry stamp.....when I had my accident they checked 3 different times).

Here's another solution, AAA International Permit, recognized in a few hundred countries. I asked an AMET cop I know about it and he said that you would never get hassled with it. Then again he could be wrong. In that case I'd still rather pay $10 compared to a few thousand. I also try to stay off as many "lists" as possible.....we're all on enough. This includes the embassy. Famous last words heard........"I'm from the Government and I'm here to help."

Just my 2 cents from under the radar,

here's the link to AAA, you can order it from here by sending the aplication, a copy of your U.S. liscense and a few pictures.

http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html

Scandall

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
That does present an interesting position. As far as I know, there is no way to reliably get a residency in under 90 days. I suppose to stay legal, you would have to take a vacation in Puerto Rico every 90 days.

HAPPYDUDE

Jan 16, 2004
I JUST READ A POSTING WERE SOMEONE SAID YOU SHOULD NOT IMPORT YOUR CAR OR TRUCK FROM THE STATES. WHY NOT? I WANT TO BRING MY ALREADY PAID OFF CAR AND TRUCK OVER. IS THERE A PROBLEM WAITING FOR ME AT THE DOCK OR IS THE TAX TO HIGH. WHAT GIVE? :glasses: :glasses:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HAPPYDUDE said:
I JUST READ A POSTING WERE SOMEONE SAID YOU SHOULD NOT IMPORT YOUR CAR OR TRUCK FROM THE STATES. WHY NOT? I WANT TO BRING MY ALREADY PAID OFF CAR AND TRUCK OVER. IS THERE A PROBLEM WAITING FOR ME AT THE DOCK OR IS THE TAX TO HIGH. WHAT GIVE? :glasses: :glasses:

Many, many posts covering this subject.
In the last 3-4 years I have not heard one good thing about importing a car to the DR. Everybody I know that has done it would never do it again. With the current government and the thiefs in customs, you are going to pay more and have more hassle than you ever imagined, don't do it!

HAPPYDUDE

Jan 16, 2004
HELLO FRIENDS

ARE MOST OF YOU EXPATRIATS LIVING IN GATED COMMUNITIES OR IN THE GENERAL POPULATION. I WOULD LOVE TO HERE YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE, PRO AND CON. I'M STILL IN THE FROZEN NORTH EAST -10 DEGREES. AFTER I CHIP OFF SOMEMORE ICE FROM THE STEPS, I'LL BE BACK. THANKS:laugh:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: HELLO FRIENDS

HAPPYDUDE said:
ARE MOST OF YOU EXPATRIATS LIVING IN GATED COMMUNITIES OR IN THE GENERAL POPULATION. I WOULD LOVE TO HERE YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE, PRO AND CON. I'M STILL IN THE FROZEN NORTH EAST -10 DEGREES. AFTER I CHIP OFF SOMEMORE ICE FROM THE STEPS, I'LL BE BACK. THANKS:laugh:

Very few "real" gated communities in the DR. Expats are living in all sorts of places and enviroments.