Exchange rate : Too much of a bad thing how could there not be protest . . . .

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
between the start of last year to April of last year Dominicans saw thier saving devaluated to 50% of its origional value. Between last October and now Devaluation has cut the dollar value of savings in half again. Now all basic utilities are prices are pegged in dollars so I figure every one is getting a Telephone, propane and electricity bill that is basically 4 times as high in price than it was a year and a half ago. Has there been any change in saleries? With the change in value of the peso in the last 3 weeks I can't see how there could not be major protest, yet all seems quiet. Seems like no one pins this on Hippolito either.

I know I mentioned three items, but take it where you want. I just find that expecting anyone to sit still for this is unbeleivable.

-Lee

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
My electricity bill hasn't increased appreciably from a year ago. I have, however noticed that the minimum charge has changed from 300KWH to 200KWH for this past month. Therefore my electric bill should increase somewhat over the next few months, according to the amount of electricity used.
As to the prices of Gasolene, propane and other basic products, I have noticed a considerable increase in prices.
For example, I'm informed that the prices of staples has just jumped 50% from their costs a month ago.
It would seem that the ogre of inflation has finally arrived with a vengence in this neck of the woods!
The people of Manzanillo depend on the Sea and remittances from the States to survive! That survival will become increasingly difficult in the very near term.

Let us hope that SOME form of corralaton is made between the price increases and the Hipolito Administration!
AND that, come May 16, he and his ilk are voted OUT OF OFFICE!!!

Texas Bill

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ltsnyder said:

I know I mentioned three items, but take it where you want. I just find that expecting anyone to sit still for this is unbeleivable.

-Lee

What can they do? It is their own fault! They voted for these Bozo's. It is they who are feeding the curruption and graft. they only choice the Dominican people really have is to suck it up and take their own medicine.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Inflation is a monster asleep. Once factories, breweries, basically anything requiring machines, have to buy new equipment (by exchanging their pesos at 60-1), even locally produced products will have to raise prices considerably. Of course these events wont come over night, but over the next two years.

Once the exchange rate settles down after the election, inflation will continue to rise.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Re: Re: Exchange rate : Too much of a bad thing how could there not be protest . . . .

Tony C said:
What can they do? It is their own fault! They voted for these Bozo's. It is they who are feeding the curruption and graft. they only choice the Dominican people really have is to suck it up and take their own medicine.

Tony, you are spot on but it will be a warm night in Constanza before you get significant numbers of Dominicans - in and out of the government - to admit responsibility. That's not a knock against Dominicans, it's common to the regional culture. There is always a foreign or external cause for any negative incident in the West Indies.