Spanish phrases I can't find!

Galoot

Jan 22, 2004
This is a great message board - I've learned so much about life in the DR here! After 3 trips to Punta Cana in the last 2 years, my boyfriend and I are hooked and it's now our absolute favourite place to go for some R&R. One problem though - in all the spanish phrase books & websites I've seen, I can't find a proper translation for the following 2 phrases:

1) The air conditioning isn't working/the toilet isn't working

2) Thank you for all your help - you helped to make our trip special! (I always leave a note for the maid each day with a tip, but at the end of our stay I want to express, well, this phrase!)

Can anyone help or direct me to a website where I can translate it properly? I've found a lot of the spanish translation sites on the web give you a literal translation and not necessarily the proper way to say/write it. Thanks so much!! :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
here you go

separate statements: El aire acondicionado no esta funcionando,
el inodoro no esta funcinando tampoco.

Joined together as one statement
Ni el aire acondicionado ni el inodoro estan funcionando.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Galoot said:
2) Thank you for all your help - you helped to make our trip special!
?Gracias por toda su ayuda - usted ayud? a hacer nuestro viaje especial!
mk

Galoot

Jan 22, 2004
Yay!

Thank you so much, Bob & Mkohn! My spanish is very very basic - anything beyond hello, goodbye, thank you, and how are you is a challenge for me (though I did pick up "dos cervasas, por favor" very quickly!) I'm so glad that I'll finally be able to leave a note with something other than "Por -insert maid's name-" or a smiley face! Thanks again! ;)

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
lycos.com has a good free translation. If it is long, you have to do it in chuncks. Go to the other services or something like that on the left side and translate on the left side on the next page. Pick what language to what language, type it in and boom. I have used it quite a bit in the past and found it needed to be cleaned up a bit, but mas or menos it does a good job.