University in the DR

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Hey everyone, right now I'm attending university in Canada and studying International Development with a specialization in Latin American studies. However, I'm really interested in actually moving to the Domincan Republic and attending school there. Which universities are considered to be about the same level in education as Canada? How much should I expect to pay? School visas? Etc etc..Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

Ashley :cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably only three and they teach in Sapnish

PUCMM, Intec, and UNPHU are the Big Three among Dominican private universities.

I do not know the tuition schedules at the others but PUCMM is about $350 US a credit. Plus a registration fee.

Consult: www.pucmmsti.edu.do or www.pucmm.edu.do

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You May Want to Canvas a Few Employers

lilcanadiangal said:
Thank you! I'll look into it.

Ashley

....as to whether they'd consider a degree from either place as acceptable in Canada or US if the plan is to seek work here.

I hire a lot and even though I am in the DR every other month I am not sure how much I'd appreciate an applicant with an U/G degree from a DR school. I'd probably have to look into it, and at least I would, but I know others who'd bin a resume.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I said

there are probably ony three.

Now Rick, it depends on what you are looking for. Degrees from those three are probably on a par with a lot of universities in Canada. Maybe not McGill, but then not many are.

If you want Business Admin, Marketing, Educators or so forth, after the language thing, you probably get a lot for your money. things like Civil Engineering would need to pass local tests and so forth. MDs the same and Dentists, too. By and large these kids do very well. You'd be surpriced how high on the food chain are a lot of Dominicans who graduated from universities here....MIT, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and a lot more have DR personnel on their faculties....

HB

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
I have to agree with HB

The 3 Universities that HB mention are very good, UNPHU is not what it used to be but is still a good university.

I got my BS from INTEC in Industrial Engineering and now I'm doing a Master in IE at Georgia Tech, and I'm dominican and all my previous education was at DR and I'm doing just fine here.

PUCMM, INTEC and UNPHU are very good universities and also UASD is good in some areas because the majority of the teachers from PUCMM, INTEC and UNPHU also teachs at UASD, the only problem with UASD are some students and the lenght of some careers because is the hands of the State.

lilcanadiangal, what are you planning to study? Universities here are good but they don't offer a wide variety of careers. I don't know of any university at the DR that have International Development as a career. You should check that out before making your decision.

The web page for INTEC is:

www.intec.edu.do

There is also one university that gave the classes in English, is UNIBE, they gave classes to a lot of foreigners, but the quality is not the same as the three mention above

Hope it helps,

Johy

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
Johy said:
The 3 Universities that HB mention are very good, UNPHU is not what it used to be but is still a good university.

I got my BS from INTEC in Industrial Engineering and now I'm doing a Master in IE at Georgia Tech, and I'm dominican and all my previous education was at DR and I'm doing just fine here.

PUCMM, INTEC and UNPHU are very good universities and also UASD is good in some areas because the majority of the teachers from PUCMM, INTEC and UNPHU also teachs at UASD, the only problem with UASD are some students and the lenght of some careers because is the hands of the State.

lilcanadiangal, what are you planning to study? Universities here are good but they don't offer a wide variety of careers. I don't know of any university at the DR that have International Development as a career. You should check that out before making your decision.

The web page for INTEC is:

www.intec.edu.do

There is also one university that gave the classes in English, is UNIBE, they gave classes to a lot of foreigners, but the quality is not the same as the three mention above

Hope it helps,

Johy

But private in DR is not the same as private in USA. Private in the USA = prestigious degrees (harvard, yale, etc) as oppose to city or state Univ. Private in DR means you can buy your way out with a degree. In DR, public/city Univ are more prestigious or looked upon better. How do i know this? Because i know people in DR that have gone to schools in those private and public Univ's.

Ask anyone who they rather have as a doctor, someone from UASD or someone from PUCMM.. In public/city Univ's students earn their degree. You cannot buy a degree. In a private univ. it's easier to pass a class, to finish your degree faster.

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Are you crazy?! :confused: , you have no idea what are you talking about. Most companies prefer people that went to INTEC and PUCMM only and they don't even consider people from UASD for certain positions. I'm not saying with this that UASD is a bad university, I'm just saying that here in DR people that goes to private universities like PUCMM, INTEC or UNIBE are more prestigious or looked upon better. How I know this?, because I'm dominican born and raised, that is currently living and working here in DR.

If you are talking to me about people that have a degree from UNIVERSIDAD DEL CARIBE, then I agree with you, people just buy a degree by going to that university, they have such a stupid system that I don't know how can someone learn something

In my dad time (he is 62 years old now) the state university (UASD) was the best and everybody wanted to go there, is not the same anymore.

Anyone in DR can confirm you that.

dropitlikeithot said:
But private in DR is not the same as private in USA. Private in the USA = prestigious degrees (harvard, yale, etc) as oppose to city or state Univ. Private in DR means you can buy your way out with a degree. In DR, public/city Univ are more prestigious or looked upon better. How do i know this? Because i know people in DR that have gone to schools in those private and public Univ's.

Ask anyone who they rather have as a doctor, someone from UASD or someone from PUCMM.. In public/city Univ's students earn their degree. You cannot buy a degree. In a private univ. it's easier to pass a class, to finish your degree faster.

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
Are all these universities in Santo Domingo? Are there also universities in Santiago / Puerto plata and if so, are they good?

project9

May 29, 2004
dropitlikeithot what you said is nothing more than bs. I study economics at PUCMM and i've seen many people who could buy their way to the title being sepparated from their career due to their poor performance. But among your bs their a small trace of truth, getting a degree in UNIBE is a walk in the park compared with PUCMM or INTEC.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You two beat me to the punch!

I was going to start my reply with the same line:

Are you phucking outta your mind??

Only at Intec or Pucmm are kids cut from the university. Ask PIB on this board how many of her entry class graduated from Intec. Ask ANYONE from PUCMM how many that started there are still there...

Hey man, nobody in their right mind would take a UASD MD over a PUCMM MD!!
Have you ever seen the "labs" at UASD? The Library? The Campus? My God man, what ever led you to say something so stupid??

Does UASD graduate some good doctors? Yes, most certainly, they do. It takes them many more man-years to do it, but it is done. Let's be fair, anyone that graduates from the UASD has had to struggle to get through. In some areas a certain political afiliation is helpful, too. However, it is also true that UASD graduates less than3% of their enrollment, while the PUCMM is graduating 12% of their enrollment-on a par with the best US universities. Yet in the UASD you d@mn near have to kill a professor before they will separate you from the university. In the PUCMM if your average falls below 2.0 for three semesters you are out!.

That said, yes, you can buy your way to a degree at many places -- no need to name names-- but the prestigious universities, and I'll include APEC, too, will not tolerate poor performance.

At Georga Tech, I think there is a young Dominican woman doing her Ph.D. Luany Brens Garc?a. Started in Industrial Engineering at PUCMM, M.S. at Rochester Institute of Technology and the doctorate at Georga Tech...and this is just one more case in point.

Please don't try to refute any of this, you'd just look dumber.

HB ::(:(:(

Last edited:
M

Mr.Mark

Who told you that things are how you say? You're talking nonsense. Yes, there are some private universities in which you can buy your degree, but that is not the case of prestigious universities such as INTEC, PUCMM and well, even Unibe -but from what I've been told, graduating from UNIBE is by far easier than doing so from Intec and PUCMM-.

I studied business administration at INTEC and I know what I'm talking about. UASD isn't well renowned in business, but it sure is in Medicine still and it's still the only university in the DR to offer programmes such as Agronomy, Geography, etc.

dropitlikeithot said:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
see

dropitlikeithot said:

I'm learning from, professors, past graduates, on this board, and didn't cost me a penny for a Harvard degree. :nervous: :nervous:

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
"Please don't try to refute any of this, you'd just look dumber."

what, you guys are the bible? just b/c you guys don't
agree with something someone says does not mean
someone/something is dumb or stupid. The word to be use is "ignorance." And even if you say ignorance, it's all subjective. Nothing wrong with lacking knowledge.

In the US if you go to a private school it means it's more
prestigious than if you go to a city/state school but not in
latin american countries. Only the rich or well-off can
attend the expensive schools in DR (or any other country).
Not saying that everyone that goes to private colleges
in DR buy their way out with a degree. But the perception
is that students that graduate from city univ earn their degree; graduation rate might be lower in city schools b/c
students cannot afford to finish their degrees b/c either
they are working at the same time, or do not have money to buy books, food, etc etc. Not like students from private where $$ is not really an issue.

"My God man, what ever led you to say something so stupid?? "

nothing is this world is stupid.

and i'm not fogging out of my mind.

Hillbilly said:
I was going to start my reply with the same line:

Are you phucking outta your mind??

Only at Intec or Pucmm are kids cut from the university. Ask PIB on this board how many of her entry class graduated from Intec. Ask ANYONE from PUCMM how many that started there are still there...

Hey man, nobody in their right mind would take a UASD MD over a PUCMM MD!!
Have you ever seen the "labs" at UASD? The Library? The Campus? My God man, what ever led you to say something so stupid??

Does UASD graduate some good doctors? Yes, most certainly, they do. It takes them many more man-years to do it, but it is done. Let's be fair, anyone that graduates from the UASD has had to struggle to get through. In some areas a certain political afiliation is helpful, too. However, it is also true that UASD graduates less than3% of their enrollment, while the PUCMM is graduating 12% of their enrollment-on a par with the best US universities. Yet in the UASD you d@mn near have to kill a professor before they will separate you from the university. In the PUCMM if your average falls below 2.0 for three semesters you are out!.

That said, yes, you can buy your way to a degree at many places -- no need to name names-- but the prestigious universities, and I'll include APEC, too, will not tolerate poor performance.

At Georga Tech, I think there is a young Dominican woman doing her Ph.D. Luany Brens Garc?a. Started in Industrial Engineering at PUCMM, M.S. at Rochester Institute of Technology and the doctorate at Georga Tech...and this is just one more case in point.

Please don't try to refute any of this, you'd just look dumber.

HB ::(:(:(

M

Mr.Mark

yasmin said:
Are all these universities in Santo Domingo? Are there also universities in Santiago / Puerto plata and if so, are they good?

I don't know what your scale is for quality of univesities, but PUCMM's main campus is in Santiago. From what I know it is the best university campus in the DR. The quality of teaching is very good. However, I'm very apprehensive to PUCMM, I think she's making profits it doesn't deserve from the political influences of her rector, Agripino N??ez Collado.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
(-) nonse? did i mention business degree in UASD? NOO

(+) at least you can admit that there are private univ where you can buy your way out. Not like other people
that do not admit things.

Mr.Mark said:
Who told you that things are how you say? You're talking nonsense. Yes, there are some private universities in which you can buy your degree, but that is not the case of prestigious universities such as INTEC, PUCMM and well, even Unibe -but from what I've been told, graduating from UNIBE is by far easier than doing so from Intec and PUCMM-.

I studied business administration at INTEC and I know what I'm talking about. UASD isn't well renowned in business, but it sure is in Medicine still and it's still the only university in the DR to offer programmes such as Agronomy, Geography, etc.

M

Mr.Mark

When I mentioned what I mentioned about business studies I was not connecting it to the "nonsense" I said you were talking. By nonsense, I was referring to these things you said: But private in DR is not the same as private in USA. Private in the USA = prestigious degrees (harvard, yale, etc) as oppose to city or state Univ. Private in DR means you can buy your way out with a degree. In DR, public/city Univ are more prestigious or looked upon better. How do i know this? Because i know people in DR that have gone to schools in those private and public Univ's.

Private in the DR is prestigious if you go to PUCMM, INTEC, UNIBE and a little bit UNPHU. I don't know if you can buy your degree in UTESA or in O & M, but I think you're a little off in your perception, which is very far from the reality. Plus, you're talking about public universities as if there were many here! There's only one! All the others are private unis, and among these only 4 or 5 are worth the title of universities!

dropitlikeithot said:
(-) nonse? did i mention business degree in UASD? NOO

(+) at least you can admit that there are private univ where you can buy your way out. Not like other people
that do not admit things.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
so if it's bs then why did you say that about unibe ehh?

project9 said:
dropitlikeithot what you said is nothing more than bs. I study economics at PUCMM and i've seen many people who could buy their way to the title being sepparated from their career due to their poor performance. But among your bs their a small trace of truth, getting a degree in UNIBE is a walk in the park compared with PUCMM or INTEC.

Apr 26, 2002
Johy said:
If you are talking to me about people that have a degree from UNIVERSIDAD DEL CARIBE, then I agree with you, people just buy a degree by going to that university, they have such a stupid system that I don't know how can someone learn something
Ouch! What's wrong with the Universidad del Caribe? I know some serious students there who can't afford UNIBE and don't want to deal with the black hole that is UASD.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
of course you have to defend private ones if you attended one. Can you buy your way out from uasd? i don't think so.

Mr.Mark said:
When I mentioned what I mentioned about business studies I was not connecting it to the "nonsense" I said you were talking. By nonsense, I was referring to these things you said, which is this: But private in DR is not the same as private in USA. Private in the USA = prestigious degrees (harvard, yale, etc) as oppose to city or state Univ. Private in DR means you can buy your way out with a degree. In DR, public/city Univ are more prestigious or looked upon better. How do i know this? Because i know people in DR that have gone to schools in those private and public Univ's.

Private in the DR is prestigious if you go to PUCMM, INTEC, UNIBE and a little bit UNPHU. I don't know if you can buy your degree in UTESA or in O & M, but I think you're a little off in your perception, which is very far from the reality. Plus, you're talking about public universities as if there were many here! There's only one! All the others are private unis, and among these only 4 or 5 are worth the title of universities!