Can I live well on 20k?

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
I am formulating a plan to possibly move to the DR and would like the opinion of a few people that actually live there. If I buy a house for cash and eliminate that expense do you think I could live decently on an average of US 20K per year? I am fairly ignorant on expenses such as electricity, phone and cable. I do not need to live in luxury but I would like to be comfortable.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The topic has been discussed before, but IMO if you have the housing expenses already covered you can live very well with 20k a year. Particularly if it is just you and as you said before you don't need extreme luxury. At current prices 20k a year or 1666.00 / month is about 90k pesos / month. You will be in the upper 5% of the peso earning population in terms of income...

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
Thanks for the reply I have always been able to live on less then that in the states except when I decide to buy a new car or something so I figured that would be suffice in the DR. I am actually going to budget 25K a year just in case but it's nice to know I can probably get by on less. I knew this question had probably been asked before but with inflation out of control I wasn't sure if the answers had changed. I do not plan on having a car so that will be another expense that I want have to worry about.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Inflation is only affecting those who make pesos. People making USD's are actually spending less (see a recent comment by Timex). Also if you're going to be mobile then you want to make sure you got transportation covered. Buy a used car/jeep for about 10,000 (Honda CRV or Toyota RAV 4) are my choices. Don't buy new and don't import from the US.