Someone Please Tell Me How Is Puerto Plata?

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
I want to live in the DR for one year, and I am considering Puerto Plata, but I don't know how it is. My 1st choice is Santo Domingo, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE URBAN AREAS. Is Puerto PLata urban/rural...fun, lively, lot of cool apartments, young people, foreignors? HELPPP!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Why not look for yourself?

If you haven't been there why would you want to live there based only on advice from people vs. seeing it yourself? Go visit and decide.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Puerto Plata is small, smokey, dirty, and poor. However, there are some nice areas just outside (e.g. Costambar/Cofresi) and its close to Sosua/Cabarete (30-45 mins drive)

Def. check it out.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Puerto Plata is great!

I have lived in Pto.Pta 15 years and I love it, We have a Malecon that is 5 miles long from end to end, the air is freash from the Ocean breeze, you see the girls cleaning the streets every morning.........Poor?
Just check out the jeepetas on the Malecon when you are here!
Costambar, take a drive by and see every third home has a for sale sign on it due to the crime in the area and the power problems.
In Pto.Pta everything is close by you don't need a car, just jump on the back of a moter concho and go around town.
I lived in Santo Domingo for a year and a half and found it to be very polluted, crowded, dirty and to hot in the summer.
Also Pto.Pta is a tourist area so if you are not independently wealthy there is a better chance of finding tourist related work here.

Good Luck

Gringo

pensac

May 7, 2004
Lawrence

Am hoping to relocate to PPlata & was wondering how to go about finding a furnished studio apartment in a nice & quiet neighborhood. I am an American retiree. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Email-welchlawrence@hotmail.com Thanks
Gringo said:
I have lived in Pto.Pta 15 years and I love it, We have a Malecon that is 5 miles long from end to end, the air is freash from the Ocean breeze, you see the girls cleaning the streets every morning.........Poor?
Costambar, take a drive by and see every third home has a for sale sign on it due to the crime in the area and the power problems.
In Pto.Pta everything is close by you don't need a car, just jump on the back of a moter concho and go around town.
I lived in Santo Domingo for a year and a half and found it to be very polluted, crowded, dirty and to hot in the summer.
Also Pto.Pta is a tourist area so if you are not independently wealthy there is a better chance of finding tourist related work here.

Good Luck

Gringo

urose

May 7, 2004
Puerto Plata- Loved it!

I just got back from RD for a week. I stayed in Puerto Plata at the Grand Flemanco. I initially thought I would not venture out into the community because I kept hearing negative stories about how dangerous it is. But I was so glad that I did go out and meet some interesting people. I loved my experience in Puerto Plata, and I can't wait to go again. Does anyone know about hostiles in the Dominican? Are they available in certain parts? I'd love to know.
Thanks!

Gringo said:

Good Luck

Gringo

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Pop

Personally I think the POP area in general is great but one should never make a decision about moving to a destination without ever having even visited there!!! Visit POP and then post your questions when you are more informed. However, me having been to the POP area several times (and having stayed in less than desirable areas - I come from Toronto, Canada originally, I can say that it's not as bad as people make it sound unless you are a total *****! Sure the power goes off sometimes, there is not hot water, you can't drink the water, etc. BUT you sure as hell can have fun in great weather!!!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Places to stay in Pto.Pta.

urose said:
I just got back from RD for a week. I stayed in Puerto Plata at the Grand Flemanco. I initially thought I would not venture out into the community because I kept hearing negative stories about how dangerous it is. But I was so glad that I did go out and meet some interesting people. I loved my experience in Puerto Plata, and I can't wait to go again. Does anyone know about hostiles in the Dominican? Are they available in certain parts? I'd love to know.
Thanks!

Yes there are many very nice furnished rooms and apartments in Pto.Pta. Available by the day week or year.....Prices range (Per day) between $10.00 and as high as $35.00 per day.

Long term rentals range between US $35.00 to $500.00 ( monthly) depending on location and your standerd of living!

Good Luck

Gringo

urose

May 7, 2004
re: traveling plans

Thanks for the quotes- I'd like to go again possibly in December, so what you gave was helpful. If we were to rent out a place there for the week, are there general grocery stores, shopping, etc. close by? I'm thinking within about 20-30 minutes from the airport in Pto. Pta.

Thanks

Rose

Gringo said:
Yes there are many very nice furnished rooms and apartments in Pto.Pta. Available by the day week or year.....Prices range (Per day) between $10.00 and as high as $35.00 per day.

Long term rentals range between US $35.00 to $500.00 ( monthly) depending on location and your standerd of living!

Good Luck

Gringo

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
urose said:
Thanks for the quotes- I'd like to go again possibly in December, so what you gave was helpful. If we were to rent out a place there for the week, are there general grocery stores, shopping, etc. close by? I'm thinking within about 20-30 minutes from the airport in Pto. Pta.

Thanks

Rose

Puerto Plata is about 25 minutes from the Airport, there are 3 Large supermarkets and many small ones all within a short bus ride around town, there are also a few disco's and lots of Bar's with plenty of shopping places.

If you are going in Dec. My advice would be took book a place to stay early as Xmas is the high season and books out very fast...

Gringo

urose

May 7, 2004
sounds pretty reasonable

Thanks- It sounds reasonable. If we do choose this destination for Dec. we will book early.

Gringo said:
Puerto Plata is about 25 minutes from the Airport, there are 3 Large supermarkets and many small ones all within a short bus ride around town, there are also a few disco's and lots of Bar's with plenty of shopping places.

If you are going in Dec. My advice would be took book a place to stay early as Xmas is the high season and books out very fast...

Gringo