Danger Shmanger

Clyde486

Jan 24, 2004
MontessoriNewark.com
3 friends and I vacationed near Cabarete, golfing at the "Pebble Beach of the Caribbean" Playa Grande, and our caddie offered us a tour. We hesitantly agreed. To our surprise, other than an eagle on 18, it was the highlight of our trip. He took us to his house to meet his wife then to the mountain to meet her family. We had met our DR brother!. We drank coffee,ground fresh from the coffee bean tree, honey from the hive, mangos off the tree. We were treated like family, enjoing the beautiful country side and the sincere warmth of the people who live there. We tried to pay Jose' for the day-trip and he refused-what do you think about that? We'll be back! --Bill

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Glad to hear you saw the other side of the coin and not just the hustlers and hookers that hang around the touristy areas. Glad to hear you enjoyed my country...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Why did you title the post that way?

Did you think before arriving that Cabarete was dangerous?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Think he was answering another thread about being told not to leave the resort. ;)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Two Bad Forum Things

Anna Coniglio said:
Think he was answering another thread about being told not to leave the resort. ;)

1. Starting a new post vs. continuing an existing post

2. Hijacking an existing post to start a totally new topic

3. Posting in all the forums using the cut and paste method of asking one question.

OK, 3 bad forum things.

I am glad the golf caddy mafia didn't claim him as a victim as they are known to do.

S

Stephen

Just Wait!

.........he didn't take any money cause him and his family are waiting for the big ones.

I am sure they have phone numbers and within the next month they'll be getting calls........ the cousin got bit by the bees from the hive, the grandmother has severe head trauma since a mango from tree fell on her head, and the daughter accidently drank poison by grinding the wrong beans!

........JUST WAIT!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Ummmm.....

Clyde486 said:
Sorry about starting a new thread. Remember your first time?

Nope.

Sorry I should have taken the thread, in all the locations it wound up more seriously.

I was thinking those caddies have been known to carry clubs.

Last edited:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
That's why it's important not to hang out with those that have muchos necidades. You were lucky to see the part of the DR that we fall in love with.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Considering some of the posts I have seen (the one about not putting one's luggage in the trunk of the taxi comes to mind) I am not surprised that a lot of people might have the impression that all Dominicans are out to steal their stuff, or something like that. There are definitely mixed messages going out, and for first timers, I am not surprised to see some focusing on the negative.

That being said, and considering that the advice that was given pertained to the Santo Domingo airport and not necessarily to a more "touristy" airport like POP or Punta Cana, I would have to say that the advice is good. A first timer might not make that distinction. All they hear is that "everyone at the airport is trying to rip you off".

I guess what I am trying to say, is that first timers read "don't do this, don't do that, do this, do that and hang on to your bags, money, jewellery, cameras, etc. as if your life depended on it, and by the way, relax, get off the resorts and have a good time". Just a tad confusing.

My personal rule of thumb is to trust your gut. If there are warning bells going off, listen to them. It has worked for me so far.

I have never had a Dominican ask me for anything (other than my phone number, which was "yeah right. I don't think so. Ya gonna call up and chat with my HUSBAND?) other than when they are trying to sell me something, which is taken as a "given". They also sit down a chat with me when they are "off duty" which is the real measure.

One of the things that I have noticed in travelling around is that you will see, in the midst of what can only be described (by North American standards) as "hovels" there are one or two homes (usually painted bright pink) , clean as a new penny with nice flowers planted all around. You know just by looking at them, that they don't have running water or indoor plumbing, but none the less, they are someone's proud home. These always make me smile.

Rose

Rose

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Just Wait!

Stephen said:
.........he didn't take any money cause him and his family are waiting for the big ones.

I am sure they have phone numbers and within the next month they'll be getting calls........ the cousin got bit by the bees from the hive, the grandmother has severe head trauma since a mango from tree fell on her head, and the daughter accidently drank poison by grinding the wrong beans!

........JUST WAIT!
Believe it or not, there are some people that WOULD do things from the kindness of their hearts. On my first trip to the DR, back in 1983, I met a guy named Ramon. He offered to take me and my girlfriend all over the country. He took us to every tourist place in the DR. He even took an early vacation so he can drive us around. We met all his family and his mom would cook for us almost every day.
On the other hand, my brother thought just like you, " just wait, he will ask you for this, he will ask for that".

Well buddy, 21 years and 74 trips later, Ramon is still the person that drives me around. Now he is my bestfriend, I am the godfather of one of his daughters, he still takes his vacation when I go, have offered me to stay with him and his wife, is loved by my whole family and above all, I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE GUY TO ASK ME FOR MONEY OR FOR A FAVOR. In 21 years he has never asked me for anything at all. I offer and he declines.

Maybe he is one in a million, but who's to say that the person that befriended clyde is not another one in a million. Only time will tell. That they exist, yes they do!!!!.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Bad Advice Rose

rmary said:
Considering some of the posts I have seen (the one about not putting one's luggage in the trunk of the taxi comes to mind)

That being said, and considering that the advice that was given pertained to the Santo Domingo airport and not necessarily to a more "touristy" airport like POP or Punta Cana, I would have to say that the advice is good. A first timer might not make that distinction. All they hear is that "everyone at the airport is trying to rip you off".

The advice to make sure your stuff gets into the taxi, either in the trunk while you watch or on the back seat with you applies at NYC, Toronto, any airport, frankly. It may be that they miss something accidentally, but the risk of theft at PUJ or POP is the same as SDQ.

And everyone at the airport is trying to make a buck somehow, hopefully not all of them by stealing from you but the dispatcher wants money, the luggage porters try to grab your stuff, etc. And the taxi driver sure as hell will charge a gringo $50 for a $20 ride if he can.

Vigilence is a good idea and don't imply that touristy aiports are shangri-la's for people who are easy marks. Since they will take that advice and then get took and then say, why did you tell me it was so safe and nice?

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Rick,

I am really not trying to suggest that people should not maintain good vigilance while on vacation (I know, double negative but my head hurts at the moment).

From what I recall of the taxi advice, it was more along the lines of don't put your bags in the trunk, don't tell the driver where you are actually staying, tell him you are staying at a neighboring resort and stuff like that. Now I want to be clear about this. I am not knocking anyone's advice. As I recall, it was from someone who actually lives there, and I freely admit that they know a hell of a lot more on the subject than I do. What I am trying to say (obviously not very well :)) is that it is not surprising, considering some of the posts one reads here about some of the very real dangers present in the DR, that some first timers might be a little paranoic and then surprised when they actually have a good experience with a "real live Dominican". The negative or fearful things that one reads are often the things that one remembers, not necessarily the positive.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

It's -29 with the wind chill here.......:(.

Rose

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
There is a lot of good advice on this forum, and a lot of it is quite neccessary.
However it is a good point that we temper it with something so as not to make someone unduly worried. At the end of the day, some of the things we advise on here, do not apply solely to the DR alone but it is simply a case of using our common sense, which we need to do on any vacation.

Keep up the good work everybody.