Help Accommodation urgently needed

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
After my recent enquiries about rent increases on the Legal Forum, despite paying the huge rent increase, I have now been informed that I have to leave my home as they no longer want tenants on a monthly paying basis.

I could write a book about the wisdom of this, and I guess I could dig my heals in and fight, but my primary concern is to find somewhere else to live that is in the Cabarete/Sosua area, charges in pesos not dollars, and is reasonably permanent.
I know it's the worst possible time to be looking, but it is as it is.

If anyone can suggest or knows of any possibilities, please get in touch asap.

Many thanks,

Linda.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They can't really do that

I think that you can stay there almost indefinately if you just get some legal advice...

You could drag them out for a few years, really. What's more, you could make them pay you to leave. A lot of money!

Consult a lawyer and see...

HB

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Accommodation

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions. Although I don't choose to leave immediately, I really have no desire to stay in a place where they treat people with so little honesty and consideration, so if I can find somewhere else, I would rather pay my meagre pesos to someone else!!

I'll get in touch with Jas, as suggested.

Cheers,
Linda.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Follow H.B.'s advice. You need to get hard-nosed, confront them, and tell the owner you will not leave until they pay you. See if they change their tune a little. Their paying you off will be the cheapest way out for them.

Regards, PJT

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Linda...

Please girl, we had tenants that stayed in my mom's house for over a year w/o paying one cent of rent b/c they were asked to move...

Take your time and look around. Dont let your pride get in the way of your money. Is a bad time for them to let you go as tenant anyway, so they have more to lose than you at this point.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Immediate Crisis Over

Thanks for all your help with this problem but as so often happens in life, events have taken a strange turn. My Dad is really sick in England so I need to go back for a while and will store my life's possessions with a friend and start again when I come back.

It's been good to know, though, that through this community it's possible to get so much practical help and support.

I'll be back, God willing!!!

Namaste,
Linda.